The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Fence Replacements - Reusing Materials or Start Completely Over?

I am seriously considering buying a horse farm currently for sale, but the fence is IMO in terrible shape. It is 'useful,' as in, will contain horses and does not have sharp points they can get snagged on, but it is very ugly, only 2 boards with a hot wire, and randomly set up around the property.

If I was to tear all of the fence down and configure it properly, could I still reuse the fence materials? The boards and posts are in very good shape and were put in not too long ago. I would hate to waste all that wood, and in the process of redoing the fencing, save myself some money where I can.

It is about 6 acres, with 8 paddocks.

Boards are tough to reuse. Installing it you tend to take nominal 16' boards and cut them down to take into account the fact that posts are not installed accurate to 1/32". Taking them down carefully and removing nails takes time, and then when you try to use them half of them will be too short. It can be done if you have more time than money, but if you are paying by the hour, buy new ones. Posts are a better candidate for reuse if they were not cemented in, but if you want to go from 2 board to more, you might want taller posts too.