The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Curious- Any of you heard of this?

I've been gradually loosing my hearing over the last few months and I'm not even old enough to lose my hearing! I've gotten down to where I cannot hear anyone if there is any background noise. I literally cannot hear one word. It's like the sound just shuts off! If I am on the phone you would be lucky if I understand anything you say. Most people I deal with on a daily basis hate me for not using a phone to call and only using an email or text. Business wise, I really don't want anyone to know that I am losing my hearing at such a young age, but honestly I feel like I am 90 years old. Makes me laugh thinking of my grandparents saying "what? what did you say?", but honestly that is me now . I always make sure my husband is with me when I do business deals so that when I turn to talk to him about the situation he can translate it for me, so that I can hear it.

If there is no sound or not that much noise, I have loud ringing in my ears, which runs in my family. Everyone in my family can hear pretty well though.

I had a Dr appointment yesterday that got moved to Monday due to the snow. Any idea's what it could be? I am just curious what is causing my hearing to deteriate so rapidly. Have you had this before?

Some people just do lose their hearing early. I have a friend who started losing hers in her early thirties. She started wearing hearing aids and it helped immensely. If you have to, don't feel bad because it isn't that uncommon. And, at least now they have improved them to the point where they are quite discrete.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

ear wax can totally block your hearing if there is enough of it - perhaps you just need to have them flushed?

2 members found this post helpful.

goodpony has gone through something similar that she's mentioned on various threads - perhaps you could send her a PM for some insight?
    My Mustang Adventures - Mac, my mustang | Annwylid D'Lite - my Cob filly

"A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

I'm hoping its just earwax. I would hate to wear hearing aids.

I will have to message good pony. thanks!

stress can also make you lose your hearing. Ask me how I know...

Ear wax can do it, too, though that would be more likely to be one-sided.

Did you get a new cell phone or have you been wearing earphones more frequently?

Stress could be it- I'm going through a custody battle with my ex husband right now... That's another story for a different day. UGH!

I've had my iphone for over a year now. I hardly ever wear headphones. I do however, have worse hearing in my right ear than my left, but I blame that on the bottle rocket exploding on my chest from 2 years ago.

Could be nerve deafness. It often runs in families. My mom has it in her right ear. I have it now in my left (46 y/o).

Alas, no hearing aid will help it.

But you'll need to see a qualified audiologist for full testing to make the determination.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Oh and tinnitus often accompanies it. I have that too.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

A cheap and easy way of flushing your ears if it's too much wax is with hydrogen peroxide. I'd keep the appt. cause you don't want to mess around with that, but if it turns out to just be wax for future reference hydrogen peroxide will flush it out.
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

There are so many things that can cause hearing loss and tinnitus, and sometimes the drs don't even know why! I went through YEARS of dr appts and had every single test they could think of to give me. After a family member was diagnosed with gluten intolerance, I decided to give it a shot, figuring it couldn't hurt. Two weeks after going gluten-free, my tinnitus and vertigo disappeared, and my hearing started coming back. It's nearly normal now...
    RIP Victor... I'll miss you, you big galumph.

My ears were packed with wax. PACKED.

What an ordeal. I damn near fainted from that blasted water pick thing.

Anyway. My doctor did not want me fainting on his floor so sent me home with drops. Two applications of them and flushing myself yielded a ton of wax from my left ear. Those of you who love the gooey-pussy-abcess stories would have loved it.

Upon clearing my left ear I realised I could barely hear out of my right ear. Proceeded to flush that and got a gob the size of a kidney bean out. VOILA'!

Within 5 minutes I also realised I've been talking very loudly. Probably for a long time. My husband was vindicated: "See I knew you weren't listening to me!"

2 members found this post helpful.

EWWWW. Also good, but ewwwww!!

I have hereditary hearing loss, have had it since birth. I wear one hearing aid (even though the loss is in both ears), and it's not bad at all. Been wearing one for 14 years or so now. Thirty plus percent loss in both ears. Background noise really does suck and will erase anything anyone is trying to say to you, but you learn to adapt and live with it.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

I'm not that old either and have had ringing as long as I can remember. As I've gotten older (and I'm not that old!), the ability to filter out background noise has decreased. I tend to avoid places like bars because I am worthless when it comes to conversation. I have seen an audiologist and went through a battery of tests and my "hearing" is fine. My ears work well. What they told me is that the ability to filter out background noise is a brain thing and not an ear thing and some people are just really bad at it and get worse. Because my ears also click when I swallow, the audiologist wanted me to get allergy tested which I declined to do because my insurance wouldn't pay for it. Let us know what your doctor says. I am curious.

1 members found this post helpful.

There are many issues that can cause hearing loss, and I hope it turns out to be ear wax. If not and you need hearing aids (and eventually most of us will I think) they have digital and all kinds of new technology, and it's a matter of adjustments, and learning to hear with them. Hearing aids now are technologically advanced, and nothing like the ones they used to have. And many conditions can be treated these days, and I hope the doctor fixes whatever is wrong.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Ah this thread is making me want to clean out my ears.... gross but great!
    My ears click when I swallow too, skyy... hmm. Didn't realize it was an allergy thing!! (I've been sitting here swallowing repeatedly for a whole minute to hear for the swallowing!
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

One common cause of hearing loss is a hereditary condition called Otosclerosis, where the tiny bones in the ear become fixed and cannot transmit sound. It can occur in one or both ears. There is a surgical fix for it, where they install a tiny platinum 'shock absorber' type prosthesis which transmits the sound waves. I had this surgery and it wasn't a big deal.

Unfortunately, it turned out that I also have something else, Superior Canal Dehiscense. In that condition, the bone is missing between part of the inner ear and the brain cavity, and the sound waves escape up into the skull instead of traveling through the ear. There is a surgical fix for this too, but it's a much bigger deal.

You need to see an audiologist to find out what's going on, since both of the above conditions have the symptoms of hearing loss and tinnitus, as well as other conditions that need to be addressed.

Good luck, and get it checked out soon!

I'm headed to the Audiologist on Monday. Hopefully he has good news!

The dr says I have slight hearing loss in my right ear. Everything else is within normal range. He thinks my problems may be allergies or a reaction to a high sodium diet. (I used to be a very healthy eater, but recently McDonalds is much faster on the go) He wants me to come back if I begin to get dizzyness or if I notice my hearing getting worse. Otherise I am suppose to go back in a year to have my hearing checked again to see if there are any changes. Right now he beleives it is just how my brain processes sounds. I am having trouble processing when there are other noises. He does not recommend me to go to have my brain checked out, as this is a common condition. So we will see what happenes in a year from now.
    Thank you everyone for all of your support!

1 members found this post helpful.

FLorence Henderson (the mom on the Brady Bunch) had a hereditary hearing loss, and her father (if I recall correctly), had it and went entirely deaf. She and one of her children had inherited it, and they had to take mineral supplements (I think Calcium or prenatal vitamins with lots of Calcium) to prevent it happening to them, and I believe it worked. There are lots of conditions that there are treatments for now, when years ago nothing could be done.

Snydere02-that's good news. So from now on protect your hearing, with earplugs at concerts or loud sports events, protective hearing devices during mowing, etc. and hopefully you'll be fine from now on. And if you use ear buds, watch the volume. I think we all take things like hearing for granted, until we have a problem.
    Last edited by JanM; Dec. 31, 2012 at 02:14 PM.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White