The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Please be careful with oxygen peroxide as it can cause chemical burns. I would not use it on my own skin.

So sorry you are going through this. I tried calling my salon but they are closed for the Holidays...

Left for where??????

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

In all seriousness, you could call a poison control center...they have an amazing amount of resources and info on practically every thing around. If you do not have much luck within an hour or so, that is what I would do.

5 members found this post helpful.

OMG. STOP RUBBING CAUSTIC AGENTS ON YOUR FACE !!!! You will end up having chemical burns!

Steam your face over a big pot of simmering water, with your head encased by a towel. You might have to do this for a half an hour or more (taking five minute breaks, as needed.) You need to put MOISTURE back INTO the clay so it softens. Or, run a bath, and submerse your face for as long as you can hold your breath, for a half hour or so.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    This is the new Chicken in the Oven thread!!!
    I know! The drama! Please, get help to her! Who lives nearby and could rush over with supplies? Make sure update us regularly or this could get out of control with speculation!

1 members found this post helpful.

How about something like a sugar scrub? I don't know anything about chemistry, but I do know that sugar scrubs are actually safe for your face, unlike peroxide and such!!

I agree with getting moisture back into your skin. Your attempts to remove are likely just drying you out even more, making the mask even more difficult to remove.
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

1 members found this post helpful.

Water is probably your best bet (re: bentonite). Sounds like you somehow created the right conditions to turn your mask to concrete. I would soak it. Unfortunately, you've tried oils and Vaseline, which will inhibit water from dissolving it, so it may take... a really long time.
    Jer 29: 11-13

I also have to wonder what you smell like right now. Tequila, lemon juice, nail polish remover, vinegar... Victim of some frat party gone wrong!

18 members found this post helpful.

I second the steaming idea...get a large pot of water to a simmer, take off the stove, and hold your face over it with a big towel covering your head and the pot. (come out for air every now and then.) Hopefully the steam would get some moisture in there!
    "On the back of a horse I felt whole, complete, connected to that vital place in the center of me...and the chaos within me found balance."

Just a few comments about the ingredients list. The main ingredients are water, followed by two types of clay. I would think water would eventually soften these up, although this may be complicated by the fact that the mask has dried on your skin.

But many of the ingredients further down the list (Glycerin, Glyceryl Stearate, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Butylparaben, Propylparaben, Isobutylparaben) are not that soluble in water. Probably even less so once dry... Of course it depends on how much of these ingredients are actually in the formula, and we don't know the proportions. Have you tried something like baby oil (mineral oil)? Or you could carefully try using a little 70% rubbing alcohol on a cotton pad, being careful not to get it in your eyes or the membranes of your nose and mouth.

4 members found this post helpful.

and please make sure that when you are steaming your face, watch the towel near the heating element. We don't need your hair to go up in flames.

6 members found this post helpful.

Oh dear! Don't try too many remedies. I think the poison control line is a good idea, save a trip to the E.R...

Quote Originally Posted by Aggie4Bar View Post
    Water is probably your best bet (re: bentonite). Sounds like you somehow created the right conditions to turn your mask to concrete. I would soak it. Unfortunately, you've tried oils and Vaseline, which will inhibit water from dissolving it, so it may take... a really long time.

That is extremely worrisome, yes.

I think steaming/soaking patiently will be the ticket. But seriously... Stop scrubbing. Stop. If you end up with a chemical burn you will need to slather your face in vaseline NOTHING ELSE. If you have a very fine cheesecloth/muslin you can lay that over it also. You want the nerve endings/raw skin to not be exposed to air, it will heal faster.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Gen View Post

But many of the ingredients further down the list (Glycerin, Glyceryl Stearate, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Butylparaben, Propylparaben, Isobutylparaben) are not that soluble in water. Probably even less so once dry... Of course it depends on how much of these ingredients are actually in the formula, and we don't know the proportions. Have you tried something like baby oil (mineral oil)? Or you could carefully try using a little 70% rubbing alcohol on a cotton pad, being careful not to get it in your eyes or the membranes of your nose and mouth.

And let this be a lesson to us all.....avoid papabens!

Papa Ben? Did he smear it on her face?!
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Would a humidifier work the same as steam? It would take longer, but I wouldn't have to worry about going up in flames.

I'm wandering the grocery store aisles now. Picking up more Vaseline (just in case), Neosporin(?), a lemon (per google), and a bottle of wine (with straws, just in case I can't get this stuff off). Anything else?

I think that the manager is following me around as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

24 members found this post helpful.

If you manage to get that off I'd want to slather my face with olive oil or coconut oil-something soothing. Your poor face is going to be very dry and sore!

You're in the grocery store like that?? LOL You rock.

18 members found this post helpful.

OMG... I feel really bad for you but this is priceless.

13 members found this post helpful.

A humidifier would not work as well as steam. You can take the pan off the stovetop and tent the towel over it at the table and sit down/relax... And steam.

Please, no lemon. Wine is a great idea!
    ---

Quote Originally Posted by cowboymom View Post
    You're in the grocery store like that?? LOL You rock.
    Hyperventilating.
    If I knew what I were doing, why would I take lessons?

"Things should be as simple as possible,
    but no simpler." - Einstein

3 members found this post helpful.