The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default When horses DONT like the horse treats offered

Our big draft-y X boys LOVELOVELOVE candy canes and peppermint of all kinds
    so we collect leftover xmas candy - free is good!

offered it to the boys and they nearly did hoofsprings
    but their pasturemate - a 2 1/2 yo rescue mixed breed -
    apparantly does not dig peppermint
    he takes it into his mouth - rolls it around and spits it out

we had a horse who did not like sugar cubes
    would take them in and suck salive through them and spit them out in your hand - all slobbery and disintegrating

and bananas - we were told to try banana smushed around the bit to got the horse used to it - bad move for him - he didnt like bananas!!!
    you had to take the bit out and wash it off and give him other treats before he would try taking the bit again

My friend's gelding is quite picky about treats. He pretty much only likes apple flavored horse treats. He won't eat peppermint anything. He doesn't like butterscotch, lemon, mint, carrots, he'll eat *some* apples.

When my mare was having loading problems, I thought I'd use peppermints as a reward. I didn't think to check if she liked them first, though. But she stepped on the trailer and I gave her a mint. She took one bite, spit it out, gave me a horrified look, and backed off the trailer, now known in her mind as The Box of Doom and Source of Poisoned Food.

Yeah, that went well. It's been over two years, and that one mint still haunts the trailer; she acts like every treat I try to hand her when she's on there may be poison.

10 members found this post helpful.

When I first bought my TB gelding, I dot think he'd had a treat in his life, as he didn't even know what to do with a carrot. But I had a pony who would eat everything! And since my TB was possessive over his regular food he soon learned that whatever i was giving the pony, he just absolutely had to have.

He then started loving all treats, like peppermints, crusts of bread and his all time fav black liquorice.

Sometimes you just have to give them time to get used to things. Usually they do that by watching other horses eat them. My old gelding wouldn't eat apples or carrots at one point. Living with my pony and old mare at home got him over that quicker than anything else. He watched them eat things and decided they couldn't be all that bad.
    ~~Some days are a total waste of makeup.~~

My gelding will woof down most treats. He doesn't like bananas, but he will eat banana-flavored Rounders from Blue Seal. Go figure. One of his all-time favorites is Luck & Love Pineapple, which are sort of like fruit roll-ups for horses. They actually are quite tasty.

My horse loves peppermints, apples, and every commercial treat I've ever given him. The only thing he has rejected is real carrots from the garden with the green tops still on. At first he would take the whole carrot into his mouth, then after he tasted the greens, he learned to back the carrot out of his mouth to the joint between carrot and green. When he got to that point, he'd nip off the green part and eat the carrot part. Last summer he wouldn't eat real carrots at all - even though they were organic and came from an excellent truck farm (LOL!). Baby carrots from the grocery are super, just not the real earth ones!

He also will not eat any treat from my hand if I feed him after I've given the barn cats their cheap canned cat food treat. I agree with him there - the stuff does stink!

The first time I heard about my horse to be, my trainer was telling a story of how she would add cut up carrots to the feed. At first my horse refused to eat them, but then they started disappearing so she thought he liked them now. Until later she found a small pile of them buried in the corner of his stall, farthest from the feed tub. He was picking them out of his feed and hiding them lol.

Took me almost a year to get him to eat any treats but he enjoyed the grain like ones. Then one day, he actually TRIED a piece of carrot-and discovered he LOVED it! I had to call my trainer and tell her, she refused to believe it. After that he became more adventurous and would try ANYTHING. Didn't mean he'd like it though. He spits back peppermints and he hates hates hates apples. His absolute favorite is cool ranch Doritos. He even likes BBQ potato chips lol. But he's still picky about what he eats.

When I got another horse, he didn't eat treats either, until he saw my horse eating the carrots. He would take them reluctantly-swirl them around in his mouth for awhile, slowly eat them, like he wasn't really thrilled but he didn't want to be left out
    OTTB CONNECT
    FB group for all things related to non racing Thoroughbreds.. Click here to join ~~~> OTTB CONNECT

1 members found this post helpful.

My horse just has to hear the crinkle of the mint wrapper !!

3 members found this post helpful.

Horses don't need treats. I have a mare and she is not interested. I have others that like treats. Horses are their own individual personalities.
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

Quote Originally Posted by Pennywell Bay View Post
    Horses don't need treats. I have a mare and she is not interested. I have others that like treats. Horses are their own individual personalities.
    I dont need chocolate either, but...................

8 members found this post helpful.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

My previous horses were mostly treathounds, anything & everything was NomNomNom - including once a BBQ pork chop (DH's TWH)
    Current horses are huge fans of Dumor cookies - oatmeal raisin or molasses - and love peppermint in any form. Apples, carrots and sweet potatoes are also accepted. A weird treat is plain dried pasta - shape does not matter.

I tried a banana and pony did the Ptooey! spitout, but WB loved it an begged for more.

ETA: when I got Cash his former owner gave me a half full jar of his "favorite treats"
    As soon as I unloaded him and got him settled in his stall, I offered one.
    NTYVM, and he never would eat them.
    Vern, OTOH, was glad to make All Gone.

They are odd and opinionated critters, aren't they?
    Last edited by 2DogsFarm; Dec. 27, 2012 at 05:00 PM.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

My horse refuses anything licorice. I don't blame her, I hate it myself!

Offerings of anything peppermint, however, are met with much joy and excitement.
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

When I got my current horse, he had NO interest in treats of any kind. It didn't matter what I offered him, he did not want it. I think in time, as he became more acquainted with me, he decided to expand his horizons and try whatever was offered. He does have his preferences such as no "soft" treat shall be consumed- ever. He likes his treats hard and crunchy! I still cannot get him to eat anything peppermint, despite the fact that a former connection of his told me that he loves peppermints and that her little boy would take him peppermints every night.

My previous horse was terrified of apples when I first got him. By terrified, I mean he would cower in the corner of his stall if someone approached him with any shape of apple. He did eventually get over it and came to enjoy them.

Several years ago, I was peeling and eating a Navel orange at the barn. The horse getting groomed in the cross ties gave me "that" look. So, I offered him a wedge. He thought it was manna from heaven! So, I tried with the rest of the barn - hard to feed orange wedge to horse who first spits it back at you while you are laughing, but when you bite one in half so they actually taste it - the whole expression changes and it's gimme, gimme, gimme.

One year, I destroyed my kitchen making horse treats from scratch - nothing simple here, carrots, apples, peppermints, molasses, a little flour and some water and then baked in balls. Take em to the barn and we ponder who is to be the first victim. We decided on the pickiest mare in the barn. If she liked em, they would be a hit. Well she loved them! Trying to get up enough nerve to make them again.......
    And nothing bad happened!

Got 15 horses here, and I save everything that goes stale (nachos, potato chips, pretzels, cookies, popcorn etc) and buy about every horse treat out there plus apples, carrots and pears and the odd things like butter mints, butterscotch, peppermints and peeps.

It's amazing who likes what and who turns their noses up. Their personalities are so different as are their tastes!
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

After six years of giving away the candy canes to the other horses in the barn, my mare decided this year that she finally actually does like peppermint. They can change their minds just like people... after a while.

'plash

My mare will only eat treats if she knows she's not supposed to have them. I've tried feeding her all different kinds of treats to no avail. I tell my coworker that she its not to feed my horse treats, coworker's dog spills some treats and my horse turns in to a super sonic treat vacuum. I just shake my head and don't ask.

My momImean SANTA gave me peppermint Peeps in my stocking. I ate one, and it was tasty, but I'm plump and my horse could be plumper, so I took the remaining 2 to the barn. The first one she naively hoovered up, and seemed to enjoy, though I think it did stick to her teeth because she kept nomming at odd intervals. I could NOT convince her to take the last one.

Eating an anise cookie, however, is apparently like eating angels. Delicious!!

Quote Originally Posted by shiningwizard255 View Post
    My horse refuses anything licorice. I don't blame her, I hate it myself!

Offerings of anything peppermint, however, are met with much joy and excitement.
    What?? I think I have your horse's evil, inverse twin. Here she is eating an anise meringue: http://www.facebook.com/v/715774869611
    Last edited by BravAddict; Dec. 29, 2012 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Combining my two posts
    Disclaimer: My mom told me that people might look at my name and think I had an addiction other than horses. I don't; his name was Bravado.

My horse is a treat hound and will eat anything. But when I was in Zurich with my husband, we had some extra time and was wandering around a mall when out of the corner of my eye I saw a fiberglass horse with a blanket on. It turned out there was a pet store in the mall with a whole section for horses.

I bought a bag of treats for my horse. They were natural but nothing overly special - the label was in German, so I'm not sure exactly what they were. Well, he loved them more than other treats. The next time my husband had to go to Zurich for business I asked him to stop by the same store and pick me up some more. He came home with 3 bags (complaining they weighed a lot and took up a lot of space in his luggage).

I'm now out and DH has no plans on going back to Zurich for a while. Pony will just have to deal with American treats for a while.