The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Foundation

Any recommendations for a drug store brand of foundation, something to even out skin tone...and one that looks natural? I currently have Estee Lauder brand and am not happy with it. And would like to spend under $20.00 as opposed to almost 40.00.

Thanks!

Heather

I've been using Mabelline Dream Matte Mousse foundation. It's okay. I'd recommend it to anyone in a pinch.

But if you can find someone that sells Mary Kay, their foundation is great! That's the one I'd say go for. It's around $15 a tube. I use the medium coverage and it feels nice on my skin and is pretty long-lasting.
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

I use Pur, (its $20.00 a pop) but if you want a less expensive brand I would try Almay or Neutrogena.

It's not a drugstore brand, but I do think Christian Dior is AMAZING. Not too thick and very natural-looking, but the coverage and "evening out" qualities are incredible. I don't splurge on any other type of makeup, but on foundation, I do, because it really is the base for your whole look.
    "However complicated and remarkable the rest of his life was going to be, it was here now, come to claim him."- JoAnn Mapson

I don't like typical "foundation." Usually too heavy, etc. regardless of what the label says. Found Physician's Formula Organic Tinted Moisturizer at Ride-Aid to be the ticket. Blends well, covers & evens out the skin tone without gooping you up.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

I love my Almay.

I use Almay. The twirly kind with the built-in primer.

Its nice enough stuff. Works for my everyday use.
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

I like Aveeno's tinted moisturizer. I use the, ummmm, well, I'll have to go look

*runs off*

OK, it's the Positively Radiant line. They have a couple others, Timeless or Ageless or something, but I like this. Excellent coverage for a moisturizer, in fact some days I mix a little of the non-tinted moisturizer to it if my skin feels extra dry, because more of the tinted stuff is more coverage than I want at work. It also has SPF of 30. It evens out my skin tone, I really like it, and it lasts an entire 12 hour shift.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

If you just want a little coverage or a touch-up here and there, I love Cover Girl Clean for Sensitive Skin. So light and not greasy at all. (And incredibly cheap!)

1 members found this post helpful.

Rimmel 24 hr was rated very well among drugstore brands. I like it a lot, the best I've used from a drugstore.

May I suggest a green stick for really red areas? Apply that first and put the foundation over it.

I always buy my makeup at CVS. Beauty guarantee, so if it's not right, return it.

I like the Cover Girl Clean, as well.

I have recently discovered L'Oreal Youth Code BB Cream. Moisturizer, Sunscreen, and tint all in one. It evens out my skin nicely. I hate how blotchy my skin is sometimes, but I equally detest the idea of putting on makeup just to go to the barn or run up the street to the dinky grocery store. This covers all bases. It does require reapplication (like all sunscreen) but it's easy. I think I paid $14 for the tube.
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry and has widely been considered as a bad move." -Douglas Adams

1 members found this post helpful.

Olay has a tinted moisturizer/sunscreen that I really like. Cant remember the name right now, but it feels very natural, coverage is very light. Just bought Ulta fabulous face cream foundation (its in a powder type case but is a cream to powder finish). That covers really well and looks natural (ish) on me. So far I really like it.

I use Revlon PhotoReady mousse. I have gotten great compliments on how my makeup always blends, looks natural, and stays put! I use Shell in the winter and Nude in the summer. LOVE it!
    TIMBERRIDGE SPORTHORSES:
    www.timberridgesporthorses.com
    --> Just Press Start // '99 Oldenburg
    --> Always The Optimist (reg. Simply Stylin) // '02 Thoroughbred

I have a horrible time with any kind of liquid foundation (makes my face peel and flake and be tight, and the foundation pools and streaks and settles in my pores, yuck!) so I use mineral powder stuff, but I really love the Rimmel Clean Finish foundation. It evens out my skin tone which is not easy, and doesn't make my face freak out and look fake like every other brand I've tried, it's very natural and feels good. I've gotten lots of compliments on my skin whenever I'm wearing it. Plus it's super cheap!
    OTTB CONNECT
    FB group for all things related to non racing Thoroughbreds.. Click here to join ~~~> OTTB CONNECT

I use Cover Girl Simply Ageless. It covers really well. You can apply it as lightly or heavily as you want. Costs about $13. I didn't think I would like the sponge applicator, but it really gives a nice finish.

I don't use liquid..but I absolutely LOVE Physicians Formula Mineral Wear Powder. Best Powder I have ever used.

My skin breaks out (even worse than normal) with most foundations, so I have tried most of the drugstore brands looking for one that doesn't make my skin doesn't freak out/, and there are a lot of crappy ones and a few really good ones.
    Hands down the best is revlon colorstay. It is full coverage without caking or looking fake, it lasts ALL day, and doesn't get shiny. It looks very natural. There's a wide range of shade options, which is nice. The only down side is I get major breakouts after a few hours of wearing it If you don't have sensitive skin, it's wonderful.

Maybelline superstay is great too. It's a bit of a pain to work with, as it's very thick. But once you blend it in, it looks great, is full coverage without looking heavy, and stays on all day. Also has a decent color range.

I, unfortunately, use neutrogena skinclearing foundation. It's hard to get blended, only has medium coverage, and makes my face look like a disco ball without a really good setting powder, BUT it's the first semi-decent foundation that doesn't cause me to get awful breakouts.
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

My skin breaks out (even worse than normal) with most foundations, so I have tried most of the drugstore brands looking for one that doesn't make my skin doesn't freak out/, and there are a lot of crappy ones and a few really good ones.
    Hands down the best is revlon colorstay. It is full coverage without caking or looking fake, it lasts ALL day, and doesn't get shiny. It looks very natural. There's a wide range of shade options, which is nice. The only down side is I get major breakouts after a few hours of wearing it If you don't have sensitive skin, it's wonderful.

Maybelline superstay is great too. It's a bit of a pain to work with, as it's very thick. But once you blend it in, it looks great, is full coverage without looking heavy, and stays on all day. Also has a decent color range.

I, unfortunately, use neutrogena skinclearing foundation. It's hard to get blended, only has medium coverage, and makes my face look like a disco ball without a really good setting powder, BUT it's the first semi-decent foundation that doesn't cause me to get awful breakouts.
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

I have very pale, acne prone skin, I'm 19.

I have been using Everyday Minerals matte powder for a few weeks and am very happy with the results. It looks natural on your skin, is light-feeling, and doesn't break me out. It is also very forgiving color wise, I have VERY PALE skin and ordered their samples kit with several light shades; so far they have all looked good on my skin. I've found that using a good brush also helps with it feeling "natural" and not looking cakey. I've used the Real Techniques Core Collection brushes and think they are great! FWIW I used Physicians Formula Talc Free Mineral Foundation before and HATED it. Unnatural, cakey, orange, made me breakout (I didn't even realize this was what was doing it), and made my skin so greasy I was embarrassed to go out. Everyday Minerals only has a few ingredients, and I read somewhere that it doesn't include some ingredient (sorry can't remember what it is) that can make you break out.

When I'm just going to be at the barn/outside I use a BB Cream by Skin 79, this one. I got it from amazon but am pretty sure I paid less than the listed price. It has sunscreen and it a light/med coverage. Doesn't cover my acne spots all that well but evens things out nicely. Now, I doubt an Asian BB cream will work for most because this one is very light and has almost a grayish tint to it, but for my ultra super duper (no really) pale skin it works well, it does a great job of covering up redness. It does definitely give you a "dewy" complexion, not exactly shiny/greasy looking, but definitely not matte. I apply it with a foundation brush and get a "medium" coverage.

I use CoverGirl Advanced Radiance Age-Defying Liquid Foundation. I originally used the CoverGirl TruBlend Foundation, but switched to the Advanced Radiance when it came out and haven't ever looked back. I am not one to use really expensive make-up, so I might not really be an expert, but I love the way this stuff feels on my skin. Luckily, I am young (24) and have pale/clear skin for the most part, so I don't think I have to be too picky in the grand scheme of things. Since I am so pale and take a very light shade of foundation (ivory in the winter, classic ivory in the summer ), I do use a dash of mineral bronzer with a big brush on the highlight areas of my face as a finisher. Couldn't even tell you what brand I use for that though - the container of it has lasted 2-3 years and all the writing is rubbed off.

As an aside... has anyone ever used/heard of Jerome Alexander mineral make-up? I have an old compact of it that my grandma gave me years ago. I remember really liking it, but I've never been able to find it again. I even looked on ebay, and while I can find the brand... I can't find anything that looks like the compact I have.
    I have Higher Standards... do you?

"For the love of my horse, I know who I am."