The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

I had a 2003 Pontiac Vibe that I loved and was prepared to drive until it died. Then, they discontinued Pontiacs. I rushed to the dealer to get a new Vibe so that I could have one for as long as possible, but I was too late, they were sold out for the entire year, so many people wanted them. So, I went back to my original plan of driving the 2003 to death. A year later the dealer called me and told me that they had gotten in a 2010 Vibe (last year manufactured) that had been a loaner car for a coach at Syracuse University. Apparently, a dealership in Syracuse supplies all of the coaches with new cars every year. It had 8,500 miles on it. I was over to the dealership super quick and bought it -- my first ever used car.

Now, I've driven it for almost two years and I love the 2010 just as much as I loved the 2003. The 2003 was an AWD and super in the snow. The 2010 isn't AWD, but I'm retired now and don't drive much in snowy conditions so I really don't know how this one handles in rough weather. But, the mileage is great, it's comfortable on long trips, with the back seats down I can fit in a ton of stuff and it has not given me one iota of trouble. Now, this is the Vibe I'm going to drive to death, and I'm already fretting about what I'm going to buy next, since I won't be able to get another one.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

1 members found this post helpful.

Looove it I had a 1999 Eclipse http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...385_1922_n.jpg (can you tell I like pretty cars?) before that but traded it for the Lancer since I planned on starting a family and would need a 4-door. It was cheap too! Only $15k(end of year clearance). We bought the base model (it HAD to be a standard.. I hate automatic cars) and we added on all the extras (wheels, spoiler, body kit, etc.). So far so good.. I'm at about 40k miles now.
    Proud owner of Belle- 17.2h PerchxTB-wannabe dressage horse & Fayah 14.1H arab-trail horse extroidinaire!

2012 Mini Cooper convertible with JC Works. ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT! Also have a 2007 Rav 4 which has been very dependable...but not very exciting...

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post
    A year ago I got rid of my beloved 2003 Corolla and replaced it with a 2012 Hyundai Sonata. It's a good car. I don't identify with it like I did my Corolla so it will get traded in in a more timely manner.

When a little old lady hit me this summer and it was in the shop for a week I had a 2012 Nissan Altima as a rental. Besides having a keyless ignition (which I learned to LOVE) it was almost indistinguisable from my Sonata. I am going to consider those when I buy again.
    My sister just purchased a Hyundai Sonata. She almost purchased a Nissan Altima, but then went and looked at the Sonata when my sister's mechanic chimed in and said that the Nissan is a pain in the a## to repair (thus requiring that he charge more money to repair said car) and isn't as reliable as the Sonata.
    Random horse pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/glfprncs/
    Talk to me about fitness or nutrition (I'm an A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer)!
    My blog! http://personalsweatequity.blogspot.com/

I have a 2004 diesel VW Passat wagon which I love. It is fun to drive, gets really good gas mileage, and has lots of room for equipment, feed, etc. I have about 170K miles on it.

DH has a 2000 VW Passat wagon and really likes it although it doesn't get as good gas mileage as my diesel.

Our tow vehicle is a 2009 Ford F350 Super Duty diesel pickup with a crew cab and regular size bed.

I used to have a 2006 Audi A4. Loved the way it drove but it had issue after issue, all of which were common issues. Got sick of paying for costly repairs that weren't covered under warranty (like the transmission control module) when the car only had 50,000 miles on it.

Now I have a 2011 Honda Accord. It's much roomier on the inside, slightly more comfortable, better reliability, doesn't require premium gas and will probably hold it's value better. It's not as fun to drive but I'd never own another Audi.

I also own a 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid that my husband now drives. We've never had an issue and it gets great mileage (34 mpg city / 28 mpg highway).

And last but not least, I used to own a 1978 Ford Mustang II. But I sold it to get a real pony.

I have a 93 Toyota Corolla that I love. That car has 221k. I bought it 8 years ago and it had 60k. LOL I've put an alternator, distributor and starter in it and that's it. Haven't been great about maintaining it either and still it plugs along. I intended to drive it into the ground.

My other is a 96 Dodge 3/4 ton. LOVE my truck, just wish I could afford to drive it!

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Everday: 2008 PT Cruiser - LOFF IT!
    I rented the model and roadtested it myself before buying.
    I like the higher deck and it handles like a bigger car.
    Even my brother - owner of a Subaru WRX - admitted it has some muscle.
    Gas mileage not wonderful, but ok - ~20mpg highway - but it does need a tuneup.

For Hauling: 2000 F250 V10 gas engine
    Hauls like it does not even know the trailer is there <aluminum 2H GN
    BUT: sucks gas like a mutha even w/o the trailer attached.
    That said, mileage does not vary much when hauling.
    Same battery issues someone else mentioned when it sits - so right now a neighbor is borrowing it since he blew the head gasket on his F150.
    He keeps it moving and in gas, I get a break from having to drive the behemoth to work a couple times a week just to keep the battery alive.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

2007 Suzuki SX4.

Love it! It's paid off, AWD, pretty good on gas, fits everything I need to go to a horseshow except the horse, and has enough room for passengers to be comfy. Also, when it snows like crazy here and everyone but the trucks are getting stuck, I can blast through the streets no problem. It's fun watching other drivers' jaws hit the ground...

I also have a Passat wagon. It's gas--diesel was not an option when I was buying. It has all the bells/whistles and is fun to drive. It has 170,000 miles and recently (last year+) has had a few age related issues, and needed both catalytic converters replaced (sux because expensive and does not relate to ability to drive, only emissions--not that emissions aren't important). None of the "issues" it's ever had cause the car to not start, so it's been super reliable. Decent gas mileage for a larger vehicle/V6 (22-26 mpg). Tons of room in the wagon, especially with rear seats down!

It's safe--saved my life (literally) from a T-bone accident right at my door with my infant daughter in the car as well. One other significant accident and a few fender benders (none my fault!) and the car is worth nothing on paper, but is a keeper! I would buy another VW in a heartbeat, even though service tends to be more expensive.

My tow vehicle is a 2006 F250. Rarely driven unless hauling, only 25K miles in 6 years. No battery issues, only issues are cosmetic from it being a "working" vehicle (minor scratches, dents). Only gets 11 mpg, but seems to be about the same while hauling, too. This is a great vehicle too and replaced a workhorse F150 that had over 100K miles and was only sold because we needed the extended cab for a car seat!
    From now on, ponyfixer, i'll include foot note references.

I have a 2002 Toyota Solara that I bought used several years ago with 110k miles on it. I told hubby that it was just getting broken in Now it has 205k on it, and it runs like a dream and I've hardly spent anything maintaining it! I just got it all waxed and buffed, and she looks beautiful! I can't imagine the day it dies, I'll feel like I lost a beloved pet.
    Hubby is a mechanic and he loves working on the Toyotas (which he rarely sees)...says they are put together with sense and are easy to work on. He'll NEVER buy another GM product...EVER.
    Cindy

I just bought a 2011 Saab 93 today!!! I fell in LOVE test driving it. Before that I've always had Volvos- S40, V70 and V50. Sad to not have another Volvo but happy to have another Swedish car!

We have an '06 Honda Accord that my husband drives to work (1 hr each way) 6 cylinder 6 speed. That thing is a blast!

For hauling, we have my '95 F250. It's starting to show it's age a bit, so we had to retire it from daily driving because it's still too valuable to replace. It's great for hauling, around the farm, etc. And so much fun to drive.

To relieve both vehicles from my daily and weekend family driving, we just got a '97 Oldsmobile Bravada. Basically the luxury Chevy Tahoe. It rocks! Leather seats, all the bells and whistles, sun roof... Easy to load the child and 3 dogs and all our stuff into. I swore I would never have an suv, but this has converted me.
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry and has widely been considered as a bad move." -Douglas Adams

I drive an '05 F250, 4wd, V10 gas, long bed supercab. (not the actual 4 door cab, the back seats have a 1/2 door)
    Love it, I did swap out the crappy factory tires for some more serious bad weather tires and if we get a really snowy year I weight the bed for traction since I live in the land o' steep hills and hairpin curves. But with the weight and tires I don't have issues.
    As 2Dogs said...the engine is a freaking monster. I could probably hook up my house and move it, LOL! And the gas tank lets me know it's a big engine. 10 mpg no matter what/where. I drive it daily, but stay pretty local so my mileage is low and the fuel prices aren't that bad. It's almost 8 years old and only has 32k miles, give or take. Haven't ever had battery issues with it, but then it's my only driving vehicle.

Mr Blue has an '05 Ford 500. Ford came out with that short term as a "new model" that they were then going to replace the Taurus with. However the Taurus had more name recognition, so they kept the Taurus name but scrapped the Taurus model and put the Taurus name on the 500. Car is just under 200k miles. Has had one set of brakes front and back. That's it. Car is *awesome.* It's an AWD, wide and heavy. Haven't met a snowstorm it couldn't chew up and spit out yet. Mr Blue commutes in that but if I have a long way to travel for something, which is rare, we'll swap vehicles for the day to keep the gas-sucking miles off of my gas-sucking truck, LOL! We've been looking into new cars for this one's replacement for when it finally drops dead, but honestly I'll hate to see it go. He gets about 22-25 mpg with it, so decent mileage. His commute isn't ridiculous...36 miles one way. We're considering either another one (well, Taurus AWD) or a mid-size SUV since we always seem to have large dogs. Getting big dogs in and out of the narrow back seat of the truck is a pain in the ass and there's not much room for them to be comfy back there. And for a car we need to put in a seat liner to keep the hair out of the upholstery because hubby can't show up at work covered in dog hair. Before the truck we always had a large or medium SUV and those do make life a helluva lot easier for us.

I still miss my Disco...that's the only foreign vehicle we really like. Had a Nissan Maxima a while back, car was a POS. It was fun to drive...nice giddy-up and handling considering the price. But sucked on wet roads and it was in one fender-bender and practically totalled. A crumple zone is supposed to protect the cabin...NOT disintegrate while it does that for maximum damage cost/parts buying later on. I got the Disco after that, and was rear ended by another Maxima. That one was totalled...for a 10 mpg slide in the snow into my rear bumper. Total POS. And it is a PITA to repair. I'd steer clear of Nissans.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

89 and 90 Chevy 150 both going strong at 125k and 65k. The old 94 nissan pick up with 177k miles. My 02 F150 with 180k miles that is still awesome and gets pretty good mileage about 16 to 18 mpg. My 93 F350 dually is my hauler and that has 118k miles on it. Rather love that truck and get about 18 mpg. The 01 F250 diesel has 220k miles on it but gets 30mpg. With the chip it is a blast to drive and I use it as my daily driver.

My BF does upholstery and custom auto fabrication so we get cars through the auction all the time and trade them out. But the ones above are what we have right now and they stay.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

I drive a Jeep Liberty. It's nice and does what I need it to do.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

2008 Ford Focus sedan (second-hand from my mother.) I like it well enough. With two dogs, a four-door is pretty much a necessity.

We just bought a 2005 E-55 AMG Mercedes with only 36,000 miles on it. It is way fun, scary fast.

2008 F350 crew cab long bed dually.
    1997 "disposable" Expedition for hauling sweaty ballplayers and dirty dogs.

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

2012 Chevy Traverse I got 2 days after Christmas last year, when it was going to take $10k to get my 280,000 mile Yukon XL back on the road. Love it. Gets amazing gas mileage and I can haul lots of stuff. DH has a 2004 Silverado 2500. We are going to have to get another truck before June because I will no longer be able to fit all the kiddos in a single cab to get to shows and lessons
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

I have a 2004 Volvo s80. I LOVE my car. It is a solid, heavy thing. Feels safe, IS safe. Gets good gas mileage. I honestly don't think that I'll own anything but a Volvo after having this car. I've gone through a lot of different ones over the years and nothing drives as well as this.

Plus its really pretty.