The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Going to Argentina this summer!

So I'm going to be a working student in Argentina at Rancho Pampa this summer and I'm stoked! The only issue is that it's their winter. Any suggestions for riding pants and jackets that would hold up in 20 degrees Fahrenheit? Jackets that are warm, but not too heavy and easy to ride in.

Thank you!

1 members found this post helpful.

I didn't think it got that cold? Are you sure that's not Celsius? I was there at the end of may (so the very end of fall) and while it was chilly at times and rainy, it definitely wasnt bad. I would think your typical winter clothes for TX with waterproof stuff would be plenty.

Also, I'm super jealous. You're going to have a blast!

Eta I know it's a big country but I'm pretty sure Rancho Pampa is near BA-which is where I was.

While I'm not sure if it gets down to 20 degrees Fahrrenheit in any part of BA Province, it definitely gets below 20 degrees Celsius. Plus it tends to be kind of a damp cold (and Argentines tend to be really wimpy about the cold). I would bring things for layering, like merino wool long underwear to put under your breeches on cold days and down vests for your upper body. Patagonia makes nice down vests and jackets that are warm yet amazingly light-weight (and easy to pack).

It doesn't hurt that they are also stylish, as Argentines tend to be fashion conscious and you will to want to look good.

You might want to look into thin merino wool socks that you can wear under your tall boots. In my experience Argentines tend to be more formal in their riding attire and go for breeches and tall boots for everyday riding.

I've had great luck with Icebreaker merino wool products. Light-weight yet warm, attractive, and easy to launder and quick drying (many Argentines don't have or don't use their dryers).

Pikeur makes the most wonderful winter breeches. Unlike most winter breeches, they look like "normal" breeches. They are lightweight, not bulky, wind proof & are lined with super warm microfleece. I don't think they're available in the US but you can find them from online tack stores in the UK & Europe. I think they're called softshell winter breeches or something like that. Have fun!

I was just there in October and it was fabulous!! I didn't think it got quite that cold there, but I like my Romfh winter breeches. Wndproof, water resistant, not hazmat suit looking,

Sounds like a fun adventure!

Someone on here was just a working student down there and had a blog that I started reading the other day. Drawing a blank on who it was though but hopefully they will chime in!

Found it! Hawks Nest is her name.
    http://workingstudentrp.blogspot.com.au/

P.
    Last edited by Polydor; Dec. 26, 2012 at 10:11 PM. Reason: found the name/link

Congratulations on what will surely be some of the best months of your life!

According the weather.com, the average highs and lows are almost identical to the average highs and lows you get in the winter in Houston.
    - Comparison of average highs
    - Comparison of average lows

Of course that doesn't factor in wind that you may experience there? I would expect the things you wear in winter in Houston will mostly be good. Maybe just bring more layers for more options? And lots of clothes as you may go through more than one "outfit" per day if you get sweaty or if you get rained on.

Agree Patagonia clothes are excellent.

20 degrees Fahrenheit? No way! I don't think there has ever been a day of 20 degrees Fahrenheit in Buenos Aires! You would be wise to study the area where you are going. Just look up average temperatures on the Weather Channel. It's respectful to learn the language and the culture of a place you are going before you get there, especially if you are going to be living and working there! (This includes understanding the difference between Fahrenheit and Celsius.)

As far as winter, (our summer) this is part of their major horse show season as it is too hot in the summer for people to show and most people leave the city and go the beaches.

I know Rancho Pampa well, it's a nice place with lots of nice horses!
    "A good horse and a good rider are only so in mutual trust."
    -H.M.E.

I have been talking to a working student that has been there before, and she said the coldest it got was -4 Celsius in the morning. I'll be out and about by 6:30-7am and that's the coldest part of the day. So anyways, please keep the clothes suggestions coming! Thanks!

The average low in July, their coldest month, is 46 degrees Fahrenheit, about 8 degrees Celsius. Nowhere near 20 Fahrenheit! The coldest recorded temperature ever in Buenos Aires is 22 degrees Fahrenheit in 1918. The climate there is very similar to Houston, so whatever your winter is like is pretty much how it is there. I've been to Buenos Aires (and Rancho Pampa) many, many times, it's a very temperate climate, so winters can be chilly, but not 20 Fahrenheit! Maybe because you are coming from a warm climate you don't exactly understand what 20 Fahrenheit actually is...(or your friend!)
    Last edited by Horseymama; Dec. 27, 2012 at 01:01 AM. Reason: spelling
    "A good horse and a good rider are only so in mutual trust."
    -H.M.E.

I have family there and it gets chilly but never THAT cold. 20 degrees F? No way Jose!
    I'd bring some warm clothes for sure but don't over pile them cause chances are you won't need them very much. In the AM's, yes, but you'll be shedding any layers you have by the time the hot southern sun comes up!

Waves to Horseymama - you need to come back and visit soon!

And actually, it does get down to the high 20s on the coldest days first thing in the morning. And it's DAMP cold so it feels even colder. It's not awful weather by any means but we do get quite a bit of frost in the mornings here.

You'll want to bring layers. Lots of layers. You won't need heavy winter coats but I would recommend long sleeve shirts, vests and medium weight jackets (usually by later afternoon, you might be in long sleeves and a vest). And gloves.

No snow but winter will be damp and cold.

ETA: And for those interested, this is the blog of one of of our current WS who has been with us since last May and will be staying until late April.
    http://inargentinaatranchopampa.blogspot.com.ar/

And another of one of our WS who came down from Canada for 3 months.
    http://3monthsinargentina.blogspot.com.ar
    Last edited by nycjumper; Dec. 27, 2012 at 10:51 AM.
    Visit us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/ranchopampa or our website at www.ranchopampa.com