The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What kind of doctor do I need to see for this?

For the past two months, I've been having problems with headaches and eye pressure (above/behind my eye it feels like). The headaches are often worse late morning/early afternoon. Ibuprofen helps but a lot of days the headache/eye pressure is pretty bad and I will try and sleep it off. Also, for the past 1.5 years or so, my eyes have been twitching intermittently. Sleep, caffeine (or lack there of), potassium, stress levels, etc seem to have no impact on this.

I've called both my GP and my eye doctor. GP says I should make an appointment with him, eye doctor says no, I should see him.

Any ideas? Or should I just suck it up and go to both?
    "People ask me 'will I remember them if I make it'. I ask them 'will you remember me if I don't?'"

Both. Any other symptoms? Aches and pains, tired, etc?
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

1 members found this post helpful.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Welcome to adult medical care! Hit up your eye doctor and see what they offer up before you go to the GP.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

I would go to both, assuming it's not a financial hardship.

Otherwise, I'd start with the eye doctor (opthamologist right? Not just an optometrist?) who can at least rule out the things that are in his domain, if not diagnose something that the GP might not be able to.
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

I'd say eye doc. But I go to the instructors from my local college (large med school). They know their stuff! Don't just go to any "Best Buy" kind of doc. Go to a shure nuff, gonna know their stuff person.

Agree with LauraKY. Eye strain could cause headaches, but it could be more serious.

If you haven't had your wisdom teeth out that may be a possibility too. All four of my wisdom teeth were extremely impacted and gave me horrible headaches like you describe. Teeth came out headaches went away. Never would have made the connection if not for the awesome hygenist at my dentist's office, figured teeth should cause jaw pain, not headaches.
    It is only through labor and painful effort, by grim energy and resolute courage, that we move on to better things.
    Theodore Roosevelt
    Wild Maple Designs - Equestrian inspired apparel.

I'd go see a neurologist. Sounds like some of the symptoms I have with my migraines.

6 members found this post helpful.

I had similar symptoms. Went to my GP who loves this stuff. He sent me to get a CAT scan and talk to a neurologist. What we think it was is I have allergies in the fall, and the main symptom is a headache that won't go away. The only thing that really worked was a steroid nasal spray, and that wasn't immediate. I forgot about it this fall until my headaches were bad again, and then it got better with use of nasal spray and sinus headache stuff.

1) CAT scan to rule out tumors, strokes, other VERY IMPORTANT brain issues. 2) If nothing obvious there, then the eye doctor so you can look in those really fun blinding lights for half an hour. 3) If still nothing, dentist.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Well, you really shouldn't start with a neurologist...and I believe most will require a referral anyway. And a CT scan shouldn't be your first go to either (unless you have the worst headache of your life...then do not pass go, go directly to the emergency room). And we wonder why our medical care costs so much.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I had very similar symptoms.

We had a big forest fire here this summer and there was a lot of smoke in the air off and on for almost a month. I just figured that it was the smoke and it would go away when the smoke did.
    When they didn't I finally went to my regular doctor. She said she had seen so many people with the same symptoms and it ended up being a sinus infection.
    A course of antibiotics cleared it up.

I hope yours is that simple.
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Both. Any other symptoms? Aches and pains, tired, etc?
    Not really, at least that I've noticed lately.

I am still on my parent's insurance since I'm still in school, and it's very good, so I can go to both if need be. I just hate the eye doctor lol.

CDE Driver- I don't think it's a sinus infection, mostly because these symptoms have been occuring for a couple months at this point and I've had no other symptoms of a sinus infection.
    "People ask me 'will I remember them if I make it'. I ask them 'will you remember me if I don't?'"

I would go to both the GP and the eye doctor if insurance allows.

My sinuses were just like that. No other symptoms except headaches that were killing me. I tried doing the nasal thing where you put salt water through, and they weren't blocked and no snot. They just were swollen and hurt. I could almost feel the swelling from allergies.

I have psuedo tumor and see a opthamologist and nuero. Lot's of headaches and eye pressure. Good luck hope everything is OK>

I would try eye doctor, then try and rule out sinus/allergy related things. Both eye strain and sinus pressure cause similar/same symptoms for me. Just another doctor for you to visit!!
    I like mares. They remind me of myself: stubborn know it alls who only acknowledge you if you have food.
    Hannah B. Nana: 50% horse, 50% hippo
    Fiona: can't decide between jumpers or napping

Try a Claritin D.

It could very well be sinus swelling. Sounds *just* like it. As a matter of fact, I'm sitting here right now waiting for my eyeballs to shoot out of my skull and slap into the laptop screen...the pain sucks. However mine is from a combo of swelling and dry sinus. (claritin works a tad too well sometimes, LOL)

But do try something for sinus pressure first before going full panic mode. The symptoms are identical and that could possibly be the culprit.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Depends. Is your eye doctor an optometrist or an ophthalmologist?

He's an Optometrist. We do have an Opthamologist near by that I could call.

I'll try the Claritin... it's worth a shot if it will get rid of this, especiallly the eye pressure!

An ENT should be able to see if there's anything going on sinus wise. Sometimes frontal sinus infections get missed by GPs.

The frontals are right above your eyes - http://www.aaaai.org/conditions-and-...sinusitis.aspx