The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Anybody familiar with Broken Heart Animal Rescue/CJ Rawls in Austin Tx.???

Is there anyone on here that has any knowledge of this rescue or the woman, CJ Rawls around Austin, Tx. She is interested in two of my broodmares and a Google search didn't turn up anything. I know COTHers "know" everything and everybody!! PM me if you'd rather. Thanks a bunch.
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Why would a rescue want broodmares?????
    That would be my first question.

Secondly, rescues aren't "interested" in horses, they have enough coming in without looking for any.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

21 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytbs View Post

Secondly, rescues aren't "interested" in horses, they have enough coming in without looking for any.
    I wish I could click the little thumb thing many, many times for this statement.
    Sheilah

3 members found this post helpful.

That was my first thought too. I have never heard of a rescue looking for horses. Ever.

Until proven otherwise, I'm guessing it's a breeder/broker masquerading as a rescue.

Facebook page with basically nothing: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Broke...53914807981090

http://www.pupcity.com/shelters/tx999/

http://www.nonprofitfacts.com/TX/Bro...al-Rescue.html
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

1 members found this post helpful.

Found a web page!

http://brokenheartsanimal.com/

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    That may be a different place. The people have different names and although it does not list a location that I can see, it says their vet is in Utah.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytbs View Post

Exactly! Why don't you PM cowgirljenn. She's not real close, but close enough that I'd think she'd know about them (if they're legit).
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

No no no no no no. Just run away now. When a rescue "looks" for horses, especially broodmares I am ALWAYS skeptical. It's possible she might want your mare for her personal use and is using the rescue's name to get it free. The website LauraKY found has only 3 dogs available for adoption. I don't know ANY LEGIT rescue that has only 3 dogs. 13 MAYBE, but not 3.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

The info I pulled up seems to show her daughter as being in charge of the "rescue". This woman apparently wants my big TB mare and a big homozygous APHA mare to breed western show/performance horses. She "supposedly" is getting away from the rescue due to the stress of idiots neglecting their animals and expecting some else to step in and save them. Lot of that in Texas from what I see!! We've talked several times and she seems nice enough...I just don't need to get rid of my beloved mares badly enough to send them to a bad place!!!
    I DID think of asking Jenn. She may know something that is not public knowledge. Thanks guys.
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

I haven't heard of her, and Austin isn't that far. We have a lot of members and volunteers around Austin and no one has mentioned them to me either.
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

Quote Originally Posted by cowgirljenn View Post
    I haven't heard of her, and Austin isn't that far. We have a lot of members and volunteers around Austin and no one has mentioned them to me either.
    Is that good news or bad????

I don't think it is great news. I normally hear of the rescues around - sometimes because they want our help, sometimes because someone I run into has volunteered for or adopted from them before. I guess the good thing is that I haven't heard anything bad.

I'm going to send you a few ideas tomorrow to check her out. (Saw you sent a message but can't answer it easily from my phone).
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

Thanks Jenn. You can PM me here if it is easier. I'm not rushing into any situation I'm not sure of. Too many horror stories about bad mistakes people have made. JB

Default Reply to people who do not even know me

My name is Julie Rawls but no one uses or knows me by my legal name Julie, I go by CJ and I am the founder and president of Broken Heart Animal Rescue. I started ths rescue after I got back from Katrina. I only did Rottweilers for a few years and then started rescueing horses and ferrets. I broke my neck for the second time in August of 2009. A I live alone in Dime Box and not Austin and I have very little help with the care of the animals I do it most all by myself. With the shortage of help in this area and the law enforcement that does not seem to give a damn about the animals I decided to close the rescue. I have started competeing in Extreme Cowboy Racing and barrel racing again. I am doing some selective breeding with my horses. I have kept my horses even when the rescue was up and running full time. I have shut down the rescue website to save money even tho I still have a few dogs and ferrets to adopt out.All the horses hae been adopted out My vice president is listing them on her website. I can give anyone vet references and my 501 3C IRS number altho I have cenceled it. Any other ref. can also be given. I am legit and the rescue is not looking for horses. I am personally. They are two separate things. My email is still BHanimalrescue@verizon.net if anyone has anymore questions I will be glad to answer them.
    Last edited by Rodeocrazy1; Dec. 28, 2012 at 02:43 AM.

There are a few people that know me at bluebonnet equine. Melanie at True Blue Animal Rescue in Brenham knows me very well as I am a lifetime member. I started helping them with the horses before I started doing it here at my rescue.
    Last edited by Rodeocrazy1; Dec. 28, 2012 at 02:36 AM.

welcome to the nut house.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

You are so right rescues do NOT have to look for horses they are having to turn them away since the no slaughter bill passed and the economy went downhill.

[edit]
    Last edited by Moderator 3; Dec. 28, 2012 at 11:51 AM. Reason: to remove adoption details

Quote Originally Posted by Rodeocrazy1 View Post
    My name is Julie Rawls but no one uses or knows me by my legal name Julie, I go by CJ and I am the founder and president of Broken Heart Animal Rescue. I started ths rescue after I got back from Katrina. I only did Rottweilers for a few years and then started rescueing horses and ferrets. I broke my neck for the second time in August of 2009. A I live alone in Dime Box and not Austin and I have very little help with the care of the animals I do it most all by myself. With the shortage of help in this area and the law enforcement that does not seem to give a damn about the animals I decided to close the rescue. I have started competeing in Extreme Cowboy Racing and barrel racing again. I am doing some selective breeding with my horses. I have kept my horses even when the rescue was up and running full time. I have shut down the rescue website to save money even tho I still have a few dogs and ferrets to adopt out.All the horses hae been adopted out My vice president is listing them on her website. I can give anyone vet references and my 501 3C IRS number altho I have cenceled it. Any other ref. can also be given. I am legit and the rescue is not looking for horses. I am personally. They are two separate things. My email is still BHanimalrescue@verizon.net if anyone has anymore questions I will be glad to answer them.

Well Rodeocrazy1, you can't post rescue information here if you don't have a 501(c)3. Why would you cancel your 501(c)3 if you still had animals that needed to be rehomed? Reported.