The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default UPDATE Post #70 PHOTOS! It's a REAL Tack Room!

I got a nice little end-of-year bonus at work, and decided to spend part of it on having that new tack room built in the barn. Some of you may recall that King's empty stall was haunting us all, so we decided to convert it into a tack room.

Well, we thought this would be a DIY project, but we are not very handy and I feared it would either never get done, or never get done right. So, I had a contractor over last week to take a look and I told him I wanted it done up really nice, because that is what King would expect from me.

So -- they are here NOW, working away. I am so excited about finally having a real tack room, and also about doing something really nice in King's memory.

Dang, now I'm crying. Darn horse, he always did push me to do better than I thought I could!

Photos to follow.
    Last edited by King's Ransom; May. 11, 2013 at 07:41 PM.

8 members found this post helpful.

what a nice tribute to King - Can't wait to see pics

Can't wait to see full before & after pics. You're gonna loff it!
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Insulate it heavily, easier to keep the room cool or warm, which is better for your tack. We could heat ours with a light bulb left on (incandescent!) it is so well insulated. Makes it nice to work out there in winter, cleaning or sorting things. I have WAY too much horse stuff, so there is ALWAYS need for organizing. Also nice if I need a warmish place for keeping an outside animal contained, sick barn cat, SURPRISE litter of kittens from a dropped off house cat in winter.

You will REALLY ENJOY having a nice tack room and being able to use the space again because it LOOKS different now. I filled my old mare's stall this winter with hay and wheelbarrows, to make it look different without her inside the space. Lots easier to use the stall daily in feeding, get my mind reset that she is not inside anymore. Sure do miss her face each day. Doing this repurposing of her stall, your King's stall, is mentally helpful in moving on in a healthy way.

Oh Goody! Can't wait to see pictures.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

KR;
    Did you not hear an Ethereal Equine Sigh of Relief when you made the decision to have a pro do the job?
    I'm sure King had to stop grazing on the greenestofallgrass to take care of that little detail.

I'm certain some decisions I make with my new horses are being overseen and approved by my lost ones: Vern & Cash.
    Buddy - aka Steppin; Out - was more laissez-faire. As long as dinner was on time we could do as we pleased with the surroundings.

Pics!
    Yes, pics for me & the rest of the tackroom-impaired COTHers to drool over
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks 2Dogs, you made me laugh. Yes, I'm sure King had to pause to ensure we did this properly! I think often of you and Vern & Cash.

So glad to read that King still has his way with you!! Then he will ask you why you did not give him such a beautiful.... stall?
    Good on you KR and Mr. KR...

I just went out and was going to take some photos, but the guys were working and I did not want to get in their way. We had a slight mis-communication on exactly what I wanted, and what they have given me is way way nicer than I had expected!

(Of course it is! Kinda like the first time King took me over a fence, way more fun than I had ever imagined!)

When I saw what they had done, I just started crying. And yeah, those guys are pretty happy about that!

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by King's Ransom View Post
    I just went out and was going to take some photos, but the guys were working and I did not want to get in their way. We had a slight mis-communication on exactly what I wanted, and what they have given me is way way nicer than I had expected!

(Of course it is! Kinda like the first time King took me over a fence, way more fun than I had ever imagined!)

When I saw what they had done, I just started crying. And yeah, those guys are pretty happy about that!
    Wow, how about that.

So nice that the miscommunication is working so well.

2 members found this post helpful.

Progress continues and the heavy-lifting for the tack room is almost done. Contractors should finish up today -- leaving us with the happy job of painting, installing saddle and bridle racks, etc. I don't have actual photos yet, as those guys are a couple of whirlwinds and I don't want to get in their way.

The tack room door is custom-built, and it look very much like the photo my graphic designer put together here: https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...37694683_n.jpg

She is having a vinyl decal made that will look like etched glass, using the King's Ransom logo. I'm really excited about it!

When the contractors leave, I'll take some photos.

What a great idea!

Okay, the guys just left. Of course, we still have to paint, put mats on the floor, and install all of the saddle and bridle racks, etc., but you can see the rough-in from these photos:

From the outside, here is the door (the decal with the farm logo will on the clear plexiglass panel): https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...64621438_n.jpg

Here is the skylight that I had not expected, but just love. I think this is how King is going to always be looking in on us, keeping an eye on everything. It positively FILLS the room with light, and that just makes me almost cry (okay, so there's no "almost" about that): https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...78426028_n.jpg

Here is an interior shot of the work bench and ceiling fan. You cannot see them, but there also are two recessed lights in the ceiling for extra work light: https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...80393444_o.jpg

And here is the panel we put into the north door. It's not pretty, but it is functional and lets in lots of light. Plus I can now see if someone is driving in the driveway. They are going to come back and trim it out on the outside so it will be prettier, but right now it works great: https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...94342602_o.jpg

I am really really happy with this, and anxious to get to work painting and putting up the racks, etc. We will have to wait for a warm-up in the weather, though, before we can start painting.

2 members found this post helpful.

Perfect blank slate! They did good.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

1 members found this post helpful.

Very nice.

Any suggestions for favorite saddle, bridle and blanket racks? I am not looking for the $2200+ saddle racks, nor the $12 ones. I want to put in stuff that is functional and looks nice. We have five saddles, three that we use regularly -- english, western and aussie. A variety of pads, too. Plus bridles and bits, crop and lunge whip, halters, lead ropes and lunge lines. I have a separate feed room and keep tools in the "shop" area of the barn -- so this is purely for tack and riding accessories. I am not sure about bringing grooming supplies in, either. They can get pretty messy, and right now are neatly organized in the feed room.

Thoughts?

Also, part of my reason for doing this is to start teaching the granddaughter how to do things properly in a barn / stable, to properly care for horses and tack. She is 5 now, so any ideas about how to incorporate those goals, too, are most welcome. As you can see, we now have the elusive "blank slate."

How lovely. What a great space and I am sure King approves.

Wonderful tack room.
    You will be so proud to be working out of it from now on.

You can hang saddle racks or you can get those that are self standing, so you can move them around.
    The ones we have are four saddle ones, you could put two in there and use the extra room for blankets or saddle pads.

We use the one way down this list for English and western saddles, called Stackable western saddle rack by Apple Picker.:

http://www.valleyvet.com/catalog_pro...ack_racks.html

We have the four arm ones:

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.h...ae5&ccd=iop001

Here is a new model I am not familiar with, but looks interesting:

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.h...99a&ccd=iop001

Doesn't use any more room than those hanging on walls and you can move them from place to place when you need to remodel or clean around them.

Looking for stuff for your tack room will be so much fun for you.

I'm not a fan of the free standing swinging 3 tier racks, to be honest. I have one. The problem is that if you swing both in one direction, it throws it off balance. And I only have English saddles.
    I have this one
    http://www.sstack.com/stable_racksor...le-rack-black/

I wish I had hard-mounted ones like these
    http://www.sstack.com/stable_racksor...ack-07470%20a/

The ones I have don't swing, they are stationary, the posts are square tubing, not round.

Have not had any problem with any moving around when taking saddles out of them or putting them back there.

It is good to know that the swinging ones are not that stable.