The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Honestly, I want to make a pact with... someone... a divine entity... that if they'll release all the tightness from my body I'll promise to take better care of my muscles this time 'round!

Foam rolled my butt for about 20 minutes today. IT bands are killer. My hip flexors are bad, too!

After reading this I bought one and don't know whether to smack you or thank you.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SendenHorse View Post
    would this be too much for someone like me with (severe) fibromyalgia? I think it could help me since I do need myofacial release...... but I have very bad pain from the slightest touch. Thanks!
    SendenHorse, maybe use one in a PT setting the first few times? While it may be just what you need, I do have to say the pain ranks pretty high up there (and I've normally got a high pain threshold). It takes a lot of breathing and willpower for me to not tense the muscles, and just sit on that trigger point until it releases. I've worked with riders with FM, and if you tend to get in a cycle where pain= tightness = more pain = more tightness, then based on my limited experience I wouldn't try this torture device at home alone.
    (On the other hand, you might find that pain which you control is more endurable than pain that you don't control (like a massage therapist working on problem areas).

Basically we are now imitating our horses

1 members found this post helpful.

Okay - I really need one of these as I feel like a creaky 80 year old most days!

What size for a newbie? I won't really be traveling with it (by air anyway, for now...)! So get the longer one? Are the widths the same? I am about to embark on quite a weight training and cardio plan, so I am sure this will help.

Quote Originally Posted by starrunner View Post
    Both. Told to do 15 rolls x 2 daily and if I find a point to sit on it. Except, I've never felt a release, just discomfort, so not sure if hanging out longer on it would change things.
    When you sit on it use your breath and try to 'release' the area.

If I am on my calf, for example, and hit a hot spot, I settle. I gently 'jiggle' my leg a bit to make sure it is totally relaxed.

The hot spot will make you tense up and then it can't release. You really have to use breath and tiny micro-movements to let gravity and lack of other body tension help it release.

Does that make any sense?

I also have never counted. I just roll until hot spot settle for moment and carry on. I "roll by feel" not by numbers.

Just adding...

There is a Beachbody program called "Tai Cheng" that is a 12 week program.

It uses the foam roller daily as a part of a Neural Reboot.

The program literally changed my life...I am pain free after years of chronic low back pain.

I did the 12 weeks straight and now do a Tai Cheng routine, including the Reboot, once a week to keep straight and balanced.

The program is not terribly expensive and will improve your skills in the saddle like you can't believe.

It does wonders for creating/improving an independent seat.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

I picked up one at Target, but all of you who mentioned finding them at TJ Maxx have inspired me to make a TJ's run tomorrow. Does anyone have a decided preference on the 18" versus the longer one?
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

I can see how one of each would be useful, honestly. Mine is probably 2'? Slightly wider than my yoga mat. I can sit on it, lay on it length wise or sideways, etc etc.

I'm thinking about a shorter rumble roller for my calves and one spot between my shoulder blades that I can't situate the longer regular roller quite right to get to.

I just ordered two overpriced-yet-discounted Rumble Rollers from Amazon.com.

While I wait for these to arrive I am going to make a smooth roller from some PVC we have in the garage and one of my old yoga mats. I figure that if it's too hard I can just wrap more mat around it.

This should be far superior to humping a tennis ball.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    Well here's a good reason for OT days....I have rotten myofascial tightness all the time and never heard of this roller. I saw the title and thought someone really liked painting, LOL!

Will be looking into this. I have a bunch of stretches and exercises for myo release that I got from the PT and those are a big help. A few of them I'm supposed to use a rolled up blanket, this looks a lot more convenient.

Where does one buy these?
    Ugh, me, too. Misery.

I do have one of those rollers. It might be time to get it back out.

Got one!!! Just bought one at Dick's Sporting Goods.

Bought the 6" diameter, 36" long one. Wanted the longer one because a major problem area for me is the chest/sternum/collarbone area that tightens up enough to almost fold me. The best exercise I do now is lying on a rolled up blanket...ass to neck in length...and relaxing and letting my chest area to open up and stretch. And it *hurts* but feels so much better later. That area gets so tight that when I stretch it that way, it can be *heard* from across the room, LOL! (PT had to manipulate my top rib back out from behind my collarbone where it was stuck due to myofascial tightening)

So I needed a long one to go from arse to neck...that way I can also stretch my hip flexors and pelvis.

We saw a few different Rumble Rollers...Mr Blue said, "you don't want THAT thing, do you?" Boy those knobby things on it feel firm! Looks like something from the Spanish Inquisition. But it also looks like it does a fabulous job on deep tissue problem areas too. I'll start out with the smooth one first though.

So thrilled about this thread!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Turns out mine is Ultra High Density, and I need something that feels a little less like granite.

Just bumping this thread...
    Have had my foam roller for just about a month now.

HUGE difference in chronic pain. Still have it, but it's a lot less now.

I didn't realize they come in density ratings, mine is pretty firm. Kinda like a rock. But it's still a big help. Painful when using it right, but then I have chronic pain so what's more pain? But I can release a lot more areas now and stretch the crap out of other tough spots too.

Love my foam roller! Love, love, love it. Thanks so much for this thread, made a big difference for me.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

me too, Misty. The IT Band roll still hurts when I do it, but probably 85% less. And the deep ache I had from glute down to the knee is totally gone.
    Thanks all-- not sure I can remember a thread that so directly and materially helped me.
    Try to break down crushing defeats into smaller, more manageable failures. It’s also helpful every now and then to stop, take stock of your situation, and really beat yourself up about it.The Onion

2 members found this post helpful.

I find myself having to use mine less and less AND my pain is drastically reduced!

I almost bought one last month because of this thread, but chickened out at the last minute because of the price and the cubic space it would take up in my already crammed house.
    But if there are cheaper options than target, i might have to shop around tomorrow.
    I'll use a yoga block on its 'medium setting' under my back in yoga class to release my shoulders (fish pose or something?) But it'd be nice to have something at home too. I also use those miracle balls (about softball sized bouncy balls) and lay on them, so I think a roller would work for me, too.
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

I bought a new one that is less 'dense' and found it on Amazon. It's the full-length one, and it wasn't that expensive. Probably under $30.

A cheap instant substitute is a foam pool toy. It's only a couple of inches thick and medium dense, but it is full length and dollar stores have them and you can roll on it right away. Sometimes when the pain is really intense using a thick roller is difficult.

I am bumping this up, because I really want one, and cannot remember what they are called, I keep thinking pool noodle! I talked to someone at my gym and he swears by them, He got his from his Chiro.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

The pool noodles are the small diameter ones, I think. Again, I got mine from a dollar store. For the regular ones just look on Amazon.