The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

But do they have an official name?
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." Caffeinated.

Sannois, when looking for/asking for them just call them "foam roller." Tons of different brand names. Also come in different lengths, widths, densities and some have bumps.
    Here's a bunch of them:
    http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/se...am+roller&sr=1
    That's where I got mine although I'm sure they can be found a lot of places and probably cheaper. I bought a 36" long, medium/hard density, 6" diameter. Smooth, not bumpy. IIRC it was $29.99.

I don't know much about them, I learned about them on this thread too. I do know the one I bought made an enormous difference in stretching and pain management for me. I do like the 36" long style, fits from my head to my butt. I thought when I started looking for them around here, if I asked about foam rollers people would think I was looking for painting supplies, LOL! But apparently I was the only person who hadn't heard about them, everyone knew exactly what I meant when I asked, "Do you carry foam rollers?"

I found a bunch of stretches on youtube, nice to see them done. But my PT let me borrow a book all about stretches and exercises for foam rollers, some even using 2-3 rollers. (I'm guessing I'd kill myself with more than one, I'm not overly coordinated) I took photos of positions and text under with my phone and returned the book to her. Funny part is I was thinking this was a newer exercise/stretching thing and the book was printed in the 1980s! The book had TONS of awesome stretches in there. I've got pages of new ways to torture myself.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

1 members found this post helpful.

How have I lived without knowing about these? I feel better just by watching the YouTube video! Must get...
    "We need a pinned ears icon." -MysticOakRanch

LOL, you sound like me Seabreeze. I checked out this thread a few OT times previous because I thought it was about painting tips and I like decorating threads. I had never heard of these either, checked them out, got one and simply adore it.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

I bought one since reading this thread and love it. Can't believe how much pain my tight pecs were causing me. Between this and my Miracle Ball Therapy balls, I'm always on the floor stretching something.

Another thing you can try if you can stand it is just a piece of PVC pipe. Get one around 6-8 inches in diameter and just cut to an appropriate length. It is much more intense than foam since there is no give but it hurts so good!

i have this image of KateKat wearing black leather, cracking a whip and laughing at my pain. I can NOT imagine enduring more pain than the foam roller (initially) serves up on my IT band. It does get better the 2nd, 3rd, 4th pass. But man oh man, that roller is one evil beeyotch.
    Try to break down crushing defeats into smaller, more manageable failures. It’s also helpful every now and then to stop, take stock of your situation, and really beat yourself up about it.The Onion

Can't wait to try one. I have terribly tight IT bands!
    Are the exercises on You tube? I know I need to go read the whole thread!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." Caffeinated.

I bought this right before my half marathon. I love it more then my foam roller.

https://www.thestick.com/
    "The joys of motherhood are never fully experienced until the children are in bed" UK

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianHippo View Post
    i have this image of KateKat wearing black leather, cracking a whip and laughing at my pain. I can NOT imagine enduring more pain than the foam roller (initially) serves up on my IT band. It does get better the 2nd, 3rd, 4th pass. But man oh man, that roller is one evil beeyotch.
    Muahahahaa!!!