The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

If those who make plastic stirrups are paying attention, there is a business opportunity in all of this. These stirrups are black because the nylon pellets used to mold these items are most commonly available in black and "natural" beige colors. However, it is possible to add color additives to the nylon before it goes into the extruder/melter. There's your silver/gray stirrups.
    Last edited by caballero; Dec. 28, 2012 at 10:16 AM.

7 members found this post helpful.

I agree that the lightweight, plastic black stirrups should be officially listed as unconventional, but hopefully not completely banned... while I agree it is difficult for the judge to see, I don't think a rider should be DQed as it is not a safety issue. I wonder if this would also apply to the Herm Sprengers.

I'm an adult using these, and I freaking love them. I have an autoimmune disease, and my joint pain while riding has been greatly lessened since I started using these.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by caballero View Post
    ha ha ha

I wouldn't be surprised in Royal Riders and other companies who make the black composite material stirrups start coming out with versions in silver/grey if the rule goes into effect.

Quote Originally Posted by mroades View Post
    As a judge I very much dislike them. We didnt have them when I was showing in the equ and we all managed.
    Why do you dislike them, just because they didn't have them when you were showing, or is there another reason?

As a judge I very much dislike them. We didnt have them when I was showing in the equ and we all managed.
    I understand where you're coming from. However, I am a person who has ankle problems (resulting from gymnastics injuries in the past), and I have found the flex stirrups I used to have, and now the RR composite stirrups which I recently purchased, greatly reduce the ankle pain I experience in comparison to normal metal stirrups.

You could argue that in the past riders got by without saddle pads too...I guess times change and so do new technologies, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis

3 members found this post helpful.

It would seem there have been plenty of advances in various technologies in recent years, and it seems to me that it would be a shame to discount some useful ones completely just because they didn't previously exist. As someone who has had knee problems, I've found flexible stirrups to be quite helpful and have alleviated pain on a pretty large scale.

As I'm not a junior, it's rarely been an issue for me and it won't kill me to use fillis stirrups for the ones in a blue moon equitation class that I do, but it just strikes me as silly to discount something that works wonders for some people just because it doesn't work for you.

The color thing, I can understand.
    ---
    They're small hearts.

As a judge, I dislike the black stirrups only because they are tough to see. I don't care if they are made of a different material. My only problem with them is that it's hard to see the position of the rider's foot in the stirrup. Also, it would be much easier to miss it if somebody lost a black stirrup on a dark horse in a dark corner for just a step, then got it back again. That is a major error under the rules, but it is much harder to see it happen with that color scheme.

It would bother me to eliminate the best round in an equitation class just because the rider had the wrong stirrups on the saddle, but judges have to follow the rules, just like everybody else.

2 members found this post helpful.

OP, can I ask what brand your stirrups are? I have shocking knees, netball and basketball do nothing for your joints.

Quote Originally Posted by annaelizabeth View Post
    OP, can I ask what brand your stirrups are? I have shocking knees, netball and basketball do nothing for your joints.
    http://www.statelinetack.com/item/md...rrups/E003050/

They have done wonders for me. I had never heard of them before I was on stateline tack and decided to give them a try. I had had herm springers, regular jointed irons, and steel irons before. All caused incredible pain. I tore my MCL 2 years ago and 6 months later tore my ACL then was diagnosed with patellar femoral disease and severe conformation issues. I'm not exactly sure what is special about these stirrups that helps, but I don't question it. Hope this helps!

PS. These come in stainless. May have to get a pair!

The Great White North, where we get taxed out the wazoo

I have a pair of those in stainless and really like them, thecrubber on the sides is a light colour as well. Being able to take the twist out of the leather and pressure off of your knees is great for stuff like hacking and hunting where you are in the tack for several hours at a time.

I would think those would be fine as the problem is with the color of the stirrup, not the stirrup itself.

So glad to see this response. Growing up we used old school fillis style stirrups and close contact saddles. We all survived and many of us still do. I say don't take the easy way out, do things the way they were meant to be!

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by anmoro View Post
    So glad to see this response. Growing up we used old school fillis style stirrups and close contact saddles. We all survived and many of us still do. I say don't take the easy way out, do things the way they were meant to be!
    I like you. Glad you joined.
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

Quote Originally Posted by anmoro View Post
    If you don't have joint issues, flexible stirrups aren't "easier", as far as I know. A lot of people find them harder to ride in than fillis style stirrups. I don't think there is any advantage to using them; I don't think they give anyone more of a competitive edge, do you?

Are you a doctor?

Because unless you are and you can enlighten us on the biomechanics of why old school stirrups are across the board better for those with legitimate joint or knee and ankle issues, I'm afraid I can't possibly understand why you're telling people to use tack that exacerbates those issues or causes pain.
    ---
    They're small hearts.

8 members found this post helpful.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

For the same reason, they should also outlaw black gloves with bay and brown and black horses.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

6 members found this post helpful.

I don't see how they can be labeled unconventional. If your leg position sucks in regular fillis irons it will still suck in lightweight/bendy/twisty topped irons as well. (trust me I've been there, I got Herm Sprenger bendy irons because of ankle pain and still needed to work to get my leg to where I wanted it, there was no sudden magical change) No "high tech" iron will ever make up for good ol' no stirrup work.