The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Spacytracy, thanks! Those are the exact ones I've been considering! (The hard mounted ones)

OK...so my tack room is 15' X 30' heated and insulated....if I get some of those racks that Bluey suggested by saddle collection could blossom from 11 saddles to probably 30! Thanks Bluey!

KR, we spent today putting up 9 saddle racks from Schneider's in our tack room. I am thrilled with the look, the sturdiness, and the super price. (Seriously, $20/per, free shipping over $100 too). They were my Xmas present - I picked them out and ordered them, and congratulated my family on the great gifts they'd just gotten me.

We are moving into the 12x12 space that was the barn ofc/apt but isn't used for that purpose anymore. Like you, I feel like a kid in a candy store when I look at the beautiful new room!

The link is http://www.sstack.com/stable_racksor...ack-07470%20a/

Maybe they'd work for you?

Congrats on your awesome space.
    "And now," cried Max, "let the wild rumpus start!"

Beautiful tribute to your beloved King, I especially love the skylight.

Quote Originally Posted by spacytracy View Post
    I wish I had hard-mounted ones like these
    http://www.sstack.com/stable_racksor...ack-07470%20a/
    I have these and I love them. Sturdy enough for western saddles (if you have any) and I love the barn for saddle pads.

I ordered nine of the saddle and pad racks from Schneider's yesterday! When the temps warm up, we will start painting. The window decal should be here by Thursday, but we can't install that until it warms up a bit, too. I think the room is getting smaller every day! But, this just means we must be organized!

So exciting! What color will you be painting it?

Outside, we are going with a hunter green and white trim. Inside, a pale yellow with white trim, to keep it light.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

KR - it is Gee-Ore-Juss!!!!!
    That door is heartstoppingly perfect.

I am jealous (a little) and encouraged to redo my own 12X12 tack/feed area.
    I would LOFF to have it roofed to prevent at least some of the inevitable dust/bird poop, etc any open space in a barn seems to gather.

Do post pics of the completed installation so I can drool a bit more and kick my own be-hind into action.
    My own Equine Royalty - Sam had a half-brother at WEG - certainly deserves more than my present make-do
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

1 members found this post helpful.

Since teaching King's Kid about proper tack care is one of your goals, maybe look into getting a freestanding saddle stand? Way way back, the farm/school where I was taught alot of the basics had a truly wonderful BIG cleaning stand and it did make it easier for us little guys to clean tack well. (Sadly that barn was torn down years ago -I wish I'd had a chance to get in there and salvage that beast - it was huge (at least as I remember it) but so useful and so full of memories!)

Dover makes a smaller version: http://www.doversaddlery.com/dover%3...and/p/X1-2732/
    and so does Georgetown Stable Outfitters (this one is really lovely): http://www.stableoutfitters.com/prod_stand.php
    Both allow you to rest the saddle upside down (which is what makes them "cleaning stands"), so you can get to the underside of the saddle, and they let you store your cleaning supplies inside, which is nice, too.

Shipping probably isn't cheap, but if you know somebody who's a decent carpenter, I don't think they'd be too difficult to make.

My barn had the free-standing wood rack from Dover. It's pretty expensive, and not particularly durable. I think a handyman could make one just as nice and probably sturdier and probably less expensive, too.
    In order to think outside the box, one must first know what is in the box.

2Dogs, thanks! The weather forecast is calling for temps next week in the low 50s. I am going to be sure I have all of the paint and supplies I need purchased and on-hand so we can get out there and paint as soon as we have that opportunity. Once everything is painted, we can get going on hanging up the saddle and bridle racks, etc.

I am looking for a cabinet, and am torn about putting an ugly (though functional) metal cabinet in there, like this one: http://www.lowes.com/pd_292907-46-GA...net&facetInfo=

Or having something built more in-keeping with the barn style, like this one: http://www.amishcountryproductsandmo...th_Shelves.JPG

They are about the same in price, so it's really a matter of preference. Any thoughts from anyone?

bdj and Kadenz -- those are a GREAT idea! Yes, I will look into having one built locally. I have never seen those, but they suit my goal of teaching The Granddaughter perfectly! And, she will actually LOVE doing this. (She "braided" Rocky's mane over the weekend and they were both in horsey-heaven!)

If they cost the same, I'd go with the wood cabinet over the metal - my BO had metal and they were functional, but noisy... Metal is going to be more rodent-proof, though...
    An option that I'd considered after seeing it work nicely in a friend's barn is to check out your local big box building supply store or Habitat for Humanity ReStore and see what they have in their crash and dent/sale area for kitchen cabinetry - you might find some cabinets that will fit your space. My friend has a countertop that spans one whole wall of her tackroom with shelves above and below (and where there weren't enough shelves, she tacked up some curtains).
    Personally, I like open shelving better than closed cabinets, but that's just my personal preference.

By the way, (as I forgot to mention in my earlier post) the space looks great! I can't wait to see it once the window decal is installed and the painting gets done!

Oh, and you can't tell us about the braiding session and not give us pictures! (you did get pictures, didn't you?)

In Europe, our saddle cleaning stands had an upright on one end with hooks to hang a bridle and other tack when you were cleaning.

If you have one made, you could add that handy feature to it.

Ours were the length of two saddles, half a V, half the opposite.
    You would set the saddles in the upside down V part and clean them, then on the V part, upside down and clean underneath.
    That was strictly for English saddles, of course.

bdj -- I did not get any photos, sadly. Typically, DH and I have our hands full with The Granddaughter and Rocky together. She stood up on the 3-step mounting block, combed his (unruly, raggedy) mane, and then we put in "braids" (and I use the term loosely!) and rubber bands. For his part, Rocky loffed it. For her part, The Granddaughter says (fiercely loyal, God love her), "Rocky, you are my new best friend after King."

Bluey -- any chance you could find a photo of something like your European stand?

This one is different, but interesting:

http://capallmaraceaird.com/saddle-s...eaning-stands/

The top opens to leave a V to put the saddle there upside down.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Get the wood one if the price is the same! For saddle stands, one of those metal ones from any saddle shop for around $20 would do perfectly, they are easy to store and fold away when you don't need them which is another advantage. Set up a bridle cleaning station too. One of those twizzly metal bridle stands which hangs from the ceiling with some leather soap would be perfect to ensure kiddos always clean their bridles after a ride. A small bucket for bits is also a good idea!

I love the door - what a beautiful way to commemorate King, I'm sure he would approve (especially if you had a place for treat storage...). Be sure to post pics once you've painted :-D.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Yeah I definitely vote for the hard mounted single racks also, glad you went that route. The moveable ones tend to tip if you aren't careful.

I like saddles on one wall, bridles on another. Reason being, is I've been in tack rooms where the saddle racks had bridle hooks between them (if that makes sense? a column of saddles, column of bridles, column of saddles, etc), and if an errant rein hooked on a stirrup iron, when you pull the saddle off, the bridle falls to the floor. Argh.

And of course, have more than you think you need .
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Your new barn feature looks really nice.

Quote Originally Posted by King's Ransom View Post
    Here is the skylight that I had not expected, but just love. I think this is how King is going to always be looking in on us, keeping an eye on everything. It positively FILLS the room with light, and that just makes me almost cry (okay, so there's no "almost" about that): https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...78426028_n.jpg
    A word to the wise about skylights. They tend to start leaking after hail storms, so keep an eye on them when we get hit again (I live just outside the KC area) and be prepared to cover up saddles, etc. until you can stop the leaks.

After having our barn skylights repaired twice, we had them covered over when we had the roof replaced. The extra light was wonderful. The extra water, not so much.