The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What is expected in appearance at Sinead Halpin clinic?

This will be my first clinic with a big name rider and I was wondering what is expected to be worn at the clinic. I will have my boots and tack clean and I am planning to wear a polo with a sweater if it is cold, and a tight fitting jacket if it is that cold. The clinic is in Mobile, Al so it is not nearly as cold as many of you are used to, but colder than what I am used to. I was just wondering what is expected in appearance, I don't want to not look nice. Thanks!

I haven't ridden with her specifically, but I think if you are neat, clean and not wearing anything too bulky (so that she can see your position) you will be fine. When it's cold out I usually stick to a long underwear top or turtleneck under a fitted sweater or fitted vest and a polar fleece pullover. I like stuff with full zippers so I can add or take off when mounted as needed.

I did a Doug Payne clinic last year when we had our one real cold snap (it was low teens the second morning), I ended up wearing my poofy winter jacket and heavier gloves. He didn't comment on my attire except when he saw my gloves were leopard print on Day 2!

Sweater or tucked in long sleeved shirt, belt, light colored breeches - as you noted, neat/clean/tidy. What you've got sounds fine. She's great - you'll have a blast.

I heard Sinead comment on this once in a blog entry or an interview. As long as you are on time, you/horse/tack/clothes are clean and neat in appearance she's pretty laid back. Think schooling show without the show coat, polo shirt/breeches/half chaps or boots and you'll be fine.
    "But I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep." Robert Frost

Eventing at Midnight Blog
    http://eventingmidnight.blogspot.com/

It's probably my hunter roots, but in a clinic it's "show" attire from the waist down. Horse in a shaped fleece pad, tack spit shined, bit clean and shiny, HIS boots clean (I actually use Armor All to clean my horse's boots!) Horse clean and bathed, tail brushed, whiskers clipped, mane pulled.

For the rider, weather appropriate snug fitting top, hair contained under a helmet that I would wear in my dressage test, beige breeches, belt, polished boots and spurs. Black or other dark colored gloves.

1 members found this post helpful.

Conservative tack & clothing, properly fitted. Well groomed horse. No flopping items.

If you're riding outside in the elements I like a sweater & vest. I need to keep my feet warm so I'd probably wear half-chaps & warm socks ( I do this while winter clinicing, even indoors, numb toes are an issue).

oh so jealous, Sinead is such a fun person, and I am sure you will learn a lot, have fun!

Clean and spiffy horse and rider will always make a nice impression! Do make sure your clothing is fitted so Sinead can see and comment on any position issues (i.e. if you're in a poofy jacket it will be hard for her to see if you're rounding shoulders etc).

That being said - HAVE FUN!! She is a fabulous person and on my list of 'must ride with' clinicians... please have a helper take video and report back to us so we can see what you guys were doing.

I am so excited and can't wait. It is the first weekend of jan, so just one week away. I hope I can get some video, I know I will of a few other groups that others from my barn are riding in. And then I will try to report back