The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What did you get today. This is to be fun and things to be thankful for.

Been very luck this year, we are happy and healthy and that is the big thing. Butttttttttt........

I did get some great gifts. Top of the list is a KitchenAid 12 cup Food Processor. I have wanted one forever, the only down side is that the color is Rose (pink). Who in there right mind thinks light pink is the right color for kitchen appliances. (DH got it for me and it was the last one, I am not taking it back for a new color)

add to the list of things is ovenmits, cooking utensils, boot socks, a Garfield book, a new this years painted pony for the tree and tons of chocolate.

But the best is having two whole days off work to just rest, don't need to be anywhere and I am just loving being lazy and resting.

Pics of my new kitchen toy, it makes the nicest sound.
    http://sphotos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto...15652674_n.jpg

http://sphotos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto...36265512_n.jpg
    Are you going to cowboy up or lie there and BLEED?

Pink footies jammies from my mom and a Minnesota Golden Gophers winter hat from my awesome DH - complete with Goldy the Gopher on the top of the hat. Goofy...but way cool if you love the Gophers as much as me :-)
    Come to the darkside...we have cookies.

I didn't really get anything this year, but did buy myself a whole bunch of earrings and a couple of sweaters with my bonus. I then made a bunch of charitable donations to three dog rescues, Planned Parenthood and a Boston women's homeless charity. Trying to decide if there is another charity I want to give to before the end of the year.
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

5 members found this post helpful.

Well, I'm typing this from my new MacBook Air. Totally unexpected - DH spoils me. We got lots of new things for the baby coming in April. Dubarry knock off's from my mom, that will probably stay nice enough to wear out and about for awhile since I can't ride right now.

I'm feeling super blessed today. Everyone in the family is happy and healthy. Not much to complain about.

LOL, you sound like me, Eleanor! When I get kitchen stuff, I'm positively giddy! I took tons of photos of my stand mixer back when I got that.

This year's BEST gift was having my youngest daughter home for the holiday and having my oldest engaged, happy and both girls sleeping home on Christmas Eve.

And a few days before Christmas, wonderful Mr Blue came home with a surprise for me. 2 Gel-Pro mats for the kitchen. Standing on tile for hours daily prepping for the holidays was killing me...those mats might be overpriced but they're pretty freaking heavenly!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

3 members found this post helpful.

Where humidity isn't just a word, it's a way of life.

Our TVs and desktop were destroyed by a lightning strike a couple weeks ago and we have been pricing replacements but really couldn't afford such a purchase with DD just graduating with her masters, her knee surgery and therapy costs and regular Christmas expenses, so we've been making do with a rather old TV with a bad picture...woke up to a rather large new TV my DD bought for us with $$ from her new job.
    I was very touched that she waited up til we went to bed to set it up so we'd "have our very own Santa suprise since we've always made her Christmases amazing" (sniff, sniff).

Other than that, my favorite gift was my (elderly) parents, brother and nephew being here to celebrate with us; that is what made it an amazing Christmas for me.

10 members found this post helpful.

I got a milk frother! Total luxury good- but I love coffee with 1/3 milk and regular milk gets it too cold. So, I am in love with my new milk frother! Heck I'm going to have a cup of warm frothy milk before bed (like I already have a few times today.) I never even knew these things existed til I saw them in a gift idea article. So happy my really practical MIL splurged on this ridiculous gift for me!

Not here yet but hubby got me a new to me saddle from a fellow cother. I got a new engagement/wedding set (I lost mine ). These are much nicer thant he originals Sock Monkey feety jammies. I'm wearing them now. Love them. My grandson loved them too. Hubby moved the thingy for the tv so I could rearrange the furniture. I love it. It was a great Christmas.

DH bought me a Beval saddle, a dozen red roses, maybe 40 orange roses, a gift certificate for a massage, and a few other sweet odds and ends. I got him a bunch a nice things too (way too much to list!). I bought my son a pony and everything that goes with it and I paid for my mom to get her barn painted. The best gift of all was getting to go on a trail ride in the snow with DH on Christmas. I was called off work today, so it was a completely unexpected ride! I'm 31 years old and this was the best Christmas I've ever had!!
    Boarding for Show, Pleasure, and Retirement horses. www.LockeMeadows.com

3 members found this post helpful.

I got SmartWool socks! Way to go DH!

He also got me two large mugs, which were made by the mother of one of his co-workers. They're lovely, and in a wonderfully oversized but still manageble capacity. She does great work, but doesn't want to be bothered with the tax issues from selling her work, so she just gives a list of charities she supports, and shell give you pottery if you make a donation
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

1 members found this post helpful.

I got wonderful gifts this year but the best was spending it with my family. My dad was dx with cancer on dec 29 2011 and is now cancer free....YES! My "fake grandma" also came to have dinner with us. She is so lovely and classy and real. Its wonderful just to hear about her adventures and views on life!

And of course I'm thankful for the iPad I'm typing on, but all the nice champagne makes typing a little tricky. 1st world problems!
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

I got DH dusting the house and making me lasagne for dinner (with homemade pasta), I got a warm fire in the woodstove, I got a nice long hot shower, I got a walk in the rain with DH and the dogs, I got an email from my brother with a picture of my niece in the Xmas dress I got for her. I got to sit and read a book with a cat napping on my lap, I got to do some yoga and meditation - I got lots of great gifts in my life!
    My Mustang Adventures - Mac, my mustang | Annwylid D'Lite - my Cob filly

"A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

6 members found this post helpful.

I am a new business owner, so I have had to cut out a lot of things (riding, getting my hair colored, etc) as I just don't have disposable income right now. The one thing that I still allow myself is my nails (just my hands, no pedi's, once a month). I am now up to $110 in gift certificates to my favorite salon! WOOOOOT

I didn't get anything today 'cuz we're not doing anything, and SO proclaims because he comes from a communist country, he doesn't need to do that. He sure likes getting gifts, though. He'll get me something by making me go shopping with him.

I got some things from my students. One gave me a GREAT card saying how much she was learning and how I opened her eyes to what is going on with the world. Another is a boy who is struggling and his mother sort of blew up on me the beginning of the year because he ALWAYS did well and now he's FAILING! He's kind of not the most attractive and a little pudgy, but he's been working and getting better, even if it is a struggle, and I always write "Dude! Do ALL of your work!" on his paper. He gave me the best gift. He had a note on it NOT to open it until Xmas (I opened it Friday!) and it was a little knit scarf. The note was the best. He wrote he had learned to unleash his inner talents, and this was the result! So cool.

I got a big box of Godiva Chocolates which is exactly what I wanted. In about a week I'll probably regret that choice, but right now it seems like a wonderful present.

2 members found this post helpful.

The thing I wanted most and need: To wake up next to DH, go out to the stable and rub all my wonderful horses on the head and give them Christmas treats, and then to spend time with my wonderful family.

Now the things I got that were so kind of my family and friends that just rock:
    From students and boarders a joint gift of tickets to War Horse and a hotel in Chicago
    Smart wool socks, a beautiful hat knitted by the same student for socks.
    A lock box for boarders to drop their checks off in YAY

From wonderful DH: The new Nexus that I am currently typing on along with the newest blue tooth keyboard. A DVD that I have been waiting for. An art set that has all I need and then some, and a hunter ornamante.

From my parents who were way to generous: A Verisimo Starbucks machine along with pods yay tomorrow morning! And a way over the top gift of them offering to pay for my 2013 and 2014 show season WOW

But at the end of the day, all I need is my family

Renewal of my subscription to The Eclectic Horseman and a beautifully framed photo of my 5 grand nieces and 1 grand nephew, my horse, Kerigan, and myself taken when the kids came to visit at Thanksgiving. Got some other goodies too but these two were the nearest to my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    LOL, you sound like me, Eleanor! When I get kitchen stuff, I'm positively giddy! I took tons of photos of my stand mixer back when I got that.

This year's BEST gift was having my youngest daughter home for the holiday and having my oldest engaged, happy and both girls sleeping home on Christmas Eve.

And a few days before Christmas, wonderful Mr Blue came home with a surprise for me. 2 Gel-Pro mats for the kitchen. Standing on tile for hours daily prepping for the holidays was killing me...those mats might be overpriced but they're pretty freaking heavenly!
    You know you are easy to buy for when you are over joyed to get new oven mits.

We have those mats at work, love them.
    Are you going to cowboy up or lie there and BLEED?

My family is very frugal 364 days a year. Lots of "I hate this sweater but it fits so I can't justify a new one." Christmas is a day full of lovingly saying "here is a new XYZ so please give away the one you've been wearing for the past 20 years."

So on top of some new clothing items to replace some heavily worn items, I received a few totally unexpected but awesome items.

1) A Force dryer so that I can finally wash and dry Dexter's jacket between shows
    2) A mini agility set that includes weaves, a jump, and tire jump so that we can play around between classes.
    3) Vienna Reins for Ms. Mare so that I can do more canter work on the lunge line.

Getting to hang out with my family was the best present I could ask. That being said, I was thrilled and very touched by those three presents since they were items I wouldn't have indulged in otherwise.

When I was 13, my very best present was my first "hard hat" and it was my very favorite present that year. This year, I got a new helmet and I was just as excited about this one, the umpteenth, as I was about the first one (and this one fits a whole lot better and ought to actually protect my head!)