The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default New Equitation Rule?

Did I read correctly in the Chronicle that black stirrups will not be allowed in the equitation anymore? It was part of the new guidelines. IMHO I think that is crazy. Having to buy new stirrups just to show in the eq? I have to use the bendy stirrups for my knee. I understand it would just be a few rounds, but my knee can barely hold up for that long in the bendy-shock-absorbing-specialty- irons I have now. No way in just regular steel could I last. I understand it is so they can see the foot better, but outlawing black stirrups completely from eq is a lot. Especially With the amount of junior riders that have them.

Take your stirrups to a faux painter if you need them for your knee.

I am not kidding. A good faux painter can make them look like steel.
    http://STA551.com
    845-363-1875

1 members found this post helpful.

I have non-black bendy stirrups.
    Here they are: http://www.doversaddlery.com/horse-s...ons/p/X1-0735/
    If i smell like peppermint, I gave my horse treats.
    If I smell like shampoo, I gave my horse a bath.
    If I smell like manure, I tripped.

Quote Originally Posted by STA View Post
    Take your stirrups to a faux painter if you need them for your knee.

I am not kidding. A good faux painter can make them look like steel.
    Really? You don't think that that's just a wee bit cheating?

If you can't use regular irons, don't do equitation. That seems like the most obvious solution.

9 members found this post helpful.

Thank you STA For that Idea. And Dottie, I had those but sadly they didn't work for my knee. They were great for my "normal" leg but didn't work for my bad one. I ended up having to spend $$ on some crazy wacko specialty brand that I can't ever remember the name of.

Does anybody know when this new rule will be applied?

Where did you see this?

I don't see any mention of it in the current USEF rules online. It was in the rules a few years ago, but it didn't last long.

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    Where did you see this?

I don't see any mention of it in the current USEF rules online. It was in the rules a few years ago, but it didn't last long.
    It was in the chronicle I received today. In the section about the new USHJA president and format.

Tha Ridge, I'm sorry that I have a medical issue with my knee, and have found that fillis stirrups and most brands irritate it greatly. But I would like to continue on in equitation, and would like to do so pain-free.

23 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    Really? You don't think that that's just a wee bit cheating?

If you can't use regular irons, don't do equitation. That seems like the most obvious solution.
    If the issue is color, not material, no, it isn't cheating.

13 members found this post helpful.

OP perhaps you could get some sort of accommodation? I don't show at A shows so I have no idea if this is the case but for IHSA I think if you can document a disability/medical issue and have it evaluated by the stewards you can get accommodations made.

Quote Originally Posted by caballero View Post
    If the issue is color, not material, no, it isn't cheating.
    I think the rule is targeting these stirrups (http://www.smartpakequine.com/royal-...ups-2369p.aspx). If so, the issue is absolutely material, not color.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    I think the rule is targeting these stirrups (http://www.smartpakequine.com/royal-...ups-2369p.aspx). If so, the issue is absolutely material, not color.
    It would be nice to be able to read the actual change proposal.

The reason for the rule change is that is too difficult for judges to see the black stirrups against a dark horse. It was actually a proposal that started from them. It has nothing to do with material and everything to do with judges wanting to see where the stirrup is on the foot (or not of the foot). It was even suggested at the convention to simply spray paint the black stirrups if it was an issue for a rider that had black stirrups.

4 members found this post helpful.

There you go, problem solved: http://www.krylon.com/products/premium_metallic/

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeySeeMonkeyDo View Post

Does anybody know when this new rule will be applied?
    It says right in the Chronicle article it will go into effect next December 1st, 2013 only IF it passes at the USEF convention next month.

It was my understanding that the ruling was as the previous poster explained; it's indeed quite hard to see a black boot behind a black stirrup, particularly on a dark horse.

I did wonder how the rule would affect the flex stirrup users, as the stirrup isn't black, just the rubber sleeve, but they too make the foot hard to see.

I personally hate the flex stirrups, and think they often do more harm than good, but I wouldn't penalize a rider "just" for using them (IMO they take care of that themselves, by making a rider wobbly--which isn't a plus, after all...)

Why the fuss, though about the black on the flex stirrups? If you feel compelled to use them, duct tape comes in white, after all....

3 members found this post helpful.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

As a judge I very much dislike them. We didnt have them when I was showing in the equ and we all managed.
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    It says right in the Chronicle article it will go into effect next December 1st, 2013 only IF it passes at the USEF convention next month.
    Thanks, I had just gone back and reread the post to see if it said.

And I am guilty of having a black stirrup(looks like the herm springers, not all black), black boot, and black horse. So I understand why the judges would want this change. I just didn't know if it was for material or color. Without these stirrups I seriously wouldn't be able to ride. I had to take a 6 month break when the problem originated, and then went through about 5 pairs trying to find something that was right before I found these. If the rule does pass I guess I will be looking for white duck tape or spray paint!

City of delusion in the state of total denial

This came up as a topic of discussion at a horse show a few weeks ago. My understanding from one of the USHJA Directors- and I could have misunderstood- was that the problem was color and not material, and that a can of silver spray paint on the black stirrups would be an acceptable solution. I also ride in the Royal Riders type, or I cannot ride at all.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

at work and the barn...middle of nowhere PA

I always thought jointed stirrups were frowned upon in the eq ring? Either way, I'd imagine that most juniors would not "need" them (or the unjointed Royal Riders, which I have and love), and a quick search on smartpak shows me that the regular fillis irons cost around $31, so having to buy new stirrups just to show in the eq shouldn't break the bank. I think I'd rather have a separate pair just to show in the eq rather than spray paint my RRs!