The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Any Friday Night Lights series fans out there?

I really loved that show, and still haven't watched the final episode--soon. I thought it was wonderfully cast, written, directed, and acted, and am wondering if there are any other fans out there?

If so, are you a football fan? If not, did the football aspect turn you off? I'm wondering if there are FNL fans who wouldn't think of watching a game but who enjoyed the show. I love football and I have Texas relatives, so the show was a real winner for me, though if it hadn't been so well done I wouldn't have bothered-not a huge fan of network TV.

I find that I miss those characters-Coach Taylor, Landry, Buddy Garrity.

Anyone?
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE THEM.

1 members found this post helpful.

Totally loved it! One of my favorite shows, EVER. Tami Taylor was my favorite character, followed closely by "Coach". Never missed an episode! Wish it was still on As a result, I really like the new "Nashville" series, because "Tami" is "Rayna James".

Yes, I loved the series! I didn't start watching until maybe the 3rd season, so as a result, I ordered all of the seasons on DVD. Great series! And no, I'm not a big football fan, which is why it took me so long to actually watch it. I've since become a fan of college football, not sure if it had anything to do with the show or not. To the OP- watch the final episode. It's totally worth it!!

Also, just as the above poster mentioned, I do love "Nashville" now, and I love Rayna. Great role for her!
    "Life is too short to be a slave to the whims of others." -- RugBug, COTH

Our department motto is, "Clear eyes full hearts CAN'T LOSE!"

2 members found this post helpful.

This is cool- so glad to know of more fans. Tammy Taylor was superb, I agree, but I gotta say I really disliked Julie, though I felt her character was well-written. Such a whiney brat. And that baby girl Gracie Belle-wow, that was one ugly child Mr and I called her the Alien or ET, and we startled when she came on screen She' s probably a knockout these days.

I had saved the last 5 episodes to the DVR after we watched them, knowing that it was to be no more. And I recorded the finale and marked it to be saved. Or so I thought I was home sick recently and decided to watch those episodes, and even announced theatrically to DH that I was finally ready for The Dillon swansong. But I didn't have the finale Mustve erased it! Mr L to the rescue! He got us Roku for Xmas which includes FNL, so we watch tonight. Will Tammy take the college job? Will Eric follow her? That is one quality show, and I am glad they went out while the quality was still good.

Not so much a football fan, but definitely a Kyle Chandler fan! I loved Early Edition (where he received tomorrow's news today. Plus a mysterious cat!) Loved that show. On Friday Night Lights he was letter perfect, and the relationship with his TV wife was just so real.

I have all the seasons of FNL on DVD. One of the best series on network TV ever!
    Only one cat - must not be totally crazy yet!

lovey- I'm pretty sure the series finale never aired on TV, it's only on the DVD. Hopefully Roku will have that episode. It brings closure to everything.

Quick trivia- did you know that Kyle Chandler had a guest spot on the first (maybe second) season of Greys Anatomy where he got blown up??
    "Life is too short to be a slave to the whims of others." -- RugBug, COTH

Didn't know that! I kinda got the hots for him back in the early 90s when I spied him on a show called Homefront. Ooh, must see if Homefront is on the Roku

Quote Originally Posted by evenstar View Post
    Not so much a football fan, but definitely a Kyle Chandler fan! I loved Early Edition (where he received tomorrow's news today. Plus a mysterious cat!) Loved that show. On Friday Night Lights he was letter perfect, and the relationship with his TV wife was just so real.

I have all the seasons of FNL on DVD. One of the best series on network TV ever!
    Evenstar, I also thought his performance was spot on, especially when he was coaching. My brother, who emigrated to Texas in '76 for college and never left, is a coach of various sports, and Coach Taylor always reminded me of my brother.

And I LOVED Landry! And Matt and his dear grandma. I must go back and enjoy the whole series again from start to finish.

I love FNL! I just watched the whole series about a month ago, probably in record time. I am not a football fan, but my boyfriend thought I would like it and I became totally hooked. BTW I am pretty sure that my first husband was the inspiration for Tim Riggins" character =(

I am definitely not a football fan. Having heard for so long how wonderful this show was I finally decided about six months ago to borrow it from the library and I watched all five seasons over the course of about a month. I have to say it ranks with my all-time favorites. The writing, the acting, the story arcs (with the exception of the Landry/Tyra murder - yuck) were superb.

If you haven't seen the series finale, you are in for a treat. Have a kleenex or two handy.
    Founding member of the "I Miss bar.ka" clique
    Founding member of the "I Miss Pocket Trainer" clique

Ponygrandma and Sillyhorse, that's wonderful that despite the fact that you aren't football fans, you loved the series. That really speaks to the amazing writing and direction. I wonder what Peter Berg the director is up to these days?

I have put the finale on hold yet again now that I know I have it available
    I plan to watch the complete series again before we unveil the ending.
    Lone Star beer, Brisket, and Stevie Ray Vaughan seem appropriate accompaniments, ya think?

TEXAS FOREVER! (via Jersey)

Loved the show.
    But then, I'm a sucker for virtually any sports flick, too.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

I love FNL. One of my most favorite series ever (aside from Season 2, with that ridiculous Landry-kills-someone storyline that never should have happened). I have a TV crush on Matt Saracen. And kind of on Riggins too, in a want-to-save-the-beautiful-bad-boy sort of way.

I do like football, but I really don't think you have to be a football fan to watch the show. It's not a show about sports, it's a show about wonderful characters that jut happens to feature football every so often. It's just a damned good show. I have the first couple seasons on DVD but I want to get them all just for keeps for the future.

LOVED IT! I like football but I could take it or leave it. I loved the storyline, LOVED the music in the show, the way it was filmed....and, well, Tim Riggins....dreamy! (My husband would get a kick out of me watching it and commenting on Riggins....but then he didn't mind watching the show for Minka, and his other girlfriends LOL!)

It felt like a "real" show to me vs. watching some of the more ridiculous series that are on now.

I had no use for football until that well-scripted series. I started to actually understand the game and actually felt tension watching some of their games. My hat is off to the writers because, before this series, dramas that had sports just happened to have parts during which I could go make a sandwich.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

I loved that show! I think it was just to clean to last. I hope the seasons are available on DVD. I can add them to my Bones and Closer collections.

Quote Originally Posted by Maude View Post
    I loved that show! I think it was just to clean to last. I hope the seasons are available on DVD. I can add them to my Bones and Closer collections.
    I borrowed the DVDs from the library so yes, they are available. I plan to wait a while and watch again from beginning to end.

Quote Originally Posted by paulaedwina
    I started to actually understand the game and actually felt tension watching some of their games.
    Me, too!
    Founding member of the "I Miss bar.ka" clique
    Founding member of the "I Miss Pocket Trainer" clique

As a big football fan, I can tell you that the game scenes were very realistic, other than a few wonky play calls-as in, you're 3rd and long and you're going to call THAT play? But overall, it was the most realistic depiction of the game yet produced. Not that anyone other than football fans would care, but for me its kinda like watching horses in a movie - there's Kim Walnes on the Grey Goose jumping the Normandy bank-then the closeup cut to Melissa Gilbert jumping a 2'3"rail NO, you did not fool us!

Quote Originally Posted by janedoe726 View Post
    l
    Quick trivia- did you know that Kyle Chandler had a guest spot on the first (maybe second) season of Greys Anatomy where he got blown up??
    Yes! Noticed him right away!! I fell for him a long time ago. Unless my aging memory has really let me down, I'm pretty sure he was on some sort of war series as a young actor. There were a bunch of siblings, the oldest sister on "Sisters and Brothers" was in it as well, but for the life of me, I can't remember what it was called.

I am not a fan of football, but enjoyed the show. Tammy was my favorite, and I didn't like Julie much at all either.
    "You can't blame other people. You can't always say what happened wasn't my fault, and you know what? Even if you have an excuse, shut up. "Bruce Davidson Sr.