The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Getting a good scholarship

DD has all A's and nearly a perfect college exam test score. She is a good student for any school. She is interested in 2 schools. Her favorite is private. They have called and emailed often and offered her some money already. It is not enough to make it cheaper than the public school. She will try to get a bigger scholarship in the spring.

The high school told us to tell the school we need more funds to make tuition work. We can not get grants, and can pay cash for the public school. We can not pay all the private school.

What has worked to get scholarships to your favorite schools?

I agree that you cant talk to the financial aid department at the private school to see about getting more funds, but sometimes it just doesn't work. The best thing to do is work on getting more and more private scholarships.

Check out FastWeb.com - it's what I used and helps A LOT. The thing I like best is that it even pulled up scholarships from my specific college within the university. Also check out the local community foundation, etc for scholarship opportunities. You'd be amazed at how many 'small' scholarships have little to no competition for them, but a bunch of $500/$750 scholarships can add up!
    To be loved by a horse should fill us with awe, for we hath not deserved it.

2 members found this post helpful.

Are you talking merit or need-based aid? If merit, besides the good tips above, she needs to apply to schools where she is in the very top of the student pool -- where she is better than most of the students. Also try picking schools that have large endowments, i.e. they have the means to offer aid.

There are some books that I've seen people recommend, finding a good general resource probably is a good idea.

There are other ways to finance school -- ROTC being one.

Quote Originally Posted by SMF11 View Post
    There are other ways to finance school -- ROTC being one.
    ROTC is a great option (I commission this May and had all of my tuition+books paid for) BUT it is definitely not for everyone and is NOT guaranteed to pay for school. It is getting more and more difficult to get scholarships. You need to have the grades and the fitness level. It's probably too late to apply for a scholarship for the first year but she could try for a 3 year scholarship once in school if it's something she is interested in. I was in charge of 25 freshmen this past semester and only 5 were on scholarship... the rest will have to earn a 3 year scholarship (competitive too) or go into the national guard. Navy and AF is even more difficult to get a scholarship. About 75% of our program is in the national guard using tuition assistance to pay for school.

Fastweb.com is a great resource. They will post a ton of scholarships that you can apply for. Some are as simple as writing a short essay, some you need to actually do something like write a story or something. But every little bit adds up!

Also, my high school had a career center that was a great resource. Our career center tech always kept a list of scholarships available- many were through small businesses or different foundations. Some were need based (which it sounds like you won't qualify for) but many were merit or interest based. Some had to do with specific major, club, hobby, job occupation, etc.

What does she plan to major in? Many majors have a club or society that she can join and they will often have scholarships available or will know where to find some. Occupations often also have someone who is looking to award a scholarship- when I was planning to major in Chemistry, a lot of medical organizations offered scholarships for people with chem/bio/pre-med majors.
    "People ask me 'will I remember them if I make it'. I ask them 'will you remember me if I don't?'"

SMF, DD applied to 2 schools in other states. Both are large schools. She has a good chance in state. She may not have as good a chance out of state.

Private schools usually have more funds to offer, right?

She will not apply to ROTC. She will look at fastweb.

She is intending to be a doctor or pharmacist.

Is either parent a veteran? My dad fought in Korea and the VA gave my younger sister and me both a full ride.
    "A horse gallops with his lungs, perseveres with his heart, and wins with his character." - Tesio

And don't knock out federal/need based aid. My family never though we'd be eligible, but my dad decided to try for it anyway, and we were offered a few thousand dollars. Not sure if it was in loans or actual aid, but it was worth looking into, even though forms are a pain in the butt.

The more you contact the school/inquire about aid/admissions without being controlling (not saying that you personally are, just the general you ), the more likely someone might be willing to give your kid a bit more leeway or a bit more money. Nearly every bit of the college admissions deal these days is a game, and it requires quite a bit of kiss-assing unfortunately.
    I like mares. They remind me of myself: stubborn know it alls who only acknowledge you if you have food.
    Hannah B. Nana: 50% horse, 50% hippo
    Fiona: can't decide between jumpers or napping

There are scholarships for all and from just about all! I'm focusing on specific ones but here are some links I use. Don't forget your local clubs, some horse associations have scholarships. I few $500 scholarships help!

http://www.scholarships.com/main.aspx

http://www.collegeview.com/articles/...arly-and-often

http://collegegrantsforwomen.org/sch...d-for-college/

http://www.scholarshippoints.com/win/

http://www.moolahspot.com/scholarshi....cfm?success=1

*warning* some of these will have links or ads for the For-Profit schools (think University of Phoenix, etc), be careful, I have inadvertently given my cell number to them LOL!! I have them blocked using the Mr. Number app now but they are belligerantly persistent!
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Electrikk View Post
    The more you contact the school/inquire about aid/admissions without being controlling (not saying that you personally are, just the general you ), the more likely someone might be willing to give your kid a bit more leeway or a bit more money.
    When to begin doing this? In January or in April? May 1 is the date to accept.

Start now! Just get all and any info you can. Fin Aid is a huge messy maze, let them help you through it. Some of the forms take time to process.

Scholarships all have different dates so keep up on the due dates.
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

Whatever you do, get it in writing.

My school's admissions and financial aid dept said that I would be receiving in-state tuition even though I am out of state. Its a long story as of why. I confirmed this through email twice. They said I was good to go.
    Then I turned down all of my other schools (Penn State, WVU, WCU), went to Orientation that May, and then found out that they had made a mistake and they were unable to give me the instate. We showed them what was sent to me in writing and they said that they could give me $2000 to help but that was all they could do.
    I told them I'd be there a year and then I was out. I ended up getting a full scholarship through ROTC so I stayed.
    "People ask me 'will I remember them if I make it'. I ask them 'will you remember me if I don't?'"

Milocal, was an email not writing?

Quote Originally Posted by nylonalter View Post
    The question wasn't directed at me, but in the world of higher education financial aid, email's are worth almost squat. You can try (perhaps it's different with smaller schools, I only have experience with large universities) to get somewhere with an email, but I know that having it in writing is always 100% better. Writing a letter is intentional, but it's easy for someone to make a case of someone not having the authority to send an email and make an offer.

Bureaucracy sucks.
    To be loved by a horse should fill us with awe, for we hath not deserved it.

Woww Milocal that really sucks rocks, I woulda told them to shove it & gone somehwere else, I guess it was alot more there?
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

I got many scholarships when I was in grad school because I was aggressive about seeking them out and I applied for everything I was remotely eligible for. I think I got a couple of the more obscure ones (e.g. $500 from the local MENSA chapter) simply because I was the only one who applied for them.

It is amazing how many scholarships are out there. Scholarships for members of different religions, of different nationalities (e.g. of Polish descent), women pursuing male-dominated careers, for members of different clubs and organizations (e.g. 4-H, Speech Club...). You just have to be persistent in seeking them out. Google is your friend.

Quote Originally Posted by nylonalter View Post
    I would have thought it was, but the school said there was nothing they could do. At least we would have had something more concrete if it was physically in writing.

By that time it was too late to go anywhere else for that first semester. I had planned to transfer to another school (REALLY wish I would have...) but I ended up receiving an ROTC scholarship and we have a great ROTC program so I stayed.