The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

we've got sand and rocks, and rocks and sand...

Default My Christmas Presents this year! (or what non-"present" things are you grateful for)

So... this Christmas was pretty tough. Just kind of bare, lonely and stressful for me, while other people in the house were having the best Christmas of their lives. (Happy for them... really... but you guys know how it goes.)

So, today instead of dwelling on the things that *didn't* happen, I'm going to list the AMAZING presents that I got. :-)

1. A joyful headbump/headbutt (she was an orphan raised by a dairy goat, so sometimes she gets a bit confused as to what constitutes "proper" equine behaviour) from my soon to be 18 year old TB mare when I gave her a christmas peppermint bran mash. She wasn't expecting it and it made her day! She had mash on the tips of her ears and half-way down her neck by the time she was done!

2. A warm, wet, soggy, snotty nose kiss on the cheek from my weanling when I was haltering her to bring her in. Nothing says equine love quite as much as a nice snot/mud/sand combo noseprint on your face. ;-)

3. Watching my dog jump, frolic, gambol, bounce and squiggle on her beautifully healed leg down the path in front of me from the barn to the house. And if the frolicking was a little sideways... well, she's just dancing to her own drummer now!

4. A company that cares enough about us having to work on Christmas that they not only gave us a fruit and bundt cake party, but when our manager discovered a sale on chocolate fountains at Bed Bath and Beyond on the way in to work... guess who got a freakin CHOCOLATE FOUNTAIN as well. That's right WE did baby! :-D

So I guess in the grand scheme of things, all I need in life to keep myself happy are animals and chocolate! ROFL!

So what non-present things did you guys get?
    The ninja monkeys are plotting my demise as we speak....

I got greeted with nickers from both my jumper mare (whom I hadn't seen since Thanksgiving) and my first pony (my parents purchased her back so she could be a Christmas gift for someone in my "school family" and I hadn't seen her in YEARS). Brought a huge smile to my face!!

1 members found this post helpful.

We have fresh snow and my 9 month old Aussie puppy LOVES it so much. It's so funny to watch her zoom around the yard, stuffed reindeer toy in her mouth, grinning and bouncing and sliding.

Merry Christmas everyone!

My family has gone home. I love my family, but they have GONE HOME. I haven't gotten dressed all day. Glorious. Especially as it HAILED here.

It snowed on Christmas Eve. Wheee! A whiteish Christmas!!

I have my pup, and she had a grand old time opening presents yesterday.

Was able to move my aged mares to deluxe accommodations at my friend's farm. I think this will add years to the life of the 30 y/o TB with no teeth...

we've got sand and rocks, and rocks and sand...

awww! Love these stories! Keep 'em coming! :-)
    The ninja monkeys are plotting my demise as we speak....

This.

This.

And for sure...

This!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

My best present was seeing updated pictures of a mare that I paid the bail on to get her out of the kill pen. This mare is the dam of an ex-racehorse of mine, who is now my daughter's riding horse.

The mare was run through an OLEX auction, terribly under weight, put on a trailer, where she was severely injured, and hauled off to the kill pen in the Ottawa area, from where she was rescued. The pictures of this mare would make anyone sick. She is doing much better, but still has a long way to go.

How anyone could do this to a mare that had won almost half a million on the track, and has produced runners that win, is beyond belief. The person, or persons that allowed this to happen are being tracked down, and hopefully something can be done.

If you want to follow the story, find Transitions Thoroughbreds on facebook, and look for the mare "Press Exclusive".

My sister in law was diagnosed with bladder cancer this Summer.

My brother retired early this Spring, I am sure this was not what was in mind for his first year.

They got hooked up with an excellent Oncology group and were able to seamlessly have chemo during a transisiton from one health care parrier ( her work) to another. You know how those coverage things happen every year.

On the 11th, Cindy entered the hospital for surgery. Full Oviohysterectomy and bladder removal. A new bladder made from a bowel loop and a soma made to the outside.

On the 18th they returned home.

Last night, They came before dinner and sat with us for a visit.

CIndy looks wonderful Dave, to me, looks like a hero.

The journey has been one of grace , positive attitude and love. It has been an honor to observe their love.

Now their schedule is filled with

Nothing

no appointments for consults chemo check ins check up and the like.

Lymphnodes ( all 29) clear and no cancer seen. Further tissue pathologies pending.

SOme camping trips being planned. Return to work in March hopeful

and a new Grandchild due in July

The best Christmas Present ever.
    _\\\\]
    -- * > hoopoe

www.meanderingwa.blogspot.com