The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by DancingArabian View Post
    Walmart has basic sweatshirts for about $5.
    Now come on. The OP is currently wearing J. Crew Cashmere-blend sweaters to the barn. You can't expect her to switch cold-turkey over to Walmart sweatshirts. She needs a "step" program. Cashmere-blend to maybe sheeps'-wool blend? Then perhaps a wool-cotton blend, followed by 100% cotton &/or a - gasp - synthetic fleece? Then maybe, just maybe, a sweatshirt might be in the offing. But I'm still not sure about that.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    Now come on. The OP is currently wearing J. Crew Cashmere-blend sweaters to the barn. You can't expect her to switch cold-turkey over to Walmart sweatshirts. She needs a "step" program. Cashmere-blend to maybe sheeps'-wool blend? Then perhaps a wool-cotton blend, followed by 100% cotton &/or a - gasp - synthetic fleece? Then maybe, just maybe, a sweatshirt might be in the offing. But I'm still not sure about that.
    Do you have to try to be so rude or does it come naturally?

Cashmere is warm. My wearing it has nothing to do with luxury and everything to do with it being incredibly lightweight and warm enough for a chilly native Texan riding in a cold place. Nothing against sweatshirts (wearing one right now); I'd just have to wear about 40 to be warm enough.

Thanks to everyone who gave actual advice. I'm quite thrilled with the $6 Old Navy sweaters I picked up.

Another good alternative to cashmere is merino wool. It's also soft, lightweight, and warm but more affordable and easier to care for.

Though if I were looking for warmth, I would still go more for the polartec long underwear I listed earlier. Those Old Navy sweaters, while cute and fun colors, don't look very warm at all.
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

Still bummed that I couldn't find the $6 sweaters. My Old Navy is the only one in my area that is close. I do have some old cashmere sweaters that I found in the attic that will be great. Cashmere is great for warmth and layering. Nothing wrong in using what you have, regardless of what it is! I will do anything to be warm!

OP,Bacardi had asmile on that post, you shouldn't take things so seriously. I have worn cashmere to the barn, after the moths have gotten to them
    But my favorites are men's Gap wool sweaters that have been washed to tighten them up a bit.

OP,Bacardi had asmile on that post, you shouldn't take things so seriously. I have worn cashmere to the barn, after the moths have gotten to them
    But my favorites are men's Gap wool sweaters that have been washed to tighten them up a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Hinderella View Post
    I don't think Cashmere-wearing-to-the-barn folks (unless said Cashmere has holes in them like ours) have many smiles in them for the rest of us sweatshirt & fleecy-thing-wearing folks - lol!!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mg View Post
    Those Old Navy sweaters, while cute and fun colors, don't look very warm at all.
    Actually, as I posted earlier, they're pretty warm, for $10 sweaters! They're not heavy wool, of course, but it was 35 the other day and I was wearing just one of the sweaters over a cotton cami and was quite comfy.

Then again I've also been feverish.

I blame everyone here for the fact that I'm adding Old Navy sweaters to my shopping list today. I need something non-fleece to wear to the barn under my jacket, and that should be perfect!

I worry enough about ruining my cashmere in everyday life, me+cashmere+the barn would lead to guaranteed disaster, I think.

Just got back from Old Navy w. three sweaters. yippee!!

OP, I you are looking for warmth and comfort, I highly recommend the Under Armour compression fit turtlenecks under the sweater. TJ Maxx and Marshalls are currently selling them for $25 each and they are warm, wicking and comfy! The compression wear ( very form fitting) actually helps support your muscles in the cold.

I personally go with synthetics such as polarfleece due to affordability as well as ease of laundering. I look for wicking materials, so you stay comfortable even when you start working harder. Wool also wicks, but not cotton.