The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Choke

My poor guy is choking on his feed right now. I gave him some ace to try and relax him. Also massaged his neck a lot. It is not passing. Any other ideas to help him until the vet gets here? The vet has 1 more call, but the roads are really bad right now so I don't know how long he will be.

You are doing the right thing by sedating and waiting. Having his head low and keeping him relaxed may even help him resolve it on his own.

Jingling for a quick recovery!
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Will he take a drink? Can you persuade him to lower his head?

My old guy choked once (fortunately only that one time) and he got the mass moved by lowering his head and coughing. And I massaged his neck, too.

Hope the vet comes quickly and your horse is comfortable soon!

Can you feel the mass? Check at the base of his neck where it meets his chest and try messaging there. A friends horse had it lodged way down low there and we got it moving once we discovered where it was. Jingling, and report back!
    "Imma snap youuuu! - with a shout out to Wildlifer

He hasn't drank anything, and it has been going on long enough that I don't think it will resolve itself. I am not sure how long to wait on it though. The ace has always worked on other chokes in the past. I gave him a few syringes of oil but that didn't do anything. He is standing with his head kind of low. Better then earlier, he was a little stressed about the situation and wouldn't relax.

Thanks for the advice!

I think the mass is a little past midway down his neck. Not 100% sure though. I will keep massaging.

Sounds like you are doing the right things. Choke is no fun at all. After my mare choked for the third time this fall she is now on a mush diet as each time they choke and need to be tubed causes scarring making it more likely the horse will choke again also making each choke harder to break up.

Don't put anything in his mouth. No water, no oil, no nothing. Keep him sedated and give banamine if you have some.

3 members found this post helpful.

Keep him quiet, give banamine and ace and massage the left side of the neck.

NEVER, EVER give anything by mouth with a choke. EVER. Especially oil. Pretty much guaranteed an aspiration pneumonia. Be sure to tell the vet you did that... I would want the horse on antibiotics for that right there, never mind the potential material coming up from the choke.

1 members found this post helpful.

Keep him quiet until the vet gets there, hopefully it won't be too long.

From now on, soak his grain into a mushy slop to hopefully prevent him from choking again.
    "People ask me 'will I remember them if I make it'. I ask them 'will you remember me if I don't?'"

1 members found this post helpful.

The mass was too far down in his chest for me to be able to do anything. Vet had to tube him last night. He is on antibiotics and some banamine. He is much happier now, poor guy was so stressed out. Vet thinks he should be alright with the little bit of oil he got, just have to watch him closely. He also recommended giving him another tetanus shot just to be safe.

Glad to hear he is doing better. Scary for both of you.

Choke is scary! My gelding will take off running through the paddock when he cokes. Then he throws himself down on the ground. He and my other two are all on mush diets because at one point or another, they've all experienced coke.

I didn't get how scary it was until I had an esophageal spasm myself.

Yes it is very stressful for the poor things. I had a younger one that would choke on any pelleted feed. He was ok on sweet feed. Once he started choking he would stress out and break out in a sweat before I could even get any ace in him. He always cleared up with a dose of ace and banamine. I think he choked 3 times on me and then I switched him to a sweet feed and he was fine after that.