The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I must have it. I have been using a rolled up yoga mat for my back, but this is this thing, it is the cat's ass.

But which one to get -- regular, high density? Rumble Roller? Oh, ow, yes?

1 members found this post helpful.

I feel I need one of these immediatly.

when it doubt get the rumble roller.

It may be tough at first but oh so worth it.

So funny because I just gone one today. I'm a marathon runner and have a very tight ITB band, and on running forums everyone says to try the roller.
    The second I got home today I tried it. Holymotherofgod it hurt. Can't say I feel improvement--kinda feel bruised-- but I'll stick with it.
    PS found mine at TJMaxx $12.99 18" wide

Okay, I think I might need one.. The older I get and the more I work out, the more sore I am.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

I had to make myself stop using it last night. I think I was bruised!

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianHippo View Post
    So funny because I just gone one today. I'm a marathon runner and have a very tight ITB band, and on running forums everyone says to try the roller.
    The second I got home today I tried it. Holymotherofgod it hurt. Can't say I feel improvement--kinda feel bruised-- but I'll stick with it.
    PS found mine at TJMaxx $12.99 18" wide
    HH...I'm training for my first full marathon (10 weeks away!) and I swear by my roller. It's the only thing that allows me to walk normally the day after my long slow run. It does hurt like hell while you're doing it, but afterwards...bliss.

The IT band is horrifyingly painful to roll. Try a variety of different leg and hand positions to see if you can lighten the pressure at first...as your body gets used to it, and the tight spots get worked out, your body will be able to take a more intense and deeper session.

For the IT band, I also find that "The Stick" or an old fashioned rolling pin works well. I've had my husband handroll my IT band for me on more than one occassion.
    Random horse pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/glfprncs/
    Talk to me about fitness or nutrition (I'm an A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer)!
    My blog! http://personalsweatequity.blogspot.com/

I'm also going out this weekend to buy one. Maybe two. Thinking of a regular type one and a rumble one. Looked up the rumble roller on google...looks like a fantastic medieval torture device! Just my kinda thing.

Thanks eponacowgirl for posting about this. Looks like you've started a rush on purchasing them. Can't wait to work some kinks out of my hips, chest, shoulders and neck.

Loved the posted video too...huge help seeing how to target areas. I could see me getting in all sorts of knots trying to figure that out on my own.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Quote Originally Posted by glfprncs View Post
    HH...I'm training for my first full marathon (10 weeks away!) and I swear by my roller. It's the only thing that allows me to walk normally the day after my long slow run. It does hurt like hell while you're doing it, but afterwards...bliss.

The IT band is horrifyingly painful to roll. Try a variety of different leg and hand positions to see if you can lighten the pressure at first...as your body gets used to it, and the tight spots get worked out, your body will be able to take a more intense and deeper session.

For the IT band, I also find that "The Stick" or an old fashioned rolling pin works well. I've had my husband handroll my IT band for me on more than one occassion.
    Thanks for the tips! We have one of those sticks, but unless I'm just doing calves or quads, it's hard for me to find a position where I can actually relax that group of muscles that I want to work on, and still apply pressure. I think this roller will be good because I can use my own body weight to do the work.
    But man I look forward to when it doesn't hurt quite so much. To say that I have tight fascia is an understatement; as mr HH so affectionately says, it's like giving a massage to a frozen turkey. :lol

And I hope you have a great marathon! Good for you. I didn't start running them until 2010, but I absolutely love it. We only do 1 or 2 a year, just don't have the time to be in constant heavy training. Keep your goals modest for the first time out and I betcha you get hooked too.

Rollers are the best things ever for trigger point pain. My knee pain has all but vanished since keeping my IT bands happier.

I have the trigger point "grid" foam roller. I love that thing. I'm a long course triathlete and am prone to ITB tightness, and that thing keeps me able to train. I roll twice a day!

I wasn't a huge fan of the rumble roller, which caused me a ton of bruising, but the grid is amazing.

I don't know if y'all noticed your horses ears suddenly pricking up just now, but that was me screaming as I rolled that %#^&*! IT Band.

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I'm also going out this weekend to buy one. Maybe two. Thinking of a regular type one and a rumble one. Looked up the rumble roller on google...looks like a fantastic medieval torture device! Just my kinda thing.

Thanks eponacowgirl for posting about this. Looks like you've started a rush on purchasing them. Can't wait to work some kinks out of my hips, chest, shoulders and neck.

Loved the posted video too...huge help seeing how to target areas. I could see me getting in all sorts of knots trying to figure that out on my own.
    If I don't post after this one, then the "rumble roller" got the best of me!

IT band roll out is the worst! and best, after about a week or two.

You can also use the roller for pilates work, increases work to keep stable. You can do toe touches and leg lifts.

Oh, also in New England area. I found mine at Ocean state job lot for $15

Ran 16 miles today...could hardly walk in from the street. Took an hour long Epsom salt bath & foam rolled for 15 minutes. I almost feel human again.
    Random horse pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/glfprncs/
    Talk to me about fitness or nutrition (I'm an A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer)!
    My blog! http://personalsweatequity.blogspot.com/

This thread reminded me to show DH how to use the foam roller for his back. He saw immediate improvement. And then I finally got my butt to the gym for a swim/run, and I grabbed the roller afterwards for a little IT band torture. Thanks for the reminder!
    "Ponies are a socially acceptable form of child abuse." - said by a friend when asked if she was going to find a pony for her 5 year old daughter.

would this be too much for someone like me with (severe) fibromyalgia? I think it could help me since I do need myofacial release...... but I have very bad pain from the slightest touch. Thanks!

I have one from PT orders from back injury, but I hate it!! Notice zero difference, but I keep plugging away...(or rolling that is)

are you rolling out dough or rolling until you find a hot spot and then settling on it until it releases?

Both. Told to do 15 rolls x 2 daily and if I find a point to sit on it. Except, I've never felt a release, just discomfort, so not sure if hanging out longer on it would change things.