The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

First thing I'd look for is a tack consignment store in your area! It's a good source for blankets, bridles & martingales. You can get more for your $ and see what the leather looks like after it's been used for a while. Just make sure you go for well cared for pieces and check stitching, etc. carefully.

For new saddles, Intrepid is worth looking at.

In terms of priorities for shopping, start with what your horse will need to be comfortable. Blankets? Boots or polo wraps for riding? After that, think about your grooming & tacking routine. Is there anything the barn doesn't have that you need or that always seems to walk away so you can't find it in a hurry? Prioritize those things so you can enjoy your time at the barn and not be stressed about finding missing pieces in time for a lesson.

Finally, think about what you absolutely need (i.e. some sort of storage container) vs. what you'd love & be excited to have (a nice trunk). Economize or do without a few of those now and let your husband provide a few of these "special" things for birthday/anniversary gifts. Most likely, he'll be happy to have gift ideas (not that all men don't adore shopping and can be the hero when he gets something you're really excited about.

I wish wish wish I had a consignment shop in this area, sadly I'm out of luck there. I have but a single tack shop and it's rather small and an hour away. Thanks so much for the advice guys, I'm soaking it in, keep it coming!

Check with the owner before buying a saddle. They will be able to tell you first, whether they are OK with you using your own saddle on the horse, and second, which saddles might work for the horse.
    I have a Pessoa that works for most horses. Foam panels are not the end of the world if this will not be your horse forever, good quality foam panels will adjust a reasonable amount to fit different horses.
    If you're showing, you may be looking for the "right" sort of saddle. If that's not a criteria, then don't overlook Stubbens. They fit many horses, are available used for reasonable prices, and can usually be resold for about what you paid for them.
    Another saddle you should not overlook is a Smith Worthington. They're good quality saddles, a little harder to find, but a good buy and almost always wool flocked, if that's what you prefer.They also have some good buys on their discontinued saddles now.
    If you're not getting your own saddle, then having your own leathers and irons is a great idea. You will certainly want your own brushes, and a halter and lead rope of your own is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post

However, unless YOU are a hard fit (very tall, for example) I probably wouldn't buy a saddle until I wanted to fit a specific horse. When I've leased one of my horses in the past I only let the lessee ride in their own tack if a saddle fitter confirmed the fit, otherwise, they rode in mine.
    I agree. I would not buy a saddle until finding the horse I was going to be leasing and discussing it with the owner. if I was leasing my horse, I'd expect the leasor to use my saddle (and take excellent care of it) because my horse is extremely hard to fit. If I had to go custom to get something to fit him correctly, a cheapo saddle or even a nice used is most likely not going to fit. You won't know about things like that until you've found the horse and spoken to the owner.

I would do leathers, stirrups, brushes and then wait for things like bridle, bit, blankets, etc. until the horse has been found.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

Quote Originally Posted by RugBug View Post
    I agree. I would not buy a saddle until finding the horse I was going to be leasing and discussing it with the owner. if I was leasing my horse, I'd expect the leasor to use my saddle (and take excellent care of it) because my horse is extremely hard to fit. If I had to go custom to get something to fit him correctly, a cheapo saddle or even a nice used is most likely not going to fit. You won't know about things like that until you've found the horse and spoken to the owner.
    On the other side of the coin, I would not lease a horse that I couldn't ride in my own saddle.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    On the other side of the coin, I would not lease a horse that I couldn't ride in my own saddle.
    I have always let potential lessors try their own tack on my horses if they want. I have my saddles professionally checked/fitted every six months and if their saddle passes muster, no problem. However, I've seen horses end up with some serious back issues when ridden in tack that doesn't fit and it wouldn't be worth it to me to subject them to that.

Most of the time people who leased my horses were fine using my saddles, but I suppose there might be someone who is such a different shape from me that my saddles might not work for them.

It's all part of how you arrange the lease agreement.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

1 members found this post helpful.

Me too. My Antares saddle is made for me. It would be hard for me to ride in a saddle that does not fit me, even if it fits the horse. My daughter, who catch rides a lot, always uses her own saddle.

Quote Originally Posted by gumshoe View Post
    I was also going to suggest sticking with just leathers and irons. That way you don't have to adjust them every time you get on. Don't bother getting a saddle until you have a horse to fit it to. Adjustable doesn't mean it will fit everything. Sometimes people leasing their horses want the horse's saddle to go with it so you may not even need one. Wait til you get the horse.
    How is swapping out the leathers easier than adjusting the stirrups?

I love my Pessoa with the XCH gullet that I bought used on CL.

I read on another thread that Toulose took a while to perfect the Genesis system, so go with a newer model if you go that route.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

I'd say plan a weekend road trip to Hits Ocala. Load your son in the car and get a hotel for a night - it's doable from where you are. There are great tack shops and you'll have fun seeing some of the show!

I guess you won't be leasing my horse then. If a leasor's saddle happen to fit my horse, it wouldn't be an issue. However, seeing that I tried plenty of saddles on him when looking for something to fit and only found one that really did before going custom (and it was someone else's custom saddle built for their very narrow TB) I can't imagine that would be the case.

I've seen enough people in horribly fitting saddles to believe that few people really know what a proper rider fit is anyway. I have a hard time believing that my high quality, well balanced saddle would be an issue. It might not be perfect, but it wouldn't be horrible either. If someone's position is so reliant on a specific saddle that they can't ride in another nice saddle? Well, I guess they just wouldn't be leasing my horse then.

BTW - I would prefer to not let anyone else ride in my saddle, but my horse is more important to me than my saddle.

edited to add: I did write my post with more of a half lease in mind because that's all I would do, but if it was a full lease, they would have to have their saddle approved by the saddle fitter of my choice.

Quote Originally Posted by PonyPenny View Post
    Me too. My Antares saddle is made for me. It would be hard for me to ride in a saddle that does not fit me, even if it fits the horse. My daughter, who catch rides a lot, always uses her own saddle.
    There's a difference between catch riding a horse for a 10 minute ride and using a saddle on a horse many times a week for hours at a time. A well balanced and light rider can get away with more than a heavier rider or one who sits heavily in the saddle, too.

I've seen enough people in horribly fitting saddles to believe that few people really know what a proper rider fit is anyway.
    Got to agree with you! I have seen people riding in very pretty, very expensive saddles that don't come close to fitting their horses or them! Mostly I see people riding in saddles that are too small so they are jammed up against the cantle. I've also seen a fair number of people riding in saddles that are sitting directly on their horse's spine.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

I would hold off on a saddle until you find the horse and know what size he needs. Then go to Ocala or even Jacksonville for a great consignment shop and look for a used saddle. You will get a better deal and might be able to try it for fit. If I were leasing my horse I would want my horse to have his own grooming supplies. Brushes, hoof pick, wash bucket and sponge, show sheen, etc. along with your basics, paddock boots, helmet, half chaps, get a set of polo wraps or at least splint boots. The owner will tell you what the horse needs, and lots of his favorite treats. I am in South Georgia and feel your pain. No tack shops close! Oh and Home Depot has a great Stanley truck for $50 on wheels. Holds a lot! Good luck and have fun!

Is this a full lease or a shared one?

Esp with a shared one I would recommend using your own saddle pad - that way the owner, if still riding part-time, would not have to face a dirty wet one when it's their turn. And your own grooming box so you won't be rooting thru someone else's tack.

Quote Originally Posted by RugBug View Post
    I guess you won't be leasing my horse then. If a leasor's saddle happen to fit my horse, it wouldn't be an issue. However, seeing that I tried plenty of saddles on him when looking for something to fit and only found one that really did before going custom (and it was someone else's custom saddle built for their very narrow TB) I can't imagine that would be the case.

I've seen enough people in horribly fitting saddles to believe that few people really know what a proper rider fit is anyway. I have a hard time believing that my high quality, well balanced saddle would be an issue. It might not be perfect, but it wouldn't be horrible either. If someone's position is so reliant on a specific saddle that they can't ride in another nice saddle? Well, I guess they just wouldn't be leasing my horse then.

BTW - I would prefer to not let anyone else ride in my saddle, but my horse is more important to me than my saddle.

edited to add: I did write my post with more of a half lease in mind because that's all I would do, but if it was a full lease, they would have to have their saddle approved by the saddle fitter of my choice.
    Interesting. What about trainers using their own saddles? I have only seen trainers use their own saddles, never a clients saddle.

Definitely have your own grooming kit! It doesn't have to be a huge investment, but you can choose brushes that "fit" your hand, and also never worry about using brushes that have been used on other horses.

Interesting. What about trainers using their own saddles? I have only seen trainers use their own saddles, never a clients saddle.
    Interestingly I've only seem the inverse. My trainers always want the best fit for the horse. They're good enough that they can make a 16" seat or a 18.5" seat work long enough to address a problem. It seems to be the extreme one way or another when it comes to trainers using saddles.

OP: I wouldn't buy anything that I had access to but I would probably pick up a set of brushes and a few saddle pads since those can be used for years to come on different horses. Unless absolutely imperative, I wouldn't buy a saddle or a bridle.

My trainer uses my saddle when she rides my horse...which is rarely and only to get him out when I can't be there. When I had my other horse, who was easier to fit saddle-wise, in training, she rode him in his saddle. Her personal saddle was custom made for her horse and she doesn't want it used on other horses either.

If a trainer's saddle fit my horse, then I would be fine with it. But again, seeing that I had a lot of saddles on my horse and none were narrow enough, I'd be skeptical of anything without seeing it fit first hand.

i get that trainers want to ride in their own saddle. heck, I LOVE my saddle and would like to never sit in anything but it, but has a horseman, I'm going to put the horse above MY wants. If my saddle were to fit another horse I was riding, I would use it. If it didn't, I would use a saddle that did. Simple as that.

This won't be a shared lease in the sense of the owner sharing the lease, I can't afford to move barns(location) and the place I'm at has nothing to offer. I have another person taking lessons with me and we plan to "half lease" together, I hope that makes sense. While I would love for the horse to come with tack, something tells me with an off site lease that's not going to happen.

I'd hold off on the saddle. It's a big purchase and should require a lot of thinking and research.

The most important considerations are fit for the horse and you. That said, your budget is also a key limitation. These factors are going to determine which brands you consider and whether you buy new or used.

You've already found from the replies you've garnered that people on COTH have very strong opinions on MToulouse saddles. They are a cheaper line of saddles. That said, they may do fine for you. Personally, I feel that they don't deserve the bad rap they have on COTH. At our barn, the lesson saddles are mostly MToulouse. They are heavily used and, as you might imagine, are subjected to knocking around and not the best care. They are all about 6-7 years old and are holding up well. I bought one (a Noelle) for my daughter when she leased a hard-to-fit TB, and her previous saddle did not come close to fitting the horse. She loved it--it was comfortable and good-looking. She took good care of it, and after several years of moderate use, it looks almost brand-new. I think it was a good buy and a decent investment.

That said, I know the Toulouse is not a really well-made saddle that will last for a lifetime, not like a Stubben, for example. After you determine what is going to fit yourself and your horse and how much you can afford to spend, what you need to do is ask yourself questions like how much riding you are likely to do every week, what kind of showing goals you have, and how likely it is that you will need a quick resale. You may find that a saddle like an MToulouse Celine or a Collegiate Parfaire is a perfect answer for you.

Good luck!
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Plenty of quality used stuff out there, try tack shops, tack swaps, craigslist, club classified ads, etc. Where I live some of the rescues have tack shops, like Days End Horse Rescue (www.defhr.org)
    Appy Trails,
    Kathy & Cadet
    member CDCTA www.cdcta.com, TROT www.trot-md.org & Free State Appaloosa Horse Club freestateaphc.org