The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Looking for a trainer in FL/GA for helping with young FEI prospect

Ok, so I have a very nice imported 4YO Olden. gelding that I would like some help with.
    I'm a young horse trainer myself and he is overall a good boy. But he naturally wants to go like an upper level horse (very uphill) and could sit on his butt all day long.
    He has a very short back, with a good hind leg, a lot of knee action in the front and he struggles a lot with lengthenings. He is a little bit on the lazy side but as I said he would rather sit and collect than reach forward and loosen up.
    I took him to his first show a couple of weeks ago and he won his 2 training classes with some good scores.
    I can get him to stretch and be long and low, but when I ask him to extend he just doesn't cover any ground. He has plenty of suspension, he just doesn't cover much ground.

It is easier for him to canter a 10m circle than it is to do a medium trot on the long side .

I have been riding him very forward and kind of trying to just push him outside of his comfort zone and usually at the end of my rides he feels great and looks much better. I would like to show him in the FEI 5YO next year and would love to get some pointers with him.

I'm looking for a trainer that uses some of the German principles. By that I mean that when the horses are young they ride them very forward, more so than what people are used to doing here. I think that my horse would do better in that type of program...

I'm located in central Florida, but I can travel a bit for the right coach

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

After watching her ride in the Debbie McDonald clinic this weekend, I would send a horse to Laura Graves in a heartbeat. She is in Geneva, FL.

http://www.crosstiesllc.com/about.html
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Quote Originally Posted by Lucassb View Post
    After watching her ride in the Debbie McDonald clinic this weekend, I would send a horse to Laura Graves in a heartbeat. She is in Geneva, FL.

http://www.crosstiesllc.com/about.html
    Yes! She was great (as was her horse!). And she is in the north Orlando area, so basically in the OP's home turf.

What about Erin Brinkman? I say this having only seen and been impressed by riders and horses she's produced--I've never actually seen her ride!

Another thought, from eventing land: can you get him out hacking with another, more forward horse and use the keeping-up-with-a-friend instinct to get him moving more forward? I have a green 5 year old with very similar-sounding tendencies and playing follow-the-leader with my older, forward mare has been the best way so far to get the young one really moving forward. She also is still somewhat stuck in the shoulders with a rider up, but seems to enjoy lateral work, so my plan with her this fall is to get out hacking as much as possible, and do hills and lateral work to strengthen her and free up her shoulders.

(My young one also just popped some withers over the summer and seems to be moving more freely out in pasture, so I'm hoping that will translate to under-saddle work! Until a couple months ago she was shaped like a propane tank.... )

Hi
    Eline Eckroth is just south of Ocala and does wonderful stuff with her horses and riders. She has some very nice upper level horses she has brought along and doing very very well.

Eckrothdressage.com
    http://www.eckrothdressage.com
    Last edited by spook1; Sep. 30, 2013 at 06:26 PM. Reason: tried to add direct link

OP - sent you a PM - apparently twice so you can disregard one...
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

Thanks guys,

I work on regular basis with Erin with one of my other horses and I'm planning on getting some help from her with one of my clients horses (schooling some of the 4th level stuff and half steps). She has helped me a lot in the past. But I have an idea of what this horse needs at this stage and I was trying to get an other perspective.

And yes, Eline is wonderful, I know her pretty well and she is a great rider.

Grasshopper, I was an eventing rider for years and so yes, I try to take my youngsters out of the ring as much as possible. He is not a big, big fan of trail rides, but I have had some of the best rides in the big XC field with him. And yes, he is looking pretty awkward right now ...

I clinic with Wolfgang Scherzer occasionally and he really is fantastic and very classically oriented with a definite emphasis on impulsion and getting the horse moving forward and into the bit. My first ride with him was spent getting my horse really moving - aerobics didn't have anything on that workout!

I was supposed to ride with him in September, but the clinic got cancelled due to nasty weather. I'm really looking forward to my next ride with him in November. I think he is based out of Alabama, but he does do clinics in Florida, or at least in North Florida, where I am, every couple of months.

Here is his website. http://www.wolfgangscherzer.com/

Wolfgang is in Birmingham, Al

I would recommend Lynne Kimball-Davis who is in Loxahatchee, FL

her other details may be found here:
    http://wellington-wef.com/directory.html