The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Yogurt lovers??

I have discovered the BEST, at least for my sweet-loving palate: Astro Original Caramel. almost as good as the lime and lemon ones. It is full fat, and absolutely decadent......and probably only available in Canada.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

I like Chobani greek yogurt. That does it for me though the bitterness kinda gets to me after a bit.
    SPACE FOR RENT

I like the Chobani Greek with peaches. Heck I like anything with peaches. But what I'm really hooked on is the Yoplait Greek peach with Granola. I like just the yogurt plain (not as sour or bitter as other Greek yogurt I've tried) but when I get towards the bottom the peaches with granola added is even better.

I have always enjoyed yogurt, have a few cups a week.

Before I discovered greek yogurt, I usually reached for Trader Joes Organic vanilla (although it is rich). Or some type of fruit on the bottom yogurt.

But now I love love love Fage greek yogurt with HONEY. I am not a big fan of Chobani, and I do not like the fruit etc mixed into the yogurt.

The thing I like most about the Fage is the texture, its THICK, and you are not supposed to stir it. Not sweet like usual US yogurts either, more like sour cream (I use it in place of sour cream for cooking). Almost like eating a custard, and the sour of it matches well with the honey poured on top.

It comes in a 0% which has no fat, but it packed with protein. I enjoy it for breakfast.

The Astro yoghurt is yummy. I used to get the coffee flavour.

Yes, only in Canada.

I eat yogurt every day! My favorite is Chobani vanilla. Not as big a fan of the fruit flavors, but the blood orange is not too sweet and plenty tangy. Don't care for the yoplait greek yogurt, WAY too sweet. I do like the Dannon Key Lime Pie, it isn't fat free though but it is like a dessert.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

I am in love with the Oikos particularly the honey and key lime flavors
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

I LOFFF yogurt : 9
    Greek restaurants in Chgo serve it as dessert drizzled with honey & chopped walnuts.
    Heaven.

You can "Greekify" any plain yogurt by letting it drain overnight through a coffee filter set in a colander. Let it go longer and you get cream cheese!
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Hands down, Chobani. Pineapple, to be specific. The ladies at work and I always eat this at break. SO tasty!
    Friend of bar.ka

Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
    You can "Greekify" any plain yogurt by letting it drain overnight through a coffee filter set in a colander. Let it go longer and you get cream cheese!
    Technically it's not cream cheese, but I agree with you - the "greek" yogurt phenom is just straining the whey out. Nothing new or revolutionary, but does make it really good!

I make my own yogurt and find that the "Tangy" yogurt culture from cheesemaking.com is my favorite - it's actually quite mild in comparision to many store bought yogurts. And very easy to make if you ever want to try...and you can strain it to any texture you like! For store bought yogurts my favorite is (was?) the Stonyfield Farms plain whole-milk (with cream top) brand, but I haven't seen it at my local store in a while. With a drizzle of honey....practically a dessert.

Personally I am sort of grossed out by yogurt + citrus combination. I don't know why but those two things don't seem to go together to me.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetTalk View Post
    Hands down, Chobani. Pineapple, to be specific. The ladies at work and I always eat this at break. SO tasty!
    Their pineapple is my favorite! I also love Fage's blueberry.

What I like about the Greek-type yogurt is that its the closest thing I can find here to the "fromage blanc" that I fell in love with when I spent a semester in France. That's a bit sweeter, but a very similar texture

Quote Originally Posted by Appsolute View Post
    But now I love love love Fage greek yogurt with HONEY. I am not a big fan of Chobani, and I do not like the fruit etc mixed into the yogurt.

The thing I like most about the Fage is the texture, its THICK, and you are not supposed to stir it. Not sweet like usual US yogurts either, more like sour cream (I use it in place of sour cream for cooking). Almost like eating a custard, and the sour of it matches well with the honey poured on top.

It comes in a 0% which has no fat, but it packed with protein. I enjoy it for breakfast.
    I just bought the Fage for the first time and LOVE it. I've always bought Chobani or the store-brand but the Fage was the best I've had. Very thick and tart, and they honey adds just enough sweetness.
    If it were easy, everybody would do it.

Equi-Sport Services

I go through phases of eating Greek yogurt, but the stronger taste means I get tired of it after a few days in a row. Regular plain nonfat yogurt plus granola from the bulk bins at the grocery is a fantastic breakfast for weeks on end!
    Love me a parfait! Yum
    MrB's attempt at talking like a horse person, "We'll be entering in the amateur hunter-gatherer division...."

it is almost impossible to find full fat yogurt around here, but I finally did! I used to buy the cream top varieties! Yum. Now I buy the full fat greek varieties. Yogurt should have fat! And since most companies add in sugar when they take out the fat, I figure it's just as healthy anyway.....
    Turn off the computer and go ride!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JenEM View Post
    What I like about the Greek-type yogurt is that its the closest thing I can find here to the "fromage blanc" ...)
    Whole Foods has fromage blanc/frais!! In with the cheese, not the yogurt, I believe. I think they also have the little glass "pots" of whole milk yogurt (the kind with the little foil on top). Yummy. :-)
    Dannon Activia in Cherry is yummy!!
    And Total Greek Yogurt with the pomegranate/cherry sauce not mixed in, so every bite is swirly and different!!

I much prefer Dannon to Yoplait. Maybe it's less sweet. AND I KNOW Dannon has live, active cultures and rumor has it Yoplait does not. (I haven't verified this.)

Edit: and love full-fat/cream yogurt. Doesn't need all the sugar.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

Smile yogurt lover here...

My favorites are: Dannon coffee, Chobani pineapple, Yoplait custard-style banana, and The Greek Gods honey or honey/strawberry.

All but the Chobani pineapple are hard for me to find on a consistent basis. That is probably the reason why I have so many favorite brands and favorite flavors since I never know what I will find on any given day. Or...maybe it is because neither my husband or daughter particuarly care for those flavors and thus will rarely eat "my" yogurts.

I have discovered the best frozen yogurt ever. It is HealthyChoice Greek frozen yogurt. They come in 3 separate little cups in each box. Sooooooo delicious. And only 100 calories per cup.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding

I make my own from 2% milk and use Stonyfield Farm's plain yogurt as a starter. (I buy a tub of it and freeze it in 4 oz blocks, each of which will make 2 quarts of yogurt.)

I generally just eat it plain with granola (also homemade!), but DH likes to mix in peach or blueberry preserves.

It's really easy to make and so much cheaper! PM me or start a new thread if you need instructions, but you can probably find it online.
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

Oikos key lime and Liberte Coconut and Vanilla flavors. Yummmm
    Only dead fish go with the flow.

http://tommybluefoot.blogspot.com/

Plain, unsweetened, yoghurt for me.
    Full fat Greek yoghurt or failing that, Astro Balkan or Meditaneree.

Mixed with granola and fruit or porridge and fruit - Breakfast of Champions!
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!