The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Blankets with "cutback" styling at the withers?

Doesn't anyone make this style of blanket anymore? It looks like State Line and Schneiders might, but some of the higher end blankets like Triple Crown and The Clothes Horse don't offer this option?

My horse has a lot of blankets. A LOT. Too many, really. It's a bit of an addiction on my part. It's an ironic addiction, because he really hates wearing blankets (but he must wear them, because he is in full work and clipped). For a lot of reasons, I really prefer for him to wear a stable blanket inside and then a turnout blanket over the top of that for turnout.

Although my horse hates nearly every blanket he owns, one blanket has emerged as an unmatched winner in his eyes: a very old Triple Crown stable blanket with a cutback wither area, circa 1996. It belonged to one of my past horses.

Anyway, I have looked at Triple Crown's website, and it appears they don't make any cutback wither style blankets anymore? Whatever is a fellow with discriminating taste and a sensitive wither to do?

Suggestions please.

I really like Schneider's line of Storm Shield blankets. Both of my guys are in various models that fit them perfectly. Ancient TB mare wears the Euro style and Arab gelding wears the New Britton. Both have the V-Free wither, but aren't the cutback styles (neither needs that). They have third style with a cutback wither.

Mare wears one of the inexpensive blanket liners that was $30-40 from Schneiders as a stable blanket, then wears either a sheet or midweight over it making the whole thing be either a midweight or heavyweight.

Gelding wears just the midweight New Britton as he's younger and has more access to shelter at the farm where he lives.

Quote Originally Posted by candysgirl View Post
    I really like Schneider's line of Storm Shield blankets. Both of my guys are in various models that fit them perfectly. Ancient TB mare wears the Euro style and Arab gelding wears the New Britton. Both have the V-Free wither, but aren't the cutback styles (neither needs that). They have third style with a cutback wither.

Mare wears one of the inexpensive blanket liners that was $30-40 from Schneiders as a stable blanket, then wears either a sheet or midweight over it making the whole thing be either a midweight or heavyweight.

Gelding wears just the midweight New Britton as he's younger and has more access to shelter at the farm where he lives.
    Unfortunately, the v-free wither relief fly sheet this horse has rubbed the absolute SNOT out of the top of his wither. He actually has white hair there now from that stupid fly sheet. And both of his Schneiders fly sheets rubbed his shoulders badly. I'm not sure I'm willing to try another Schneiders blanket, even if it does have cutback withers.

The thing is, his withers are not really all that prominent. I mean, he is not shark finned or anything. I can ride him bareback comfortably. I'm not sure why all of his blankets of all different styles seem to press on him there. He does well in high neck blankets for turnout (think Wug style), but I'm looking for more options for inside, and he has selected the cutback style. Most likely because it is hard to find and he likes to torture me.

I have a horse with sensitive withers, who is also not shark finned or particularly 'withery' but has problems fitting blankets in general. I think its because he has very large shoulders and a very large round apple butt. Blankets always seem to fit very well at a stand still, but as he walks his large shoulders and big butt pull fabric down and backwards, eventually cinching everything down over his withers.

I too have way more blankets than he needs, but its actually a bit of a good thing given he's so sensitive. If weather dictates he'll be wearing clothing for multiple days in a row, I find rotating through his collection every 2 days keeps him from getting sore in a particular spot.

I tried a Vfree Schneiders blanket on him and there was no way I could adjust it so his withers had relief. I tried the Schneiders cut back, and while it did actually lay behind his withers nicely, again when he roamed around the motion of his shoulders pulled the fabric down so the blanket ended up jamming up behind his withers and he became slightly sore there. Also did almost nothing for protection from rain, it just poured down his neck and soaked his shoulders.

If your horse likes a cut back however, I can say that the Schneiders cut back blanket is nicely made, has a broad cut as its meant for round breeds like Morgans and gave my horse a lot of shoulder freedom. They also have a very good return policy and great customer service.

For my horse I end up modifying the neck opening with darts so the blanket sits on his neck and tents over his withers. I haven't perfected the technique yet however.
    Just because you’re afraid, doesn’t mean you’re in danger. Just because you feel alone, doesn’t mean nobody loves you. Just because you think you might fail, doesn’t mean you will.

Buck22 - yes, I think that is kind of what happens with my horse. While I don't really think of him as particularly big butted or big shouldered, for whatever reason pretty much every blanket he owns gets pulled back and down on him. All different brands, all different styles. It is like the blankets are attempting to drag him to the ground, butt first!

He's actually a TB, and I would describe his build as quite average. He is a bit more of an "old style" TB, but you don't look at him and automatically think "wow, how do they ever find blankets to fit that one?" Several people have asked me if he is a QH or an Appendix, though...so perhaps I am underestimating his butt, lol.

I currently do pretty much what you do - rotate through his blanket collection all winter. It is just so obvious that he prefers the old Triple Crown with the cutback withers. He really doesn't snark at all about getting that one put on, whereas the others incite some degree of rage each time. Who knows, though...perhaps over time, he would come to dislike that blanket as well.

He's just kind of a sensitive sort in general. I have to rotate through my girths as well. And, truth be told, I think he prefers it when I rotate between two different saddles. He's particular about saddle pads, has to wear a sheepskin crown piece on his turnout halter because he gets rubbed raw...

So, in summary, he is a chestnut TB gelding. LOL.

Have you tried adjusting the top buckle in front very loosely and the bottom buckle tightly? The loose top one gives relief to the withers, and the tight bottom one keeps the blanket from sliding back.
    friend of bar.ka

Quote Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
    Have you tried adjusting the top buckle in front very loosely and the bottom buckle tightly? The loose top one gives relief to the withers, and the tight bottom one keeps the blanket from sliding back.
    I actually have tried this - along with nearly every other possible front buckle configuration possible! No such luck!

Radon
    www.radoninc.com
    Designed with Saddlebreds/Arabians/Morgans in mind they fit well on horses with higher withers, higher set necks, or higher set tails.

1 members found this post helpful.

My liver chestnut likes when I used every piece of tack I own as well When he was still being ridden I had several girths, quite a few saddles, just about every therapeutic pad made, and used them all. It actually makes a great deal of sense for a sensitive horse. Frequently changing tack eliminates ever really establishing one specific pressure spot.

I have found that the lining makes a big difference too. No-fill sheets with mesh lining, like some pessoas, seem to minimize the cinching. The outer shell floats better. I love the snuggly fleece lined sheets, but they seem to be the worst offenders as his coat really grabs the fleece and pulls it down. The horze avalanche high neck design and extra high shoulder darts help offset the cinching effect though. I don't think its so much the high neck design itself, but more that there isn't heavy binding tape and wither fleece right in a sensitive spot.

My BO just got some new Weathabeeters Oricans that have foam inserts on either side of the wither. It still seemed to sit down on her horse's withers though, but I thought the idea was really neat. I've been pondering how to sew in a wither bridge of some kind, darts is the best I can come up with so far. One thing I didn't like about the new Oricans is the shoulder darts are really low, causing the blanket to be pulled really hard across the shoulders. Nice blanket otherwise though, really nice fabric.
    Just because you’re afraid, doesn’t mean you’re in danger. Just because you feel alone, doesn’t mean nobody loves you. Just because you think you might fail, doesn’t mean you will.

I would recommend Kensington blankets, they have a traditional cut that my horse gives his stamp of approval on. The other blanket line that are cutback or traditional cuts are big d. They have wonderful stable blankets, very good quality. I have seen some Weaver blankets too that are cut back. Seems like they are a bit more popular in the western side of the horse world.

Don't feel bad, I have 9 blankets for one horse. And right now, he has a tendon injury so he isn't getting blanketed at all. I figured since we are handwalking for the winter we may as well go all natural. So those blankets are getting a rest for the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Saddith View Post
    I would recommend Kensington blankets, they have a traditional cut that my horse gives his stamp of approval on. The other blanket line that are cutback or traditional cuts are big d. They have wonderful stable blankets, very good quality. I have seen some Weaver blankets too that are cut back. Seems like they are a bit more popular in the western side of the horse world.

Don't feel bad, I have 9 blankets for one horse. And right now, he has a tendon injury so he isn't getting blanketed at all. I figured since we are handwalking for the winter we may as well go all natural. So those blankets are getting a rest for the season.
    Ummm...I have more than 20 blankets for one horse...I definitely have a problem! Thank you for the ideas - I will check those out. Also, sorry about your horse. When I was rehabbing a suspensory on my horse, I also left him wooly and naked all winter. He loved it!

Quote Originally Posted by FineAlready View Post
    Ummm...I have more than 20 blankets for one horse...I definitely have a problem! Thank you for the ideas - I will check those out. Also, sorry about your horse. When I was rehabbing a suspensory on my horse, I also left him wooly and naked all winter. He loved it!
    Believe me, it hurt but I had to par it down to 9. So I totally understand your addiction! But so far, the Kensington traditional cut roustabout has been the best fitting for him. It is a bit heavier, so I can only use it during the real winter here in CA! Look around for a sale from Dover or another site because they are a bit pricey. I think they are worth the money, and the customer service is wonderful too. Oh, and they have a great warranty on the blanket as well, you can return it and only pay half price for a brand new one. They donate your old one to charity!

Yeah, the tendon thing is a real downer, but it is really helping us to bond right now. Guess I should have been spending more time with my horse before this!