The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Help/Opinion on Cross-fencing

I read through the pasture management and manure/composting threads and it made me realize that we really need to get our small pasture cross-fenced. Would love your thoughts...

I board my foxhunter so we only have 1 large pony and 1 tiny miniature at home. I pick the field (2 acres with barn/run-in) every day or every two days and we compost. We want to cross-post two paddocks and one small sacrifice area.

Best materials to use? I don't want to do more three-board fence.
    "No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle" - Winston Churchill

Check out Central Virginia Horse Rescue

I've got my 2 acres cross fenced with two strands of Gallagher 1/2" tape on capped t-posts. The posts are set 20' apart, with the top strand at ~40" and the bottom strand at ~20". I use tape with a spring gate handle to open/close them.

I've had up to 3 QH turned out in that set-up with no problems. My current QH and his mini mule are doing just fine. The only big consideration is making sure the strand heights work for both the tall and short parts of your herd. Also, the mule will go between strands and under the single strand gates if it's not hot, so I make a point of walking the fence and checking for shorts every couple of weeks.

It was pretty cheap to put in and we've had pretty much zero maintenance required in 3 years. Plus, it's easy to take down / move if needed or wanted for pasture maintenance.

This is INCREDIBLY helpful and exactly what I was looking for! It is great to hear that this setup worked for you since you have the same acreage to work with and a similar big/little herd Thank you so much!
    "No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle" - Winston Churchill

Check out Central Virginia Horse Rescue

You're welcome. I guess the only thing I'd add is that the fencing for my sacrifice paddock (barn stalls open to it) is a bit heftier. It's tensioned electric cable (that's what our perimeter is) on one side, no-climb on another, 3-rail on the front, and a shed / electric gate that opens to the pasture. I'm sure that it could have been made with the 2-strand tape (with an appropriate perimeter fence) but we didn't need it as it was pretty contained by other fenced areas and the shed.