The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

4 members found this post helpful.

Love, love, love my husband in a kilt! He's a director for a large annual Highland Games so at least one weekend a year he is kilted. I try to invent other opportunities as often as possible.
    If you believe everything you read, better not read. -- Japanese Proverb

1 members found this post helpful.

Oh, yes! I think my favorite photo is of my husband in a kilt and jacket standing in front of horse and I just before the tartan day parade stepped off in NYC a few years back. Definately love a man in a kilt

My SO family does the highland games, with his aunt winning second in the worlds for female!

I love the look and the history behind it! Great pics and thanks for sharing

At one time I did a lot of business travel to Scotland that was, of course, extremely enjoyable in many ways. One of the events that still makes my heart go pitter patter is a rugby club dinner held in the hotel where I often stayed. All that maleness, kitted up for a formal occasion, all those kilts. Wheeeeeee! A feast for the eyes!!! Swooooon!

And I will say the accents and the sense of humor commonly found in the male Scotsman only add to the charm...!!!!!!!!

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Okay--men in kilts beat men in uniform. Not to put down our men (and women) in the military...but even the UPS man wears a uni, but only real men can wear a kilt. Yummy!!!
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Every man is handsome in a kilt! Almost as good as a tux.

Well you certainly have a nice looking bunch of guys to wear kilts! A handsome bunch, one and all.

I hear kilt wearers are tougher, having to stop all the trash-talker's comments about "skirts". This from another Scotsman, my husband. He does know a lot of jokes about kilted Scotsmen!

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie View Post
    Love, love, love my husband in a kilt! He's a director for a large annual Highland Games so at least one weekend a year he is kilted. I try to invent other opportunities as often as possible.
    I just ask DH to wear his when I want to see him in it. This year we went to the Highland Games, he wore it, then I asked him to wear to my work Christmas party. Some time I ask him to just put it on if we are going out to dinner.
    Are you going to cowboy up or lie there and BLEED?

I'm glad to see that you husband is going full steam ahead with all the extras like the dirk, etc.

Here in Western Washington it's not that unusual to see guys in non-tartan kilts for everyday wear in the slightly warmer months. Like these: http://www.utilikilts.com/ And not just Scotsmen wear them.

Yeah, a friend of mine working in retail was angry that women employees could wear skirts in uber hot weather, but men had to wear long pants (Policy: NO SHORTS!) So they banded together and all the men wore regular skirts in summer. Funny if they wore the fluffy tutus that are popular now.

Quote Originally Posted by oldernewbie View Post
    At one time I did a lot of business travel to Scotland that was, of course, extremely enjoyable in many ways. One of the events that still makes my heart go pitter patter is a rugby club dinner held in the hotel where I often stayed. All that maleness, kitted up for a formal occasion, all those kilts. Wheeeeeee! A feast for the eyes!!! Swooooon!

And I will say the accents and the sense of humor commonly found in the male Scotsman only add to the charm...!!!!!!!!
    I used to work in television and one of my coworkers was a funny smart Scottish guy.
    Whenever he ran out of clean laundry he would wear his kilt to work, and that always added to the fun.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

XH often wears a kilt... and wears it VERY well. 6'6" of dutch handsome in a kilt? *swoon* I think the only time he's regretted his kilt-wearing was the night we had a party and decided it would be best if the cow was in the barn... so we had to "convince" said cow he should go in the barn... which entailed XH running through the pasture trying to outmaneuver said cow... in thigh high pasture... that included thistles.
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

Quote Originally Posted by tle View Post
    ...that included thistles.
    OUCH! I was in a Revolutionary War reenactment group of Frasier's Highlanders in Southeastern North Carolina. One thing we learned during our mock battles: always check the ground for sandspurs before you "die"!

FWIW, sandspurs are something that have to be experienced first hand to be truly appreciated.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

I agree that men in kilts beat men in uniform for getting me to behave in loose and immoral ways. I was at a ren-fest like thing once and there was a blacksmith....in a kilt. I mean COME ON; a big man, long hair, bending iron, in a kilt! Can you blame me for my whorish ways? I was all, "How you doin' ?" How was I to know his wife was in the tent?

Sigh. I reeled it back in and bought a iron hook.

BTW I think the Utilikilts website is more for women -to ogle and to buy kilts and make their men wear them. http://www.utilikilts.com/

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    Here in Western Washington it's not that unusual to see guys in non-tartan kilts for everyday wear in the slightly warmer months. Like these: http://www.utilikilts.com/ And not just Scotsmen wear them.
    I haven't seen anybody wearing those kilts here, might be a bit too much for the cowboys. The small town I live in has caledonian games every year. Both the men and women in the parade playing the bagpipes look and sound great. And the dancing is so cool.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Well, I've had two middle school boys in the last 20 years wear their kilts at school. Now, ladies and gentlemen, that takes a REAL man-in-the-making to pull off. Michael wore his Watson plaid kilt once a week, and Jacob wore his Utilikilt about twice a month in the winter, but pretty much 2-3 times a week in the warmer months. They were adorable. I can imagine both now, as grown men--making their lady friends swoon!

All right, those whose husbands are regular kilt wearers: what do they wear under their kilts?
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

As mentioned XH wears his frequently (though mostly during warmer weather). It's a black utilikilt and he looks fantastic in it. Even wore it for our wedding. And yes, he goes regimental.
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

I do love a man in a kilt (who's entitled by blood and/or British military affiliation to wear one if it's in a tartan. Utilikilts, on the other hand, are for EVERYONE.)

Now, for the best of both worlds: men from British military regiments where the kilt IS their uniform.