The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

What exactly do the flexible stirrups do?
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

Quote Originally Posted by mroades View Post
    As a judge I very much dislike them. We didnt have them when I was showing in the equ and we all managed.
    Really now, perhaps you would also advocate turning back the clock on other technical advances such as real safety helmets as opposed to the decorative velvet ones worn back in your day or heavy wool coats, boots that don't fit like a glove, etc.

5 members found this post helpful.

As a judge I very much dislike them. We didnt have them when I was showing in the equ and we all managed.
    Well yes I could manage, but I probably wouldn't be able to walk after. Or make it around the course without my knee giving out, which I'm sure you don't want to see happen. Before my knee injury happened I rode in fillis irons. But it is simply not possible anymore, and as a young rider I would like to still be walking for a long time without having a knee replacement at 30.

2 members found this post helpful.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

You guys are so ridiculous. I happen to be a traditionalist. It certainly doesnt change the placings if you ride the best, but really, one does have to have preferences, or we can all just get our participation certificates that we all tied because we don't want to offend anyone, and go home!

If you need jointed stirrups by all means use them, I do not have to like them! And I certainly don't support making it a rule either, I was just handing over my opinion, which many judges do not do.

It is almost not worth posting on here anymore....sheesh
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

10 members found this post helpful.

My trainer was one of the ones who pushed for this... she did specifically because of the color (although she has made it abundantly clear to those of us who ride with her that she does not care for the cheese grater stirrups!) and the fact that it makes seeing the position of the stirrup on the foot more difficult.

If you need jointed stirrups by all means use them, I do not have to like them! And I certainly don't support making it a rule either, I was just handing over my opinion, which many judges do not do.
    I don't like them either, so don't worry—you're not alone. I don't see how it's possible to have a solid base of support in them, and they exacerbate my ankle pain much more than they relieve it.

I do very much like these though: http://www.smartpakequine.com/mdc-hu...up-10325p.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    I don't like them either, so don't worry—you're not alone. I don't see how it's possible to have a solid base of support in them, and they exacerbate my ankle pain much more than they relieve it.

I do very much like these though: http://www.smartpakequine.com/mdc-hu...up-10325p.aspx
    I feel the same way about jointed stirrups for my ankle. I rode in them for years and years and my ankle killed me after riding. Why it took me so long to put two and two together, I have no idea. I switched to the MDC hunter stirrups a few months ago and my ankle feels so much better. Still gets a little sore after a long ride but it no longer keeps me up at night.

If judges want to be able to see the rider's foot better, it follows they might also want to see the riders' hands too. I expect to see a call for white or at least brown gloves so judges can see the excess movement of the riders' hands.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Quote Originally Posted by supershorty628 View Post
    (although she has made it abundantly clear to those of us who ride with her that she does not care for the cheese grater stirrups!)
    Just out of curiosity, why no on the cheese graters?
    Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis

Quote Originally Posted by Kryswyn View Post
    If judges want to be able to see the rider's foot better, it follows they might also want to see the riders' hands too. I expect to see a call for white or at least brown gloves so judges can see the excess movement of the riders' hands.
    It's easy to see the hands with or without gloves. And the more they move, the easier they are to see.

1 members found this post helpful.

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

IMHO it's easier to see black gloved hands than black boots in black stirrups, especially against a dark horse. So, I can see the reason for the rule. I figure the black bendy stirrup company has almost a year to come up with an alternative if the rule passes.
    The Evil Chem Prof

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Peggy View Post
    IMHO it's easier to see black gloved hands than black boots in black stirrups, especially against a dark horse. So, I can see the reason for the rule. I figure the black bendy stirrup company has almost a year to come up with an alternative if the rule passes.
    I believe there are even bendy stirrups with grey "tubing" on the side. Not sure if they are the 4-way ones like Sprenger, but I see many ppl with them.

I think the issue is with those of us who have composite stirrups. I am not complaining; I understand where they are coming from (black on black), but I will have to change my stirrups for the one eq class I do.

ETA: I have heard these are a great alternative to the RR composite stirrups. They are made of aluminum and have a wide stirrup bed (they are light and have a wide base of support), and also come with regular stirrup pads to change out if you don't like the cheese graters. I won't give up my RR for jumpers, but I might get these to swap out for eq: http://www.onestopequineshop.com/Equ...s_p_11004.html
    *It says that these weigh 16oz, only 6oz more than the RR composite
    [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis

Quote Originally Posted by jlphilli View Post
    Just out of curiosity, why no on the cheese graters?
    She thinks you shouldn't need them if you have a proper leg and foot position. She's not one of those people who says you can't use tack just because she doesn't like it, but she's not a fan of them. I know I've used them before and actually preferred my plain Filis irons (although I have special pads on them because I wear down the rubber ones in about a month).

She's also not a fan of the bright blue Jin stirrups that I am coveting

She's also not a fan of the bright blue Jin stirrups that I am coveting
    I've seen a link in the past to stirrup irons with a very pretty floral pattern on them. They are cute, and no doubt coveted by many people, but I hate to think of the reaction they would get from the more "traditional" judges. Or from GM.

She thinks you shouldn't need them if you have a proper leg and foot position.
    I see--that's what I had thought. The main reason I "can't live without them" is because they have saved by butt (or should I say my foot?) so many times from the rush into the show ring with a slick or wet boot bottom! lol

Quote Originally Posted by PaintedHunter View Post
    I'm an adult using these, and I freaking love them. I have an autoimmune disease, and my joint pain while riding has been greatly lessened since I started using these.
    Just curious but how would the non bendy black stirrups in question help with joint pain?
    I've used the bendy ones for about 10 years. Without them I can't ride for more than 10 minutes. Bad ankle fracture, pins, plates, screws.
    The bendy stirrups are not the ones being targeted. It's the black composite ones.
    Link to rule change proposal.

http://www.usef.org/documents/ruleChanges/174-12.pdf

And yeah, it has to be voted on, it hasn't passed yet.
    Fan of Sea Accounts

Quote Originally Posted by PINE TREE FARM SC View Post
    Just curious but how would the non bendy black stirrups in question help with joint pain?
    The non-bendy black stirrups (the Royal Riders) have a wider tread. That makes a huge difference for me, both because of a Morton's neuroma in my left foot and a ton of past ankle trauma. Luckily, companies like MDC make a traditional stainless version. As I said above, the jointed bendy stirrups wreak havoc on my ankles and knees.

I would say the rule change as presented could use clarification - would bendy stirrups with black rubber on the sides count? What about black fillis pads?
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    The non-bendy black stirrups (the Royal Riders) have a wider tread. That makes a huge difference for me, both because of a Morton's neuroma in my left foot and a ton of past ankle trauma. Luckily, companies like MDC make a traditional stainless version. As I said above, the jointed bendy stirrups wreak havoc on my ankles and knees.

And I'm sure the lighter material helps too - shock absorption or some such. But the wider tread is most definitely helpful.

As a judge, can you also understand that there may be situations which warrant their use? I have a completely reconstructed left ankle and foot. Cadaver grafts, hardware, bones broken and reset, grooves carved into my malleolus and calcaneus...the works. I have decreased sensation and my ankle doesn't flex much beyond 100 degrees. Those stirrups make it possible for me to put enough weight in my heels to ride like anyone else. I don't agree that I should be penalized for an otherwise lovely round (great distances, good, solid equitation on a suitable mount) because of a pair of flexible stirrups that I cannot ride without. This, of course, is not the case for everyone who uses them, but most I know who have jointed irons need them for a true physiological reason.
    Nine out of ten times, you'll get it wrong...but it's that tenth time that you get it right that makes all the difference.