The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Business decision

I am concerned about the employees under my hire. They are paid extremely well and enjoy better benefits than I. Normally they work perhaps three days a week and tell me they are working from home the other days, all while spending my money on foolish and senseless things.
    Recently, they have done nothing but bicker among themselves and when they argue, they leave work. They blame each other for basically bankrupting my business while doing absolutely nothing to correct problems.

Any suggestions what I should do with these employees?

Fire them.
    Everyone is running from something. Especially this person I'm chasing.

9 members found this post helpful.

Is this tongue and cheek or for real?

6 members found this post helpful.

Have to say I agree w/ this. I'm an employee of a small law firm in an at-will state, and if any employee were causing *that* much grief, they'd be on their way out de do' in less than a NY minute. There are WAY too many qualified individuals around right now to put up with very much.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Show them the door.

1 members found this post helpful.

Well I think a couple things should happen. First off, why do you say they get better benefits than you? You are the boss, no? Why doesn't your benefits package offer the same options to everyone? This is very odd to me.

Secondly, you ARE the boss, right? Well act like one. Put your foot down. No more working from home. If you walk out of the office, you walk out of the job and you are fired. No bickering. If people don't like it they can go find employment elsewhere. Set rules and start writing people up for infractions. If the quality of their work is good and you don't want to let them go, then do YOUR job and be the boss. If they would be easy to replace and you want to get rid of the lot then fire them. You are the one who should be correcting the problems, not them. Barring outside factors (the economy, big box store coming in and stealing your business), your business will succeed or fail depending on how you control it, and if you can't control your employees, then of course things aren't going to go well for you.
    My Mustang Adventures - my blog!
    Yoga for Equestrians
    "A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

6 members found this post helpful.

Wow, really? Fire them!
    Every day I wish I could fire a couple of my clerks, but I'm in government and they're public servants and it's nearly impossible to do so unless they, idk, stab me or something (honestly, I gave one critical feedback on a really bad piece of work that according to their level they should've been able to do no problem, and they were on the phone crying to their union in 5 min. Crying! It remains on their record because it was all completely factual so I was on solid ground but FFS). Being sour, unfriendly and full of bad attitude doesn't cut it. If I could fire them I'd throw a freaking party to celebrate.

Do they have job descriptions? Do they set yearly objectives for themselves based on your objectives for the business? Do they have at yearly performance reviews? Does the business have a mission statement, and are budgets and actual vs. budgeted results communicated to the employees?

If the employees have clear expectations, and are not meeting them, replace them with more suitable employees. In my experience, employees are glad to trade good job performance for paycheck and benefits.

If you have good business skills, but are not a good people manager, perhaps it's time to hire an office manager/HR person. A lot of times businesses are reluctant to add staff, but most times a good hire will pay for him or herself with improved productivity and less hassle.

Good luck sorting things out.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

Quote Originally Posted by ybiaw View Post
    Fire them.
    A perfect two word answer.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

2 members found this post helpful.

pony4me
    Do they have job descriptions?
    Yes:

Responsibilities and duties
    The U.S. Constitution clearly enumerates the responsibilities of Congress. They include regulating domestic and international trade, declaring war and maintaining and supporting the military.

Congressmen's duties vary according to their stature and party affiliation. Both of the two major political parties have a leader in each House (called either the majority leader or the minority leader, depending on which party has more members in the House). Party leaders are responsible for maintaining diplomatic relations with one another and with other branches of the government.

Each house also has many committees that focus on a particular responsibility. Some examples include energy, veterans' affairs, housing and foreign relations. Some committees have broad responsibilities, such as the Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation.

One of the most common duties of a congressman is act as a conduit between the federal government and the local authorities and residents of the areas they represent. A local police force, for example, might ask a congressman for help receiving money or other services from the Department of Justice. A local unit of a veterans' organization, such as the American Legion, might likewise ask a congressman for support in obtaining something from the Veterans Administration.

But they seem to pay more attention to others than to me....

7 members found this post helpful.

I pegged it, tongue and cheek.

4 members found this post helpful.

Baha, excellent.
    To be loved by a horse should fill us with awe, for we hath not deserved it.

Love it - well done!
    My Mustang Adventures - my blog!
    Yoga for Equestrians
    "A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

Quote Originally Posted by happymom View Post
    But they seem to pay more attention to others than to me....
    Then fire yourself, too.

BRILLIANT!
    Maria Hayes-Frosty Oak Stables
    Home to All Eyez On Me, 1998 16.2 Cleveland Bay Sporthorse Stallion
    & FrostyOak Hampton 2008 Pure Cleveland Bay Colt
    www.frostyoaks.com

I was trying to figure out if it was gov't related or kids... guess my first instinct was right!

It's pretty alarming isn't it? No matter which side of the aisle you sit on, it's hard to feel good about what is being done...or more specifically, not done.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

2 members found this post helpful.