The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Had to post- Our new weanling. **Pictures**

I am super excited, for christmas my husband and I purchased a thoroughbred weanling. She was born February 29.
    She was awesome in the trailer on our 2 hour drive home and she has been awesome at home. We are working on getting her to lead correctly and pick up her feet, but we have high hopes for her.

http://www.pedigreequery.com/dauntless+diva

Diva

Diva2

Diva3

2 members found this post helpful.

She looks very stunted to me for her age. Hopefully she will come around with your TLC. Best of luck with her.

We are just tall people, makes her look short. She's about 14.2 right now. I haven't gotten a stick on her, but I would not guess anything under that.

1 members found this post helpful.

Ok. If you say so. I still say she needs a lot of TLC in the form of nutrition to catch up with her peers.

Thank you for the advise. I got to meet her Dam and Sire while we were on the farm and both parents were under 16hh. We have her on an excellant nutrition program (recommended by the vet) and the vet is scheduled to come out for a check up soon. We will be sure to monitor her growth. I know you have tons of experiance with thoroughbred's, but what would you say is normal for a 10 month old? I've only raised Quarters and Paints, my husband has only raised arabians. The thoroughbred experience is very new to us.

She looks closer to five or six months then ten months. I would start with a fecal and a good ration balancer and probably a month of rejevenaide. Deworm her a double dose every month.

The breeder informed me that she was wormed 2 weeks ago and was on a deworming program. What would you say is a normal size for 10 month old? How many hands tall?

I don't think it is just her height but her overall look seems immature. Was she stabled or turnout out 24/7? I'd ask what their worming protocol is and what product?

I recently adopted two weanling Welsh ponies who were living out 24/7. They were born in April but their body structure is muscled more and have decent conformation. When I look at them I can imagine them mature based on their body type and just fill out more. One should be top of the line large and the more refined should be a top of the line medium or borderline large.

I haven't had foals in a long time. How often do you worm? Mine are coming 9 months. Thanks for any info.

She was in a box stall that was about 20 x 20 with daily turn out for a couple hours with another older mare. She was wormed on a monthly basis along with her other horses.
    I worm on a monthly schedule and changing the type of wormer to go along with the pests of that season.
    She was not worked with much, due to the amount of horses in the facility and lack of time. She is now on a 24/7 turnout with a 6 year old mare.
    I believe that after a few months of turn out, she should muscle up more. I just take terriable pictures, and they do not do her justice at all!

She's 10 months? I had to go back and make sure I read that right because she really does look very immature for that age. Small isn't what caught my eye, it's that JUST weaned at around 5-months old and kind of rangy, pot-bellied looking.

Dont get me wrong, she's cute! She just doesn't look like a 10-month old foal. I'd definitely get a good worming program started, and the good nutrition on board (which you already say you have...good!!).

Keep us posted on how she grows up, please. I think we'd all love to "watch." It's always fun to see a baby mature into a lovely adult!
    Last edited by Kenike; Dec. 27, 2012 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Autocorrect typo
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

It sounds like she is better off with you, then where she was I can't imagine only turning a baby out a couple hours a day! 24/7 is best, and you are on top of that. Based on that alone (the fact her turnout has been basically non-existent until now), I'd second laurierace regarding the rejuvenaid. A fecal is never a bad idea with any new horse, IMHO. I'd also be quite tempted to give her something to help the joints that have been essentially lax for the last 10 months in a small enclosure. I really like CortaFlx Solution, along with a ration balancer to make sure her bones get the nutrients to go along with her new found freedom!

I'll bet she fills out fast with all the turnout and your care. She has a nice overall look and conformation. Hope you will post more pictures in a month.

Thank you guys! I will be sure to post more pictures as she grows. We are super excited to watch her mature into a lovely lady. I'm going to wait to add anything more to her feeding schedule until the vet looks over her. Our vet has her on the recomended diet from what she has seen and heard. My husband is in love with her. He usually has low interest in the horses, but he acutally left the middle of the football game to go out and brush her! She's additcting!

She looks sweet! FWIW - "vet" doesn't necessarily = "nutritionist"
    Every feed I've seen has a stamp that some vet recommended it Feeding young horses is an art. I would hope your vet is recommending good quality grass hay/forage 24/7, along with a ration balancer to give adequate protein, vitamins, and minerals. There are also very nice quality fortified feeds, and feeds labeled for "young horses" that I wouldn't touch with a 10000 foot pole.

I've used this vet for over 15 years. Love her to death, if she's not sure, she will recommend someone else for the job. I realize that she is not a nutritionist, but she sure knows more than I do about proper diets. I would trust any horse in her hands. Right now she has her on 24/7 high quality grass hay with 2 flakes of alfalfa per day. (She is being slowly intorduced to alfalfa since she has not had it before) She also gets 10lbs of Triple Crown Growth a day. She has free choice to a mineral block and due to the winter she has heated water.

Quote Originally Posted by snydere02 View Post
    \My husband is in love with her. He usually has low interest in the horses, but he acutally left the middle of the football game to go out and brush her! She's additcting!
    My husband really likes our 7 month old weanling too . It's fun to have him excited about a horse.

I agree with others, she looks very immature.

For comparison, this is my Appy x TB at 11 /2 months (I have 10 month photos – but webshots shut down, grr!)

She is a little over 15 hands here (and matured to 16.2+)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...6&l=a162017883

She came to me ribby and scrawny (but TALL) they do catch up with proper nutrition (I fed alfalfa, ration balancer - and pasture)

I love it! I just have to convince him to go riding with me and I will be in paradise!

I think she's just a little under muscled due to the lack of exercise. I just don't help her out in my terriable photograph ability. I will definatly post pictures of her in a month to show you our progress.

Appsolute- Your filly is beatutiful!

She is cute ! Best wishes in her transition - Diva is perfect name for the girl who is stealing the show at your farm. Yes, picture updates are required. I bet she blossoms under all the care and attention.