The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Surreal sights

I live about 30 minutes from the barn, and the drive is all county roads and lots of fields, some with cattle and horses.

There is one field that has always been empty and shows no indication of having stock in recent history. The fence is run down and has gaps that used to house gates and are now just open.

Several weeks ago, I was stunned to see HUNDREDS of sheep in the field. They were a ways off, but the fence was still in terrible shape and there were still no gates.

I see the sheep every now and then and my husband always gives me shit because they're never there when we drive by together.

Yesterday the field was full of sheep again--this time there were groups only perhaps a few dozen feet from the gaps in the fence and the very busy road.

When I drove through again just an hour or two later, they were gone.

Here are some of the sheep: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8910234...in/photostream

It's really very weird. What weird and/or surreal stuff do you see driving around?

We've probably seen the same sheep, Simkie! I know there is a sheepherder that moves his bands all over the CO/MT/WY area and like you, I've noticed they appear and disappear overnight. I've seen guys in trucks checking in on the herder and seen his little wagon off to the side sometimes. The one I see has at least a couple white LGD and a few BC type dogs. I think he moves at night to avoid the traffic/chaos and beds down during the day a lot of the time; I've rarely seen him on the move-my guy anyway.

I could have taken the picture you posted-very very similar.

Interesting cowboymom! These sheep have been around for a couple weeks, at least, and I assume that they're over the ridge where I cannot see them most of the time (if they're not over the ridge, then I really have no idea what they're all about!)

It's just so weird to periodically see HUNDREDS of sheep in a field that's totally not set up for livestock! In that pic, I'm not using any zoom at all, and I am in my car on the road. There's no gate! And they're right there!

It's quite common to use sheep to clean up land. It use to be quite common. Around me they turn cattle out on early wheat fields. There will just be a a single hot wire around the field. Unless you look carefully you don't see it.

To the original OP, Just wanted to say I went to Ft Collins at Thanksgiving to visit family who recently moved there. What a great place, can't wait to go back. We did the 4K Turkey Trot and biking out in the country. You live in a lovely area.
    "You gave your life to become the person you are right now. Was it worth it?" Richard Bach

No, there is really nothing between the sheep and the holes in the fence. Seriously. I am familiar with seeing stock in a field behind one strand of hot wire and it's not there.

Calhoun, glad you liked the area! It is a pretty neat place to live

I've never seen a wire or anything around the bands I see either-having lived on a sheep ranch and seen it, I think the sheep and the dogs watching them get used to visual barriers as long as there is enough feed where they are. If they're on the move they eat on the move so aren't as hungry as sheep in a pen on a schedule.

check this out: http://sweetgrassthemovie.com/trailer/

I was trying to find an article about the band I always saw but so far can't find it...