The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I go local whenever I can. I shun Walmart even if I have to pay more - even though I can't afford to pay more - I try to consume less.
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

1 members found this post helpful.

I am torn. I have a local mechanic and buy my feed from a small-time producer, way cheaper than the big brands and my horses look great. I used to buy from the local feed store but their prices were unfreakingbelievable. Sometimes I will still pick up odd items.... But they charge the same for a 40lb bag of alfalfa cubes that the Southern States across town does for a 50lb bag. Which is about $2 more than Tractor Supply 30 minutes away.

And I used to feel bad about it. I even, regretfully, mentioned to the owner that I had started getting bedding 45 minutes away at another (but slightly larger) local store because it was about $1.50 less per bag--exact same product. They shook their head and said they could not compete with their pricing. THEN a Tractor Supply started going up about 1/2 mile from the local feed store. And the next time I needed some bedding in pinch, the price had dropped $1/bag. And TSC isn't even open yet. So clearly there is at least a dollar they could shave off. Do they think folks will forget they gouged prices for years while they were the only game in town? Sheesh.

Jennifer

Auto? Our local mechanics handles the normal vehicles, my Audi goes to a locally owned specialty shop.
    Groceries? Locally owned shop for most things, have to hit Publix for anything remotely fancy.
    Feed? Local shop
    Tack? Local shop always: She'll order it if she doesn't have it
    Dinner out? 100% local, we're too far from any chains to fool with that and I ate enough Longhorn and Outback when I traveled that I need never eat there again
    Clothes? Impossible to go local on that, unless I spend half a day and a fortune on organic hemp raised by literate age appropriate pacifists. I make very modest efforts to buy US made.
    I don't think I buy anything else? hmm....

Wine from local vineyards.
    It's amazing how many of them are in the area.
    Most of them even offer 'taste testing' .

There are also micro breweries in town.

Heck, all the bourbons and whiskeys are from around here.
    And yes, they too let you taste their products when you do a tour.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    Yup - I agree COMPLETELY. Local businesses whine & want the business, but when they close up at 5 p.m. it's just too bad if they don't realize that the rest of the world doesn't stop then as well. Same for local restaurants. Many close uber early, & if we want to have dinner after a movie or another event, frequently a chain is our only option.
    Thankfully in the small town I live in, there are two good (by good I mean tasty, not fancy) restaurants across the street from one another that sort of run opposite shifts. One of them is a coffee shop that also does breakfast/brunch/lunch, and the other does lunch through late dinner, and is also a bar. There are also a few other Mom and Pop restaurants with various hours, and a pizza place which is part of a pretty small chain. We don't eat out much, but when we do, we generally have dinner at the bar and grill here in town.

I drive a couple of towns over to buy my beer directly from the brewery (New Glarus).

There are plenty of places to buy locally made cheese here in WI, and some of them are just wonderful.

I'm a CSA member, so I pick up boxes of in-season fresh produce from a farm a few miles away.

Eggs I get from the neighbor on one side, hay I buy from the neighbor on the other.

For Christmas I knit gifts for a lot of people, and a good portion of my yarn came from a local mill that gets most of their wool from local sheep.

We also have a fantastic independant mechanic with a shop a few towns over that we use.

The feed store I use is independant and local, though a fair number of the products they sell are not. The multivitamin my horses eat was developed by a local vet, though, and it's kind of a regional thing. And my mares are easy keepers, so they usually get just a little handful of plain oats or alfalfa pellets to get them to eat their vitamins.

The grocery store I use is regional. They have 15 stores, mostly in WI.

Sometimes I get things from local bakeries or butcher shops, but I'm not that consistant about it. If I had more freezer space, I'd buy a meat share or something, since there are some farms that do that, but I just have nowhere to store it.

We bought a new heating element for our oven from the local appliance shop a few weeks ago.

I also use the pharmacy here in town, which is not part of a large chain. The gym is also independantly owned.

I can't really buy tack locally, though. There are a few tiny shops that I can pick up some basic stuff at, but there really isn't much.

And I'm really not a big shopper most of the time. Non-riding clothes I usually get from Goodwill, but some things like shoes, underpants, and socks I do buy new from places like Shopko or Target.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

I have lived in a small town for the last 14 years. I have used the same Garage, Oil change place, Video store, Tanning Salon, Butcher shop, Hair Salon.
    There used to be a small grocery store but they closed as they were surrounded by a Meijer and a Walmart. I hate Walmart, it always feels weird in those stores! I think it is the lighting.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

I did a lot of knitting for Christmas presents and with the exception of two items, all the yarn came from two local yarn stores. I try to buy as much from them as possible.

I try to only get coffee drinks from the really good local coffee shop, not Starbucks. It isn't super close, so I don't get there that often but that is better for my waist!

I try to go to locally owned restaurants as much as possible, but my favorite restaurant is a chain, though a local to our area chain.

I waited three months to buy new paddock boots so I could try them on at our local-ish tack store, rather than ordering from Smartpak (though I do use Smartpak for other things).

My car gets fixed by a wonderful local mechanic and get my oil changed there as well, and I recommend his shop to everyone I know. Honest, honest, honest!

I don't have a car.

All of the big box stores are on the periphery and outskirts of town. Easily accessible by highway and therefore cars. So if I want to go to somewhere like The Container Store I have to have time to sit for 2 hours on the bus. Ick.

So instead I stay within roughly a five to ten mile radius of the apartment I share with my boyfriend. I am very lucky that I live in Austin, TX and local is the name of the game here (how they let them build a Chipotle is a mystery to me ) not to mention the "Go Texan" program. So awesome local restaurants and stores abound and I am more than happy to patronize them. I also do a lot of shopping at the farmer's markets.

The more I learn about how shopping local affects the immediate economy the more I think it is an awesome thing.

2 members found this post helpful.

1/4 of a beef steer from neighborning farm.
    Local feed mill for horse feed, dog food and cat food
    Local tack shop for anything else. They are AMAZING and will order anything needed.
    Independently owned liquor store for Dogfish Head beer!
    Independently owned pharmacy.
    Independently owned hardware store x2.
    Local coffee roastery

As a local farm business owner, thank you ALL who make the effort. Every dollar you spend on a local business is well appreciated.
    Alison Howard
    Homestead Farms, Maryland www.freshorganicvegetables.com

I use the grocery store in my town which cost a little more than driving up to the city but I value that they are there. We have a terrific clothing store and if I need something "not horse related" I go there first before going to a large department store. It's kind of fun there because they carry things that aren't found in the chain stores like Macy's etc. I love my hardware store, love it!!! The men in there are fabulous and I always buy something extra to support the store.

You guys are good.
    I would love to buy "local" more, but the prices are just outrageous. When I'm at my grocery store (regional chain) I am careful to buy local produce tho. Their produce / bread are literally 1/2 price, even 1/3 price, compared to the farmer's market or even my local grocer, and don't necessarily taste better. The bread especially! I have a local bakery right around the corner from my house, but never go there. WAY overpriced and not even that good. The fresh-baked bread at the grocery store is MUCH better!
    *sigh*

Same thing for clothing / tack / books etc.
    I still buy a lot online, but I think that's mostly because I hate shopping.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

I was just thinking of this the other day, pondering what will happen if our taxes go up substantially. Most of our disposable income goes to local small businesses: the dog walker, the cleaning lady, the barn/trainer, son's fencing lessons, produce and meat from local farms that costs more than the supermarket...the list is long. If our taxes go up as much as I'm estimating they could if we just fall off the "cliff" and do nothing, quite a bit of that optional spending will have to go. I'm sure we're not the only ones like this.

Quote Originally Posted by sophie View Post
    I would love to buy "local" more, but the prices are just outrageous.
    That's really too bad. I'm very fortunate that many of the businesses which are local to me are not outlandishly priced.

The bakeries here do tend to be pricey, but at least we have a few that are really good, so that makes it worthwhile to splurge once in a while.

But the mechanic we use charges literally half of what the dealership does, and he's way more conscientious, helpful and ethical. My co-pay is the same regardless of which pharmacy I use, and the pharmacists at the local one are wonderful. The bar and grill is very reasonably priced. Our health insurance reimburses us for $200 of the cost of the CSA, which makes that produce very affordable as well. And my eggs are usually free, since the neighbor gets way more than what she can use, though I do help her out with her livestock from time to time.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland