The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ready for the storm? Snow's here, to put it mildly!! Keep OT Day?

As just posted on FB,

"Ok, wood piled up (in case of power failure), deck and driveway cleared, path to remaining woodpile created, driveway markers in, bird feeders full, and ice cream and wine in the fridge. Ready!"

We're expecting 6-12" tonight/tomorrow. Haven't had much snow in winter in a couple of years, except for late storms in March. Which is very unusual for us. We could even get up to 20" in one fell swoop. Normally have 80-120" yearly.

Also went to the barn to work the horse, as I'm not sure I'll see him for a few days! And have videos on hand if satellite goes down.

Who else is all set?
    Last edited by CVPeg; Dec. 27, 2012 at 09:29 AM.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

I am on the other side of the border. My 8 horses are all tucked in side and two new Christmas pony weanling in their outdoor shelter. The wind is whirling around with blowing snow. We haven't had a big snowfall sinc 2011. I think we are due. They are calling for 15-20 cm now they are saying 25 cm. The models must be changing and they can't say for sure how much we will get.

Loads of awesome leftovers and some great movies to watch.

Yup, I doubled down on feeding the birds all day today, so they had nice full bellies for the coming storm. The feeders are full and I hope that they can get to them until I can get out to shovel. Took the drive down to the barn today instead of tomorrow as I had planned. Lexy is in excellent hands so I don't have to worry about her. In fact I'm kind of happy it's finally getting cold and snowy. Maybe I won't have a mud-caked(clay at that) pony for a while.

Oh, I have to charge my phone, just in case, but I have plenty of food laid in. I'll take my shower this evening instead of my usual morning shower so I'm clean and I'm just finishing up the wash so that I'm set in clean clothes for a while. I have plenty of books on hand, and my Coleman lantern has new batteries this winter. My arctic weight sleeping bag is clean and ready to go. I expect that at least one of the cats will want to share it with me so I should be plenty toasty. Let the blizzard begin! I love it!

The other good thing is that all this prep insures that we won't lose power at all and everything will be just fine.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

2 members found this post helpful.

I spent the afternoon nailing a double layer of tarps to our flat, rubberized roof of the TV room. I just happened to look up at the ceiling yesterday and saw all sorts of lovely water stains. Grrrrrrr.

Edit: We are getting torrential downpours, not snow. Triple-GRRRRRRRRRRRR.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Oh noes!
    I'm tuckered out from Sandy.
    We still dont have our phones back at work and I am in the financial district of NYC (read: big deal not to have phones).
    Guess I have to look at those *generators* again. I looked at the whole house, automated one, but havent priced it. Too scared I'll faint.

1 members found this post helpful.

No. I hate the winter (silly where I live, I know - but my Husband brought me here...). Will commiserate with the horses in a while when I feed them a warm mash, then feign interest tomorrow morning as the family all gear up to go skiing. I didn't grow up with snow, and have little use for it. I have been stopped on the slopes by the ski patrol as a danger to other skiers, and have decided to give up trying (Yay!). But I'll make sure my caballos have enough hay, water, shelter and skritches.

Oh - forgot to add that I have a coup cupboard (hangover from living in a volatile 3rd world country), so I have enough food on hand for - I don't know - a month? So in that sense we're all covered.

Hayed early, and in the windbreaks; Rambos ON, water tubs topped, generator has a full tank of gas, heat turned up a tad before The Inevitable strikes again.

At least this time it's snow . . . let 'er rip!

All ready here. I went out to see the boys this morning just after it started snowing at 11:30. I have great BOs, so I know the horses are in good hands. My son shoveled around 2:00, and I shoveled again around 5:00. At that time, we already had 6" on the ground. DD got home at 6:00 (early), and I'm relieved. It's still snowing hard, but we're warm inside. Have plenty of food and a bottle of wine!

I know the snow doesn't care, but I hate it so much. Not at all ready for it emotionally! I swear one of these days I'm going to be brave enough to relocate, and my #1 criteria of a new place is NO SNOW! I am a total warm weather girl.

Stay safe, everyone!
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

Bring it on! I love snow. 6 to 10 inches forecast here. Hopefully it will not mix with rain!
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Default storm

Well, I went out to pick stalls, top water buckets, give more hay and carrots and there was about 8" already on my driveway and this was about 7:30PM. Snow started here somewhere between 4 and 5 PM and has been coming down steadily.

I just can't wait to see what it's like going out at 10 PM for the final check.

So far, the winds aren't too bad but they are supposed to get pretty nasty by midnight. Besides, any NE storm is always a PITA. To top it off, my lovely tractor with enclosed cab and snow blower is out of commission. Not a problem for the regular driveway etc as I have a plow guy I use on an erratic basis. I talked to him this AM when I knew my little snowblower wasn't going to be working and suggested he plan to come this evening and a couple of times tomorrow. There seems to be a sheer pin behind the empeller(sp?) by the chain that's behind the snowblower scoop and that pin must have broken when I used it for snow removal just before Christmas. The Massey Ferguson dealer came right out and found the problem but the mechanic isn't in until tomorrow. My guess is they will pick up the tractor tomorrow and get it back to me by Friday or even late Thursday.

Unfortunately, being a NE storm, it blows snow right up to the dutch doors to the paddock (stalls open to the east), which means there will probably be 6' or even more snow blown up to the stall doors and probably about 15-20' out. That is why I have said tractor with snowblower so I don't have to shovel the doors out. Been there, done that! The horses will just have to live with being turned out in the indoor for tomorrow and until the tractor is back.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

CVPeg is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

Not a car on the road. When opening the door at 7:30, found a good foot had fallen overnight. 2 hours later, a lot more added. No curling up and relaxing - need to get outside to shovel the back stoop and front deck. Front door won't open.

Plus get out my handy/dandy telescoping broom to wipe off the satellite dishes. Amazed I'm still getting reception. Wonder how it is at the barn...
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

oh man all we have here is torrential RAIN.
    All that rain is going to freeze and the ring / footing in the paddocks will be hard as cement.
    GAH!
    I am SO disappointed. Where's WINTER?
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

We've got about a foot on the ground here. Our poor little JRT is having a hard time, as her potty path keeps getting filled in with the blowing around snow.

DH is nuts, and decided to venture into town for a hair cut and some dog food and says that it's getting worse. I'll be happy when he's home and we can all hunker down on the couch and enjoy the excuse to do nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

We got just a few inches of snow and now it's turned to rain. It's gross out there, all slushy and mucky. I sure hope it doesn't freeze tonight or we'll have an intractable mess. There must have been high winds last night, that I slept through, because there are some big branches down in the yard, fortunately, they didn't hit anything.

My boss just called and told me not to come in! Now I'm just waiting for the DH to plow out the driveway. The horses are out (they have a run-in & round bale) but I'm pretty sure they want to get into a nice comfy stall. Tapping foot waiting for snow to be removed from in front of barn door!

Western NY/Southern Tier and we only got about 8"... which was sort of disappointing since last evening my Boss said "if we get another foot of snow, just stay home" and he NEVER says that.

We got about a foot here. I've been out shoveling and it wasn't too bad, packed but not iron tight. The plow guy has come so I can get out if I need to. I have most of the paths done, but I pooped out before I got to the mailbox. So, I'll have to go out again later and do that and a path to the remaining bird feeder. Whatever possessed me to put birdfeeders in three different parts of the yard? And, each one attracts a different kind of bird, so I can't just let one go. The one left is the one the turkeys frequent. I saw them in the woods when I was shoveling, but they went away before I got a patch of bare ground shoveled for their cracked corn and sunnies.

Oh, and Mod 1 said in her Christmas post that Off Topic would probably be open until after the New Year, unless we get rowdy.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

I'm moving house this weekend. I can bring boxes over today and tomorrow, but the furniture really does have to be done on the weekend.

Let's just say we're moving the bar cart in first.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

bolton,vermont here--we've got maybe nine inches and it's coming down fine and slow at the moment. i expect another foot by tomorrow anyway. meanwhile the dish is still working, yay! and we have laid in plenty of food and fuel. the generator is run from the tractor and is still brand new and ready to go.
    dh is not inclined to plow until it's all said and done, so it's a tv and library book day for us. probably a long hot bath too.