The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Tricking out the trailer

I recently got a new (to me) 3H slant Merhow with a dressing room. It's a basic, no frills model and I'd love some input from eventers who have built out there DR themselves.
    I'd like a small shelf to put the microwave and mini fridge and some hooks and racks on one wall to hang a saddle rack (the back collapsible tack area gets really dusty!)
    Is it better to carry water in the DR or should I get the tank that fits in the truck bed?
    What's the cheapest way to insulate it?
    Any suggestions for placement or other ideas are welcome - there isn't much space, I think its about 7.5x7 wide.
    Thanks very much!
    Susan

I can't speak as to converting anything to LQ, but I am an organization freak. I just installed a 2' x 6' wire grid panel (see link below) on my trailer wall to hang things in the trailer. You can order them online, have them shipped for free to your local Staples store, and pick them up. Very easy to install, and now I have tons of hanging space! You could definitely hang a saddle rack on it, the black ones that go over the stall front, at least. You can also buy accessories like baskets and hooks for quite cheap from Staples as well.

Wire Grids

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks DC - that's helpful! I had seen some wire racks like that at a trailer shop online, but shipping was insanely expensive.
    Did you need brackets or any kind of special support on the trailer wall when you hung these? Don't want to damage the wall if they aren't strong enough to support a couple of saddles.

You can also try checking here: http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/for...egory-view.asp

I've found that forum very helpful for specific trailer questions, and there are lots of posts regarding DR conversions.

If the DR already has carpet in it, rip it out! If it doesn't, don't put any in. Rubber mats! You can always put throw rugs down. I just have a "welcome" mat by the door.

Don't know if you remember what I have in mine, but it's pretty much the way I want it right now. I took the saddle rack out of the back tack compartment, and I leave it in the DR because I like everything right there together. And yes, you're correct, the back tack compartment is filthy. Back tack is where I keep water. For now I just have a couple of 5 gal. containers (got them at the army-navy store), but eventually I'd like to get one of the tall ones that fit in the corner.

I have a tack box (stores wraps, saddle pads, braiding kit, and the list goes on!) that is bolted to the front wall. It also serves as a step to get up in the goose neck. Oh, and speaking of goose neck, I have a mattress in mine which I no longer use. Whether you have a mattress, or just use it as storage be sure to put carpet down so stuff doesn't fly off of it.

On the side wall, I have a cabinet on the floor. It did have one above it also, but we took that out and put up a steel bar clothes hanger.

Maybe we'll see each other soon, and you can take a look at mine
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

IMHO a water tank is a must have, but if you do get one, I highly recommend having a water pump installed as well. It makes it easy to rinse off my horse if I am somewhere that doesn't have washracks. The pump makes a huge difference in the water pressure. My tank is in the back corner of my DR, but I have a GN so I have a lot of storage space.

The nice thing about tanks is they come in different sizes/configurations so it should be easy to find one that fits the space you have.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

2 members found this post helpful.

Jenm, do you know how much the water pump costs? Is it fixed or mobile? I mean, could I store the water tank and pump in the back tack area?

Lisa - it has carpet lined in it already. I was thinking it would make it a bit warmer (I am a huge wuss about being cold!) Do you use a space heater in yours when you go somewhere? I vaguely remember the configuration you have but would like to look again (mid Jan, maybe?)

Will check Trailerworld forum for suggestions. The price for professionally installed insulation was pretty high, so I'd like to do it myself.

I don't sleep in mine any more, so don't worry too much about it being cold. The walls are panelled, and the ceiling had pressed board added, so that probably helps a little. The carpet just got so gross after several years I couldn't stand it any longer. Unless your carpet has a really good pad underneath, I doubt if it's any warmer than the rubber mats. We cut stall mats to fit, so they're 1/2" thick.

I don't have electrical, but I did use a little space heater once when I went to a clinic and knew I could park close to their barn (for an outlet).
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Quote Originally Posted by TBFAN View Post
    Thanks DC - that's helpful! I had seen some wire racks like that at a trailer shop online, but shipping was insanely expensive.
    Did you need brackets or any kind of special support on the trailer wall when you hung these? Don't want to damage the wall if they aren't strong enough to support a couple of saddles.
    You need to buy the brackets for mounting, also sold by Staples. They come five to a pack and cost under $10 for a pack, I believe. They give you about two inches of clearance from the wall to the grid. Using four sheet metal screws (bought at Lowe's or Home Depot) per bracket gives you quite a bit of security. I have no doubt that the grid could hold a saddle rack or two.

I have carpet in my trailer tack room, which I like. I just keep an older bath towel on the floor that I can easily shake out...much easier than a heavier area rug. Once or twice a year I'll take the shop vac to the carpet. 5 years old and I haul a LOT, plus tack up out of my trailer tack room every day when at home. I am in and out of that thing 10-15 times a day every day. I also keep a boot brush/scraper by the cheap step stool I use to get into and out of the trailer. Put in as many bridle racks as you can fit. I have one set up high and a second one half way down the long wall with 2 more on the other two walls. Extra saddle racks if there is space above/below the existing ones. 2 Rubber Maid 4 drawer plastic chest of drawers. Clothes rack.

Those metal grids are sold by a lot of companies online. They are used in stores and at trade shows. Their price from a manufacturing company is a lot cheaper, but I did have to pay shipping. Depending on how many you get, it might be cheaper to pay shipping.

The place I got mine (I forget now) had them in white, chrome and black and in every conceivable size. I use them for everything in my tackroom and wash/grooming stall in the barn; do not know how I ever lived without them.

I also bought a variety of hooks (they come from 2" to14"). I store girths, bits, lunglines, halters -- you name it. I also bought a variety of baskets. Great for brushes/grooming stuff because dirt/water drops right through -- you never have a dirty shelf to clean off. They would also be great for bandages/boots/wraps. The shallow baskets are good for gloves, hairnets, spurs etc.
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helpus View Post
    Those metal grids are sold by a lot of companies online. They are used in stores and at trade shows. Their price from a manufacturing company is a lot cheaper, but I did have to pay shipping. Depending on how many you get, it might be cheaper to pay shipping.

The place I got mine (I forget now) had them in white, chrome and black and in every conceivable size.
    Exactly this. I just bought mine from Staples because they shipped it for free to a local store and I could pick it up. I also only needed one. But yes, you can buy them many places online. Staples isn't expensive, but many of the manufacturing places are definitely a bit cheaper.

I got several rubber mats(meant for the back of an suv) and put them on the floor of my dressing room. They cover almost the whole floor and when I pull them up to clean, my carpet is still in like new condition. I also have a smallish rag rug that I put at the door and this covers the main walking area of the dressing room. I just pull it up and shake it out to get the main amount of dirt out.

I love the carpet in my dressing room -- but most of it is covered so it still looks new and I have a cheap bath mat in the doorway. I put up a grid from Organized Barn and Trailer (google it) to add saddle racks and a few hooks, LOVE it.

Quote Originally Posted by wildlifer View Post
    I love the carpet in my dressing room -- but most of it is covered so it still looks new and I have a cheap bath mat in the doorway. I put up a grid from Organized Barn and Trailer (google it) to add saddle racks and a few hooks, LOVE it.
    The grids on that website are the same as the ones from Staples/others online. I'd advise you buy the grids from a source other than the Organized Barn site, as they are highly marked up there. Good place to look at the pictures for idea though, that's where I got the idea of mounting my own grid in the first place.

I do not have carpeting on my dressing room floor, but it is on the "wall and sleeping area".

That way, when stuff spills/you put yukky wet stuff inside the dressing room, the mats just get swept and spills wiped up.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Comedy View Post
    The grids on that website are the same as the ones from Staples/others online. I'd advise you buy the grids from a source other than the Organized Barn site, as they are highly marked up there. Good place to look at the pictures for idea though, that's where I got the idea of mounting my own grid in the first place.
    This is true -- but it was a gift, so I did not protest too much, hee. Building it myself, I totally agree with you!

I had ski-boat carpet added to the wall behind the bridle racks. Did it to muffle the sounds of bits and other metal items banging on the wall. Discovered after that ski boat carpet functions as the loopy side of velcro, so I can sticky anything with velcro directly to the wall :-) Great for horse boots, gloves, medical armband, etc.

My trailer is 7'3" tall. I'm 5'3" tall. So I have a shelf over about half the dressing room, supported by the top framing member. Up go the jack, road triangles, extra blankets and wraps, hose, tool box, etc. out of the way. Clothes rod spans the width of the dressing room (again supported by the top frame) for clothes on hangers, and also a nice place to hang used saddle pads to dry overnight or on the drive home. Have a freestanding closet organizer of wire baskets in the far corner, which holds sheets, wraps, towels, more towels, snaps (clipped to the fronts of the drawers).

Back to school sales are a great place to find little organizers, sold for lockers. My trailer is steel so they stick right to the door. Also a mini marker board. On another stretch of wall I have half of one of those over-the-door shoe organizers--12 handy little pockets with mesh fronts that keep everything from girth extenders and socks to peppermints in easy reach.

Best sleeping in a gooseneck award goes to my friend's old trailer. Her husband put 6" of high density foam over the whole peak area, covered with a low-pile carpet. We'd occasionally argue over who got to sleep in the trailer and who 'had' to go to a motel, that's how comfy it was.

Easiest bet for DIY insulation is the silver-&-plastic-bubble sheet stuff (http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies...3a_103860.html). Cut to size and attach with double stick carpet tape.

4 members found this post helpful.

You can stuff a twin sized 4" memory foam matteress in a rubermade tub - best sleeping anywhere!

If your dressing room is uninsulated you can go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy 4x8' sheets of foam insulation, sized about 1/2" to 3/4" thick. They are easy to cut with a carpet knife to fit between the vertical struts on the walls; duct tape or similar can hold them in. You could hang your organizer grids over them. Even if you aren't going to sleep but are going to change in the DR and maybe hang out, they make a big difference in both hot and cold weather.

I don't know if yours is steel or aluminum but if it's steel you can buy strong magnets at Lowes or HD to easily hang up printed schedules, phone #s, your contact and insurance info, diagrams, etc., on any convenient wall space.

I agree that the tall water cooler in the back tack room works great. it's also not in the way in the bed of your truck if you use that for anything else. And it comes with a hose that hooks up near the bottom so it makes draining it easy when weather gets near freezing or you just want to put fresh water in. I also use the TR for all my feed, manure fork, buckets, etc.

If you have a door from the DR to the horse area, you can clean out the horse area when you get where you're going and put a little porta-potty in the horse area for those nervous pees, at night or when you're in a rush. Check out the "Luggable Loo" at Amazon.com - trash bag and kitty litter and you're in business. Easy to dispose of!
    It's just grass and water till it hits the ground.