The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Rescue kitty with explosive...well, you know.

DH and I rescued a life for Christmas. A beautiful orange long haired cat showed up at our barn. He was quite clearly a drop off. Beautifully groomed and ridiculously friendly. He didn't seem to be tolerating the cold very well so we scooped him up and took him in. He's living in my office right now until he can go to the vet next week so he doesn't have contact with my other cat and dogs. He uses a litter box but mother of god.....his poop is a water like frothy substance unlike any I've ever seen.

I dewormed him yesterday but I don't think it has anything to do with that as he has this diarrhea going on the yesterday morning before I dewormed him.

So what could it be? Just a change of food? He's on a grain free diet right now. My animals eat all raw but I didn't want to change too many things at once since he's probably just been eating cheap kibble.

I had a dog that could not tolerate the grain free kibble and was having the same problem as your kitty. The grain free kibble can be too rich for some animals. You may want to consider picking up some basic cat chow/meow mix and transitioning him to the grain free.
    If he has worms that can cause diarrhea, although I have never seen it bad enough to be liquid, just really pudding like.

Glad you helped out kitty. Now where are the pictures.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

1 members found this post helpful.

When you take him to the vet take a fecal sample along with you. It sounds like it should be fairly easy to get one. In the meantime, I have had good luck mixing pumpkin into the wet food. Cats like it, which is a plus. I use the canned plain pumpkin. Good on you for taking him in.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

Could be any number of things with a rescue kitty. He may not be used to the food (especially is he was starved), it could be worms, or it could be bacterial. Definitely get a fecal in to the vet ASAP and watch him for signs of dehydration. You can also add Fortiflora or some other form of probiotics (I like Fortiflora because it can be mixed in with food and cats like the taste).

If the diarrhea stays as bad as you describe, try to get into the vet as quickly as possible. It may require some meds.

Bless you for saving the little guy. Orange boys are the best!

And, when you do get him to the vet's, make sure his teeth are checked. He may need to have them cleaned. I had a cat I got from a local humane society that had diarrhea for about a year. We tried everything and could find nothing that worked, prescription or otherwise. Then, it came teeth cleaning time. A day or so after her teeth were cleaned, the diarrhea stopped and has never come back. The vet figured she had some kind of low grade infection around her teeth that didn't show up on the tests.

Thank you for rescuing this guy. Love the orange guys, too. They really do have a personality all of their own.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Awww he's adorable! All advice I'd give has already been covered, but I second (or third) getting a fecal to the vet ASAP. He looks JUST like my kitty - big, fluffy, orange boy.

Keep in mind this may be why he was dropped off.

He needs that fecal done ASAP, and I'd make sure all his food was soupy so he stays hydrated.

Wash your hands and don't tread your kitty shoes around the house if you have other kitties. He could be highly contagious and better safe than sorry.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Giardia? Does the poop smell like vomit (my description). Giardia causes explosive, incredibly liquid (looks like an egg -solids collect in the middle and there's a corona of liquid), and the poop has a telltale something's-really-wrong puke smell.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

frothy/foamy poop suggests an infection, vs. a more benign explanation like a food change. So wash everything that comes in contact with kitty until you get the fecal done, especially your hands.