The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Default Spinoff--Paint Pads versus roller for interior

I've always had a ton of trouble getting rollered paint to a smooth finish. Are the paint pads better at that? I only ask because the trim pads do such a good job.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

Use Purdy rollers. After loading roller, put paint on the wall, not overlapping the first pass. Once the majority of the paint is off the roller and on the wall, including ridges from extra on the edges of the roller, use the roller to spread it all out thin and smooth. The most important part is the spreading it out without trying to use a loaded roller. It only takes a thin coat to cover.

Quality rollers do a better job, but the knap (is that the right word) matters too depending on the texture of your walls.

The quality of paint is also important. You wouldn't think there would be such a marked difference, but there is.

With the pads, I think you'd find you'll have tracking marks. Especially if you're painting with a lighter color over darker.

I like putting a good primer on. You can tint the primer based on the final color you're going for and that helps too.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Paint brush, quality, with real bristles, every time.

You'll use less paint, clean-up is easier, and it's often quicker, as you don't need to tape everything beforehand....and get it stuck under your finger-nails trying to remove it afterwards.

Plus, the finish is nicer!

Just make sure you have adequate ventilation and humidity - if the room is too dry, the paint will dry too fast and you're liable to get streaks....this applies to paint applied by brush and roller both.

Use the correct nap for the texture of the walls.

What nap do you use for plaster walls in an old house? I tried a roller once and practically went crazy trying to get all of the nooks and crannies filled in. After that, it was back to the brush for me.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

I use the paint pads and the thin rollers. If I have a large open area to paint the thin paint rollers work well. In smaller areas the paint pads work better, particularly near the ceiling, around windows. I have more control with them.