The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

It sure looks amazing. Can not wait to see it all done.

DH and I met with the cabinet maker today and ordered the pine cabinet. We opted for adjustable rather than fixed shelves, four shelves instead of three, and three door hinges instead of two. The cabinet should be ready to pick up in a couple of weeks. This cabinet maker is the same fellow who made our King's Ransom farm sign, a very nice older gentleman (yes, even older than us!). He was so sorry to learn that we lost King, but excited about building this cabinet for the tack room.

We are also having him make us a barn sign that reads, "No Horses 4 Sale Here."

PS -- the skylight leaks!

Default Tack Room Cabinet Ready!

We picked up the custom cabinet for the tack room yesterday! It's still sitting in our garage, until we can get in and paint the tack room.

I thought it turned out beautifully!

exterior shot: https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...16848340_n.jpg

interior shot: https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...04148662_n.jpg

The contractor who built the tack room came back Friday to re-seal the skylight. Apparently, they only sealed the corners before? Don't ask me why. However, if it leaks again, I will get him back here again!

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by King's Ransom View Post
    We picked up the custom cabinet for the tack room yesterday! It's still sitting in our garage, until we can get in and paint the tack room.

I thought it turned out beautifully!

exterior shot: https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...16848340_n.jpg

interior shot: https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...04148662_n.jpg

The contractor who built the tack room came back Friday to re-seal the skylight. Apparently, they only sealed the corners before? Don't ask me why. However, if it leaks again, I will get him back here again!
    BEAUTIFUL!!! I hope the leak is fixed!
    http://www.leakycreek.com/
    http://leakycreek.wordpress.com/ Rainbows & Mourning Doves Blog
    John P. Smith II 1973-2009 Love Always
    Father, Husband, Friend, Firefighter- Cancer Sucks- Cure Melanoma

Very nice addition to any tack room.

Will be interesting to see the final pictures.

love it. can't wait to see it all put together ! (oh...also: interested in seeing the closure hardware on the door close up.....wonder if I can find that in brass?)
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett

Very nice! You are certainly going to enjoy that room

I just finished the tack room in my new barn too. I installed the same saddle racks from Schneider's as you have, and so far so good. I would recommend screwing them into the studs though, so they can hold the weight best. We did our tack room in tongue and groove pine, which we finished with a water-based clear varnish for protection. I wonder if you could use the same type of product on your cabinet? It certainly makes cleaning up much easier than washing raw wood, and it's really easy to apply. I used the same thing on the wood in my stall fronts and partitions.

I was wondering about your electric set-up though. I see switches on the wall but no wires so I assume they are in the walls? We were told that all wiring had to be run on the wall exterior, in conduit, so that's what we have. It's not as pretty to have all that conduit running around, but that was how it had to be done. It might be worth checking about before you paint.

UPDATE: They finally fixed the skylight. Rained buckets last night and no leaks!

We scored stall mats for the entire barn yesterday, including the tack room and the aisle at a huge discount, about 25 percent! We have only picked up about half of them, as we only have a small pickup, but the farm store is holding the rest. They are nice quality mats, too. I'm stoked!

We have the saddle and bridle racks, custom cabinet, and the artwork for the door window, but have been waiting to do any painting for 1.) warmer weather and 2.) getting that skylight sealed. Now that it's fixed (and I seem mostly recovered from the seemingly-endless flu), we are about ready to tackle the painting.

Spooks -- the electric is up to code for our location, per the licensed electrician who installed it. Never hurts to check, though!

Also, the cabinet maker put a clear seal on the pine cabinet exterior. It's my plan to use a polyurethane varnish on the interior shelves -- though it is also my plan to keep liquids OUT of this cabinet.

Code here is in barns, all wires have to be in conduit.
    In the walls is ok, as long as it is in conduit.
    We have conduit going to the sheds attached to the barns also.
    Mice, birds and insects can cause shorts in exposed wires.

Default PHTOSO: A REAL Tack Room!

Worked all day today, and finally got the cabinet moved into the tack room and six saddle racks installed. Still need to get the bridle racks and other accessories in, but it's looking like a real tack room. Just in time for the new pony!

Here is the cabinet, open, and some of the saddles. Inside the cabinet, you can see Lexi's grooming kit! The bright light is coming from the skylight: https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.n...75376549_o.jpg

Okay, here is the view when you first walk in. Tack is in desperate need of cleaning! https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...56340607_o.jpg

Here you can see the skylight (just a bit): https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.n...49825037_n.jpg

Still up: clean the tack and move it in, bridle racks, photos, paint the OUTSIDE, and the King's Ransom sign for the door. Will I really ever finish this project?

2 members found this post helpful.

Love it!! So nice and bright!!!!

1 members found this post helpful.

Looking good!! Everything is really starting to come together now. It's the final pieces that will really make you proud of all your hard work

Looking great!

P.

Love seeing this! So fun to 'travel' each step addition with you. Betcha find yourself just sitting in there every so often....
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Great job!

I really like what you've done, and will now go out to my barn and weep softly as I look at my unsheltered tack, gathering dust & bird poop.

Seriously, you have at least inspired me to do something - not as extensive as your setup - to rehab my tack area
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Looks great!
    Neat as a pin.