The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Need strong, durable tarp for shavings

We have a bin constructed out of plywood that contains our bulk shavings. The dilemma we keep facing is in finding a tarp that will hold up, not disintegrate with the sun and is waterproof. Most of all, one that will last for more than a few months. What do you use? There must be something worth the money out there.... help!

Little Rock and Boxley, Arkansas

Billboards are made of sturdy tarps nowadays. You can get these on ebay. Many sizes, very sturdy.

1 members found this post helpful.

We're planning to build something permanent next summer but for this winter I built storage using heavy plastic - the kind used for greenhouses. I built a simple greenhouse style roof frame out of 3/4" PVC pipe and covered it with this:

So far it has worked really well. Shavings are bone dry even after several torrential rainstorms and the plastic looks the same as it did the day I put the structure up... Unlike the tarp we have covering our woodpile, which is already degrading in the weather.

1 members found this post helpful.

Western South Dakota

I got this tarp from Amazon to cover up a small exercise area for my chickens. We put is up last October and it has held up well, so far.,%20White

Thank you so much. I subscribed to this thread so I can find it when I need some more tarps!