The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Thrush Eliminator Hoof Pick

Thrush Eliminator is a new state of the art Hoof Pick developed by Australian Master Farrier Daryn Drust. This new hoof pick cleans the entire hoof!! Frog, sole, bars, and between shoe and plate to help prevent the bacteria build up in the hard to get to areas.
    Does anyone have any experience with this pick? It seems brilliant, but I wonder if it's just a gimmick...

ETA: http://www.jacksmfg.com/details.asp?product_id=2041
    Last edited by Crazy-Pony; Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:43 PM.

I have it- picked it up for the rescue pony who had bad thrush. I'm not sure that it helped much- I will say, it is surprisingly sharp. Pony obviously thought it was uncomfortable near the worst thrushy areas-flinched and pulled her foot away. When I slipped and hit my own hand it did hurt me a fair bit too- even bled a little where the corner scraped me. My big mare, who has no thrush does not mind it at all. Perhaps it is better as a preventative than a treatment?
    ~Former Pet Store Manager (10yrs)
    ~Vintage Toy Dealer (rememberswhen.us)
    ~Vet Tech Student
    Mom to : 1 Horse, 4 Dogs, 3 Cats, 6 (Former) Stepkids

east central Illinois and working north to the 'burbs

Phineas Taylor Barnum is as right now as he was when he first [allegedly] opined "There's a sucker born every minute......"

1 members found this post helpful.

I guess if buying a fancy hoof pick inspires people to pick the feet regularly and thoroughly, it could aid with thrush. But just about as much as picking the feet regularly and thoroughly with a regular hoof pick would....

FWIW, my favorite hoofpick is one that was given to me by my farrier, made out of bar stock. Nothing fancy, but works just fine.

1 members found this post helpful.

Sure looks like a hoof pick to me. Could double as a screwdriver perhaps.

Then it could eliminate loose screws too.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

I use a normal hoof pick and a brush. Works great and I've never had a case of thrush.

That hoof pick looks really sharp!
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Over the years I have used a screwdriver in a pinch. This looks like a screwdriver. Turn the flat part at right angles to to handle instead of parallel and you have that $2 to $4 (depending on area) hoof pick in barrels and bins just about everywhere that carries horse products.

Can't see how it works any better then the $2 ones to pick sh*t out of their feet.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Ditto. The best way to eliminate thrush is to pick feet out regularly, more often when it's wet/muddy, and squirt some thrush medication on the feet every once in a while.

east central Illinois and working north to the 'burbs

Being somewhat on the penurious side, I make my [ergonomic] version of a Thrush Eliminator(nee, hoof pick) from old rasps. They are nicknamed flightless hummingbirds. Because of the nature of the forging process, I have enough rasp left over to incorporate with four used horseshoes, to fabricate a boot scraper, nicknamed "Rodan" or "Mothra". The hummingbirds are in high demand but are truly a rare bird, bestowed upon only a select few. The birds are available in a wide variety of colors and those lucky enough to have one bestowed on them can choose from any of the colors shown in the link, below.

While I personally claim no mystical or magical healing powers for the birds, it is routinely reported that when properly used, they can [at a minimum] help prevent or reverse/eliminate the ravages to the hoof caused by a plethora of pathogens. It is reported that according to some, having that "bird in hand" and using it correctly is better than sex.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m...4/hoofpick.jpg

I have one. Not that great. It works fine, but is kind of awkward how you have to hold it. The one thing it is good for is cleaning along the edge of the shoe, it removes tiny gravel fast and easy.