The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Spartanburg/Greenville SC area - lessons and boarding information needed!

I recently accepted a job that will take me to Spartanburg, SC in May/June 2013. Very happy to know I have employment after graduation

Is anyone on COTH in this area? I have no friends/family in SC so knowing someone on the board would probably be a good start!

I have done some preliminary research and know there are very nice HJ facilities in Greer, Greenville, Landrum, etc but always like to get some real opinions/perspectives. After getting settled I'd probably like to start 1x week lessons in the fall; experienced HJ rider, was jumping 3' regularly in lessons a while back.

Additionally, there's a good chance that my 19yo TB mare is going to have to retire to a pasture puff if her lameness issues don't get resolved. What is boarding like in the area? She's always been on stall board with ample turnout, but with the more mild weather in SC, I would like to give 24/7 pasture board heavy thought as I think she'd adjust to it without too much issue.

Thanks for any help!
    Last edited by Schune; Dec. 28, 2012 at 09:47 AM.
    Lucy (Precious Star) - 1994 TB mare; happily reunited with her colt Touch the Stars

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

For your situation I would recommend Top Call Farm in Travelers Rest. I know the two trainers there and they fit the bill for you.
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mroades View Post
    For your situation I would recommend Top Call Farm in Travelers Rest. I know the two trainers there and they fit the bill for you.
    Travelers Rest may be a bit of a drive; at this point I am not sure where I will be living specifically - I could be in Spartanburg to be close to the medical center (where my job is), or I have been looking at Greer, Duncan, Lyman, Boiling Springs, etc.

Do you have any insight on Indigo Road Farm in Greer?

Thanks!
    Lucy (Precious Star) - 1994 TB mare; happily reunited with her colt Touch the Stars

You will also be very close to Landrum/Tryon area. Lots of choices. If you look up Congaree Show Stables' Facebook page and message the two trainers there - they were at Clemson and can give you great recommendations about all the options. Good luck in your search...you've got options which is something a lot of folks don't have when the job moves them.

TONS of boarding/training options in Landrum/Tryon, great show facilities and trail systems. Right up I-26 from Spartanburg. You might want to look at actually living in the Landrum/Tryon area and commuting to Spburg if your work is closer to Spburg than to Gville.
    You should sign up for the weekly e-newsletter "This Week in Tryon Horse Country," published by Libbie Johnson, the Economic Development Director for Polk County (Tryon). And contact Libbie directly; she can give you lots of information and contacts depending on your specific interests. I'm not in the H/J world myself so wouldn't be the best to help you with that.

Only thing about 24/7 pasture boarding is concern about laminitis at certain times of year; we have Fescue in this region so you have to watch it in the Spring and some other times.

Meanwhile, good luck with everything - I think you'll love the area; we do! It is absolutely lousy with horse stuff - (I mean that in a good way). And you can wear your riding clothes everywhere, I'm not kidding.
    It's just grass and water till it hits the ground.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

If you are going to end up in Landrum you will have so many options it will be hard to choose! Can you get down there for a weekend and look around? Look on the BRHJA website for horse show dates, and maybe you could go on a show weekend and see all of the trainers at work!
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Quote Originally Posted by GotMyPony View Post
    TONS of boarding/training options in Landrum/Tryon, great show facilities and trail systems. Right up I-26 from Spartanburg. You might want to look at actually living in the Landrum/Tryon area and commuting to Spburg if your work is closer to Spburg than to Gville.

Only thing about 24/7 pasture boarding is concern about laminitis at certain times of year; we have Fescue in this region so you have to watch it in the Spring and some other times.
    I'll be working for Spartanburg Regional Health, and my main office will be at the medical center. I'll be heading down to look at places with my parents but right now I'm trying to decide if I want to live in Spartanburg or commute. From people that I've talked to in SRHS apparently a lot of people commute in because while Spartanburg is cute, it's definitely a small city.

That's good to know about the laminitis risk, TB mare is an easy keeper and in the past has gotten fat by breathing.

Thanks all and mroades!

Schune - I'm PMing you.
    It's just grass and water till it hits the ground.