The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Sleepin' on the couch...you know you do it!

Okay, maybe you don't. I do.

I have a husband who has to get up at 5 am and I don't so I don't always go to bed at the same time, don't what to wake him up...so I sleep on the couch.

What is the best "OTC" stuff to watch now? Please don't tell me CNN, I already catch all that. And the history channel. What ELSE!?!?
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

OTC?

No, sorry. I don't sleep on the couch. My snoring SO, yeah, he gets booted to the living room occasionally.

And I'm with AliCat. What''s "OTC"?

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

"on the couch" = OTC I think. Mr. CC and I have different rooms--our sleep schedule is so different (he's a night owl/heavy sleeper and I am an early bird/light sleeper). I can't do the couch, so he stays in the computer room most nights and I take the master room as my primary spot. He gets the dogs in bed and I get the cats
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

My SO gets up earlier as well, and I have a hard time falling asleep so I will melt into the couch with the animals until I know I will pass out in bed.

So my go to's are any real housewives, Jersey shore, American dad, Fam guy, futurama, robot chicken almost all are re-runs or PVR's, or if I can find How it's Made, duck dynasty, or a GOOD fishing or hunting show. I love reality tv and it is a curse lol. Oh I also love the food network! Triple D is a fav and iron chef!

I snore, so if I know I am dead dog tired I will sleep on the couch(which I hate) because SO is a very light sleeper, and the last thing I want is a phone call from the hospital saying he's been injured, as a tired worker can make a careless or less attentive worker.

Default I fell asleep otc last night...

what do you like to watch? One channel that never goes to infomercials is ID channel. I have dish, it is 192. Also, if you have dish, you get serius.xm and they have around 100 channels of music. some are wonderful.
    Another killer of threads

1 members found this post helpful.

Separate bedrooms. Very different sleep schedules and ways of sleeping here, and SO snores BADLY. We share sometimes, but I have to face him away from me, and I still don't get a good night's sleep. I want more comfortable than the couch.

Oh lordy no. I don't sleep on the couch, ever. Every so often I piss Mr. Heinz off and he'll opt for the couch - which is saying something, since our house is only heated by pellet and wood stoves and is ridiculously cold with the exception of our bedroom (which has a heater).
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

I'm a coucher...have been for a couple years....

DVR is my friend so I watch what I have taped.... otherwise-- there is "not much on"....(even with over 100 channels)......

Sleep tight!

I'm an A&E person also CMT

I'm a couch sleeper as well. I love to watch tv at night to fall asleep and prefer to have the tv on all night while I sleep. I think it comes from living by myself and it was soothing to have background noise.
    DH is a pitch black bedroom person. No TV. And only noise is his ridiculously loud fan. Sometimes I can go to sleep in our bedroom. Other times like tonight I'm holed up on the couch channel surfing.
    I also love to cuddle the dogs. Maybe even more than DH.

If it's long term then a second mattress might be a worthy investment. No live-in SO (yet) but I struggle to get a good nights sleep on a couch when I crash with family or friends. Having a nice supportive pillow, a cuddly blanket, and a good sound machine helps a lot. If I don't turn the TV off until I'm tired then I get pulled into zombie tv watching where I am almost asleep but too awake to want to sleep. It's an awful feeling and it makes it easy to inadvertently stay up until the wee hours for no real reason.

I used to do it from time to time, but our old couch was much more comfortable for sleeping. It was pink and raggedy, with foam and stuffing poking out in places, though, so when DH's cousin was getting rid of a brown leather couch, we took it and got rid of the old one. New couch is definitely more attractive, and it's really easy to clean. But it's squishy, not firm like the other couch, and the leather feels cold.

So now DH has to put up with my snoring
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

I treasure my sofa because I can sleep like a baby in that thing. Not that I sleep on it all that often, but it is quite comfortable.

If the fabric ever starts to show signs of wear I will have a fabric cover made for it before I will ever get rid of it. In fact, I love this sofa so much, that it will have to be in the prenup when I get married. As in, don't even think about throwing this sofa out...lol.

Would be on the couch right now if we were at home, but we are at the inlaws, can't sleep for some reason tonight, so am in the dark on my iPhone while DH snores away next to me. Usually one of us takes the couch when the other is sick to try to lessen our chances of becoming sick as well or DH will take it on nights when he does a volunteer hotline. I usually will watch tvland or tbs I enjoy familiar reruns, or my DVR stuff.
    "They spend 11 months stuggling to live, and 25 years trying to die" my farrier

"They are dangerous on both ends and crafty in the middle"

I know every Law & Order/Law & Order CI episode by heart (not SVU - too much anxiety in that one). But will watch the reruns/saved episodes over again. Love my automatic off button on the TV.

Not even in a relationship right now, but my sibs and I all nod off at around 8:30-8:45, so can be couch sleepers nevertheless. And we all hate it. Go to each others' homes, and yup, the resident sib starts to nod off. When alone, I fight to watch those last 15 minutes of a show, and never seem to be able to do it.

Also love the old, old movies. And ID on Dish, too!

My couch cushions are down. I'm sunk, literally. And I even have extras, thanks to an ex-cat that sprayed throughout the house, and hit this couch right after it was delivered. The manufacturer wouldn't replace just one, but had to ship all 3!

Also frequented the couch with ex DH who tossed and turned so violently with back issues, that it almost always resulted in my waking up from the constant bouncing. Then he could fall asleep - once I was wide awake!
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

We have a very large couch that seats oh, probably 8 when set up right. DH and I sleep on it quite a bit me on one side him on the other But it is sooooooo comfortable!! Plus DH doesn't snore as bad on it as he does the bed

Nope, haven’t slept on the couch since college!

I get up an hour earlier for work than he does – I turn on just one little light in the bedroom and do not make much noise. I do most of my “getting ready” outside of the bedroom any way. Sometimes I manage to get to bed earlier than he does – and he is careful to be very quiet when he comes to bed, and hardly ever wakes me up.

We are both “good sleepers” no snoring, tossing and turning is minimal, and can get right back to sleep if woken up.

But I also avoid late day caffeine, late night TV watching (I read instead) etc to help insure a good night’s rest.

I'm a Law and Order addict. Love all of them. Mostly SVU or CI.

If I can find those on the TV, I'm golden. But lately they've been doing a lot of Rizzoli and Isles on TNT--my usual hookup for Law and Order.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

You MUST get Netflix for your TV! If you have a Wii or Xbox and Wifi in your home. You can get old TV shows, current ones ( but a season behind. Current season doesn't come on Netflix until a month before New season begins)

I have so far watched Dawson's Creek, Roswell, and other mundane teenage dramas that I never finished growing up I am currently watching "How I meet you mother"

Not to mention the plethora of movies that you can stream instantly