The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default True Sign of Aging

I did it and I am feeling a little odd. I bought a protective vest for riding at home. After a recent flip over wreck with the resulting shattered collar bone and severe concussion, followed by a small fall with a compression fracture of L1 and the addition of a new unstarted 3 year old warmblood I have given up and gotten a protective vest. I will use it at home but am not going into the show ring with the thing. I now feel very old but the vest makes my family happy. How many other "older women" are wearing a protective vest?

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Treasmare2 View Post
    I did it and I am feeling a little odd. I bought a protective vest for riding at home. After a recent flip over wreck with the resulting shattered collar bone and severe concussion, followed by a small fall with a compression fracture of L1 and the addition of a new unstarted 3 year old warmblood I have given up and gotten a protective vest. I will use it at home but am not going into the show ring with the thing. I now feel very old but the vest makes my family happy. How many other "older women" are wearing a protective vest?
    No vest; I just farm out the test-pilot work to the Young & Fearless!

3 members found this post helpful.

I am 60 and ride alone a lot on my farm. I wear a protective vest all the time. I actually like wearing it because it tells me when I an not straight!
    Rest in peace Claudius, we will miss you.

I don't but sometimes as I'm riding out the driveway I get this cold feeling that I've forgotten to fasten my seat belt! I have thought about getting a vest.

2 members found this post helpful.

I'm 59 and have been wearing a vest when schooling at home & at shows. I don't wear it when showing. Initially I was mortified. Now I don't notice and don't think about it. My only gripe is that it is hot, and not in the good way.

I will be 60 in just a few days and thought I would rather ride with that "seat belt done up" than have more serious injuries and have my riding life shortened. I also agree with farming out the early rides to someone much younger and am indeed doing that for the new mare in the spring. So glad to hear I won't be the only one riding in a dreaded vest.....its a big step.

I'm 32 and wear my vest for every ride. Most of the riders at my barn wear them, including the BO. It's actually much more comfortable for me because I'm *ahem* overly blessed in the chest department and, along with a great sports bra, it keeps things on lockdown

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

I've been wearing mine every ride, except to show hunters in the ring, for the last 3 years--had a bad wreck as well. I'm 45 now. I realize that the vest won't save me from all injuries I could get from falling, but I know it helped when my horse tripped, nearly went down, and I came off last summer--bruised my bottom, but my previously broken ribs were happily cushioned.

I don't think of this as a sign of aging, but rather as one of increased wisdom.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Do they make one for necks? If I have another crash that could be the end of that. A few days ago my steady guy tripped going down a hill and luckily I hauled him back up instead of going down.

I hate living in this creaky earthsuit sometimes
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

3 members found this post helpful.

My friend and I are both 60, and we each ride 3-4 times a week. She wears a vest and I don't. I prefer to minimize risk in other ways and leave the rest to providence. I just don't like the feeling of restriction and feel that I'm actually more likely to stay on if I have complete freedom of movement. But she feels much safer wearing hers and won't get on without it. To each their own!
    Mon Ogon (Mo) and Those Wer the Days (Derby)

I'm 56 and bought one last year, not because of a fall but because I feel that a future fall is inevitable and that I've been lucky so far. I wear it all the time, for every ride, and contrary to being embarrassed by it, I feel I'm setting a good example.

I wear it in the show ring, too, over fences. (My one concession is that I take it off for flat classes.) I put it on right over my jacket, though I may eventually shop for a new jacket to wear over the vest. I have gotten a few funny looks from competitors that don't know me, but I don't let them bother me. The vest has not affected my placings at all. In fact, I looked up the rule before showing in my vest for the first time, and I found that judges are not allowed to penalize competitors for wearing safety vests.

I wore it to a clinic last month, and the clinician said nothing to me about the vest. Mine is black, and I think it looks fine, very neat and trim. Get one that fits well, and you'll be used to it in no time and will in fact feel odd without it.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

I am not sure how buying a flak jacket is any indicator of aging. I have 3, including a WW EXO (magnesium cage that can withstand a horse landing full weight on you).

I wear mine for breaking babies, heading out on the trails or gallops, or any time I feel there is increased risk.

For you ladies, might I recommend a KanTeq body protector?

http://www.kanteq.com

It is designed by a WOMAN for WOMEM. I have heard nothing but great things from this who use them. They are cool and do not crush your breasts. I only bring this up as I know that many very good vests out there but are designed only for a single body type and as a previous poster noted, "because I'm *ahem* overly blessed in the chest department and, along with a great sports bra, it keeps things on lockdown."

No, I am not a company rep or sales person. I just have done a ton or research on body protectors and I like the construction, materials and design of this one. Personally, I use a Tipperary on a regular basis and the aforementioned EXO for cross country.

Reed

I think maybe having a 3 year old warmblood my be the reason for the vest Mine is 5 & I still get dumped everyone in a while. I'm 52 & havent gotten hurt yet but have thought about a vest.

Like someone else mentioned - I don't think it's a sign of aging but being more increased wisdom. I just had a bad fall 4 months ago that resulted in a fractured pelvis and L3. I can't get back in the saddle yet until April but the thought of purchasing a vest has crossed my mind several times now and I'm 28 .
    Meet me at the Rainbow Bridge Harley
    May 21, 2004 - February 28, 2006

I just did a search of the forum for "body protector" and found this thread. As friends were giving me a ride home from the hospital this morning - 4 broken ribs from a spook-fall - I said to them, "I'm way too old for this shit. I'm shopping for a protective vest today."

I'm in my mid-50's, have been riding since I was 10, and I don't intend to get on again without a protective vest. Not only am I more breakable now than I was 30 years ago, my reflexes are slower and I'm not as strong.

I have a protective vest from when I used to event, and I wore it every time I rode for six months after I had a bad fall. During the summer I stopped because I got too hot since the sweat wouldn't evaporate. Now I wear it anytime I ride a horse that I worry will be a little hot. I'm 31 years old. It isn't a sign of age. It is a sign of experience. Now you know that falling hurts.

I would to find a vest that I don't sit on and is comfortable to ride in when it is hot out.

After a lot of research, I bought a Raceway vest from a tack shop in the UK. They had many more sizes and options available than at Dover. I bought an extra small with a short back, and it is perfect for me.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

I am so glad to see more people are wearing these or considering doing so. It has been very considered much resisted step for me but I think it is a wise decision. My concern is that the one that fit the best and allowed the most movement may be longer than I would like in the back. I am a short one and most things are too long and this can not be tailored. The Kan Teq vest looks wonderful but there usually is great difficultly getting one shipped to Canada but I am thinking they may be sold here at some point. I will be watching for them.

I have an aerowear vest because it is also made for women...it is a bit stiff and is warm but since broken bones <and wisdom that comes with getting older> I ride with a vest. Going to have to check out the one Reed posted....would like to find a place that carries them to see if it's any cooler than mine.
    Hot or not<good in winter, lol> I like to minimize the risk. And my worst fall where I broke bones was not over fences and was a "freak" accident.
    Adriane
    Happily retired but used to be:
    www.ParrotNutz.com