The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

I drive a 2002 Chevy Trailblazer. It has nearly 200,000 miles and it's on transmission #3. It's hitting that time period of lots of repairs. Most recently I did the wheel hubs, brakes all around, thermostat and O2 sensor. I need to do the front suspension and exhaust manifold eventually. I hope to get 250K out of it before having to trade up.

I think it looks pretty sexy hauling my brenderup though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	truck.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	15.2 KB 
ID:	37389  

2012 Toyota Prius C. I LOVE it. So cheap to own and great on gas for commuting. We also have a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 that we towed the car trailer with. I have no horse at the moment...but for when I do again in the future That and the 1997 Jeep Cherokee with 200,000 that will. not. quit.

I mostly drive a 1990 Honda Civic hatchback that was given to me ca. 7 years ago by one of my best friends who drives much more than I do and didn't know how much longer this car would last given that it had over 200K miles on it. 100 more later.... Yup, definitely a best friend. I gather this car is some kind of classic from the offers I keep getting on it.

Hauling vehicle is a 2000 Dodge Ram 4x4 3500 diesel dually I bought in 2006, having totaled my 1989 Ford F250 (gas). Never been sorry to be rid of the Ford: one of only 2 vehicles I ever bought new, it was a gas-guzzling, gutless PITA with a new vehicle guarantee that wasn't worth the proverbial paper it was printed on. The Dodge has been a decided move up at less than half the price.

07 Toyota Yaris
    07 Toyota Corolla

Both have knock-on-wood been trouble free. I had a Pontiac G5 (08 if I remember...maybe 07) and that stupid thing had SO many problems. Small ones, but the couple hundred dollars at a pop added up.

Forgot the truck...
    99 Dodge Ram 1500

We just pretty much haul one tiny Arab in our even tinier trailer and it has no problems pulling/stopping it and averages about `2+mpg. Nice to at least have one vehicle with 4WD.

Yaris will be paid off shortly and that was our only vehicle payment, so will be nice to have no car payments. Plan is to drive both Yaris and the Corolla into the ground. We have been discussing maybe getting a newer, nicer truck as a more comfortable horse hauling type vehicle, but I think I just want to put the "car payment" money towards paying down my student loan debt faster.

We have a 66 Mustang too, but that pony usually just stays in the stall all day. No real turnout for that one.

1997 CR-V with 480,000 kms on it.

2 members found this post helpful.

2012 Subaru Outback 6-speed manual. Love it.
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

Spoiled kid here... I drive my dad's old 19 year old BMW 525. Old enough that my dad wouldn't kill me (just almost kill me ) if it got a small scratch or ding and it has its quirks. Speakers don't work, no cup holders, gear shift handle pops off (thank god it's an automatic!!), windshield wipers have 2 speeds: every 10 minutes and "I SWEAR THIS TIME THEY'RE GOING TOO FAST THEY'RE GOING TO FLY OFF".

Wouldn't trade it for the world Only about 180,000 miles and still going strong. Accelerates like crazy (got me out of many a tough scrape with Virginia drivers!!), best brakes I've ever used in a car (again, SUPER necessary in VA...), plus the fact that I'd be crazy about pretty much any car that I was the "primary driver" of...

Plus it's a pwetty color!!
    I like mares. They remind me of myself: stubborn know it alls who only acknowledge you if you have food.
    Hannah B. Nana: 50% horse, 50% hippo
    Fiona: can't decide between jumpers or napping

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Electrikk View Post
    windshield wipers have 2 speeds: every 10 minutes and "I SWEAR THIS TIME THEY'RE GOING TOO FAST THEY'RE GOING TO FLY OFF".
    This made me laugh out loud and nearly snort hot tea out my nose!

4 members found this post helpful.

Toyota Corrolla

It's white, it's adorable, and I average 37 mpg.

I might ask to be buried with it or at the very least, replace it with an exact replica whenever it dies.

2008 Subaru Outback. Is there any other car on the road in the Inland Northwest?
    Sheilah

Quote Originally Posted by Electrikk View Post
    Spoiled kid here... I drive my dad's old 19 year old BMW 525. Old enough that my dad wouldn't kill me (just almost kill me ) if it got a small scratch or ding and it has its quirks. Speakers don't work, no cup holders, gear shift handle pops off (thank god it's an automatic!!), windshield wipers have 2 speeds: every 10 minutes and "I SWEAR THIS TIME THEY'RE GOING TOO FAST THEY'RE GOING TO FLY OFF".

Wouldn't trade it for the world Only about 180,000 miles and still going strong. Accelerates like crazy (got me out of many a tough scrape with Virginia drivers!!), best brakes I've ever used in a car (again, SUPER necessary in VA...), plus the fact that I'd be crazy about pretty much any car that I was the "primary driver" of...

Plus it's a pwetty color!!
    Love this! I drove my Dad's 1983 318 from 1994 to 1997 I think? It had 247,000 miles on it when a careless merge on my part totalled it. I was devastated, such a great car.

I drove a BF's 85 318 for a year!!!
    It went nowhere in the snow!!! It stopped like a champ, no problems with sliding there. But if you stopped in the snow...you were never moving again, LOL!

I used to time leaving with my neighbor, so at the stop sign at the end of our street he'd be behind me and nudge me into motion again.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

5 members found this post helpful.

I love, love, love my 2010 Ford Mustang. It's the first car I've ever bought brand new, and I take very good care of my little (Kona Blue) Beauty.

DH vowed he'd never own another Ford product, but he finally made an exception. We have his '04 Chevy Silverado for the dirty work, and both kids drive Chevy's too - '06 Malibu and 2011 Impala.

2006 Ford Escape - love it, have loved it every day since I bought it, will drive it until it won't go anymore. :-) Have never had a moment's trouble and it has driven back and forth most of the way across the country a few times.

2005 F350 - love it when it's running, but it needs to be religiously maintained and has its "moments". Does great hauling the trailer though, and has gotten DH to work in some pretty interesting winter conditions.

Pretty content with my Fords. Covet my trainer's GMC truck though - it has magical properties and never lets us down, and we have hauled a loooooooong way with that truck.

I very recently was hit by a lifted truck going full speed on a county road and totaled out my 2009 Chevy Cobalt. Totally wrecked, bent frame, really messed up.. but the interior still looked MINT after the accident. The car took the impact so well I walked away with no more than a bruise from the seatbelt. That accident could have ended much worse.

So.. I bought another 2007 Chevy Cobalt. This time I got a coupe with the sport suspension and a manual transmission. Love driving it, and getting 35-40+ MPG is awesome considering my commute to work is 80 miles per day minimum.

We also have an older Jeep Cherokee Sport that will go through anything.. it's a little rough and has its gremlins but its nice to have in snow storms and mud.

Since my SO is really into offroad vehicles and builds custom trucks, we also have a 2007 Chevy Dually Duramax to haul with. That truck took us all the way to Canada and back to import my mare and I love the truck. I have owned other brands but have always gone back to Chevy, those vehicles have never let me down.

Daily is a Lexus 250IS, got off a carlot in the snow belt for nexta nothing cause it was totalled, RWD & 6 speed. No one around here can drive one I guess Bought cause Lexus handle like there on rails & are bulletproof, like Volvos used to be until SOME CAR CO bought them & screwed them up, swore on a stack Id never have another Volvo. Favorite car was a 98 V70 until replaceing parts was more than pmt, really. Most useful was 96 ford e150, haul the world with lots of room in that thing, sold it with 155K on it when gas was $4.25 a gallon, did maintnance almost nothing else.
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

Quote Originally Posted by Senszuri View Post
    I very recently was hit by a lifted truck going full speed on a county road and totaled out my 2009 Chevy Cobalt. Totally wrecked, bent frame, really messed up.. but the interior still looked MINT after the accident. The car took the impact so well I walked away with no more than a bruise from the seatbelt. That accident could have ended much worse.

So.. I bought another 2007 Chevy Cobalt.
    This sounds like what happened with my mom 2 years ago... totaled her car, she rearended a pickup. I think we were still at about 45 mph on impact... I had the only injury, which was a fabric burn from the seat belt and airbags since I was wearing a tank top. Had some nice marks on my neck that conviniently turned into hickey-like bruises on my chest and neck just in time for picture day
    But less than two weeks later, she found the same car and bought it. Nothing like good accident performance to buy customer loyalty :/
    I like mares. They remind me of myself: stubborn know it alls who only acknowledge you if you have food.
    Hannah B. Nana: 50% horse, 50% hippo
    Fiona: can't decide between jumpers or napping

I love my commuter car, an 08 Toyota Solara convertible in "artic frost pearl". Mid to high 20s in gas mileage, totally girly and a real blast to drive.

I haul with a 99 Yukon with 170k. Comfortable and roomy but I'm still mourning the 04 LR Disco that DD totaled. Towed my Brenderup like a dream and it would go anywhere off-road. She flipped it 3x-sans seatbelt-without a scratch or bruise (at least until I got ahold of her). I really wanted to replace it but my new job was a 45 minute commute and the gas was eating me alive at 12 miles to the gallon. RIP sweet DISCO.

My Florida car is a 2011 Toyota Prius (named Priya) which I loff. Navigation is excellent and the stereo system is quite lovely. I put 80-100 miles a day on it when I'm running around to ride/grocery shop/etc.

My Boston car is the new 2012 Lexus hybrid (300h) in BRIGHT blue (named Little Blue). Fully loaded and an absolute BLAST to drive. Unlike my Prius which has almost 44,000 miles, my little Lexus only has 6K...guess where I spend most of my time :P

My towing truck is a 2011 Chevy 3500 HD (named Big Blue). Great to drive and haul, awful on gas, but I only use it to tow and to take garbage to the dump.

My toy is a 1997 BMW Z3 (named Princess) that belonged to my mom. She gave it to me after she had knee surgery when I was 17 and she could no longer drive a stick. It only goes out on absolutely perfect days and it has under 50K on it. It's my favorite

I'm now in the market for a mini-van preferably with a handicapped conversion; no, not for me but for my pig! It's become impossible to get my girl in the back of the Prius, so the plan is to get a van she can either step into directly or I can use a small ramp for her to walk up/down. I'll only use it to get her to and from the vet and the farrier, so it really doesn't matter what it is or what it has in it so long as it runs and has AC!
    Nine out of ten times, you'll get it wrong...but it's that tenth time that you get it right that makes all the difference.

The truck is an 05 Chevy Silverado, which I love. The only problem I've had with it is a broken CD player. It also solidified the fact that I will never own a Honda--I backed the truck (rolling about 5 mph, foot wasn't even on the gas) into a parked Honda. The truck had ZERO damage, marks, or smudges, but the Honda had 3300 dollars worth of damage and was nearly totaled.

My commuter car? Well, here's a picture of one similar to mine:

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=1999+...r:64,s:0,i:288
    "And now . . .off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums."