The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

2003 dodge neon with 301k on it. I drive a lot as I do home health and hospice for a living. Mostly just basic maintenance, but did have to drop a new engine in it at 271k. Both of my regular mechanics told me that they thought it was worth the new engine. Now I'm back to the regularly scheduled plan of driving it until the wheels fall off.

I just replaced my 2000 Jetta with 180,000 miles on in. It was good to me for ten years, but the cost of fixing the problems it had was more than the car was worth. Now I've got a 2012 Ford Focus, which I LOVE! It's been getting great gas milage (~35mpg), it's fun to drive, and it looks pretty darn sharp. Though frankly, I was just excited to get a car with power windows

For towing around my horse, I've also got a 2000 YukonXL, which is great for moving horses and things. Just not so great for gas milage, or driving around DC on a daily basis

04 Silverado 1500 extended cab 4x4. Love it. Wish I could afford to have a great mileage commuter car too, but I can only afford one vehicle at the moment and not having a truck is not an option. For a full size my truck gets great mileage, is easy to work on and has never left me stranded.
    It is only through labor and painful effort, by grim energy and resolute courage, that we move on to better things.
    Theodore Roosevelt

My daily driver is a 2010 Mazda3, and I'm pretty happy with it. Wouldn't exactly call it fun or exciting, but the milage is decent and it handles well for a car in its class.

I also have a 1997 diesel F250, which I love. Mostly it just gets used for pulling the horse trailer and other sorts of things that a truck is handy for.

And I have a 1990 Mazda Miata that used to belong to my father. It's very fun in the summer, but right now I have the battery in my half-bath (no tub or shower, so it doesn't get very damp in there) and the car is bundled up in the garage under a car cover, where it will remain until spring.

DH has a 2006 VW Golf TDI, and that's a great little car, too.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

2004 Saturn Ion, it's been a good car and is still going strong.
    2007 Ford F250 diesel, we've already had to replace the batteries and alternator.

I have a 2010 Civic coupe that I got to replace my 1999 Accord that had 200k miles on it. Hondas are awesome!
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Quote Originally Posted by JenEM View Post
    Though frankly, I was just excited to get a car with power windows
    That's so funny - I was really bummed when I found out that I couldn't get the old style manual crank windows in my 2010 Mazda, lol. Sales guy thought I was batshit crazy.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

Dodge 2500 diesel 4x4 truck, '07. I love it but it is a beast. But everytime I think of buying a little car I can't bring myself to do it.

I have a 2009 Kia Rio - I've been made fun of for buying it, but it's been a little trooper for me (even in snow). I think the difference is that you have to stay on top of the recommended maintenance which is something a lot of people who were making fun of me don't do...well....at all.... Also can't beat the warranty.
    To be loved by a horse should fill us with awe, for we hath not deserved it.

Still driving my 2002 Saturn L200 -- paid off, 261,000+ miles, automatic with all the options. I ADORE this car.

BUT . . . my mechanic has told me that it needs about $3000 worth of work, about $800 pretty serious. So I am considering my options at this point, since I drive about 500 miles/week and plan on going back to school next fall. I could replace it totally with a Mini Cooper, or buy a second car (like a Miata!) and only bring the Saturn out when I need the FWD.

I drive a 2012 Dodge Ram 1500. LOVE that truck. My ONLY gripe about that truck is that the high beams freakin' stink. You have better visibility with the low beams, which, in an area with lots of wildlife and no street lights makes me nervous. We're thinking about splurging on a brush guard with super lights on it, but it seems silly.

DH drives a 2011 Jeep Compass. He loves it, I hate it. It's manual, reasonable on gas (25 mpg). The only reason I agreed to it was because we were in the dealership 2 days after I'd given birth and DH had dragged us around for 12 hours in the middle of winter. I think I remember screaming at him something along the lines of "I JUST EXPELLED YOUR DAMN CHILD FROM MY LADY BITS TWO DAYS AGO. I'M COLD, TIRED, HUNGRY, AND SICK OF LOOKING AT CARS! JUST FREAKIN' PICK ONE OR I'M GOING TO DIVORCE YOUR INDECISIVE ASS!!!!"
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

3 members found this post helpful.

I have on 06 F-250 4x4 Lariat. It's a beast but comfy and surprisingly easy to drive everyday. When I can, I "steal" my SO's 2010 Mazda 3. It's the polar opposite of the truck but it's economical and sporty.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

A year ago I got rid of my beloved 2003 Corolla and replaced it with a 2012 Hyundai Sonata. It's a good car. I don't identify with it like I did my Corolla so it will get traded in in a more timely manner.

When a little old lady hit me this summer and it was in the shop for a week I had a 2012 Nissan Altima as a rental. Besides having a keyless ignition (which I learned to LOVE) it was almost indistinguisable from my Sonata. I am going to consider those when I buy again.

My husband and I both have Toyotas. Mine is a Rav4 and his is a Tundra. Love them both, so far. They are both newer so I don't (yet) know how they will compare to my beloved 2000 CRV which was the energizer bunny of cars. I would have bought a newer CRV, but I dislike the tiny back windows on them now.

Until recently, I had a Dodge Ram 1500 - 1998 model and did not like it much. It was two wheel drive and not really great for hauling...good, not great.

I have a Hyundai Accent now - gift from my step-mom. LOVE it! It is the second one I owned. Great gas mileage, much cheaper to change the oil and do maintenance (With the warranty, I actually get 3 free oil changes per year).

I will get another truck eventually, but I will now always have a high mpg daily driver.

Quote Originally Posted by glfprncs View Post
    2007 Jeep Patriot. It was cheap ($15k new), FWD and a manual transmission (because I have always driven a stick.) It's roomy and totes my 3 dogs nicely on long trips. It's actually a pretty comfortable drive and other than one $300 repair job in the last 95k miles, it's been mechanically sound.
    Me too! But I have 4 dogs.....

2005 Subaru Forester, at about 45,000 miles now.

Before that I had a 1999 Subaru Forester, which I traded in about a year ago with 195,000 miles.

As long as they continue to make them, that's what I'll continue to buy.

I used to have a Honda Civic hatchback si that I LOVED. I wish they still made them. The Hondas available on the US market are so...blah in their design.
    So, I looked around for a small hatchback with good milage that didn't break the bank and settled on a Saturn Astra with manual transmission. I've had it for 4-5 years and love it! Good mileage (34 - 36 mpg), FUN to drive, hugs the road, has lots of pick up, it's cute and surprisingly roomy when you fold the back seats. Plenty of room for grain, shavings etc.
    The only "not-so-great" thing about it is driving it in the snow, since I don't have snow tires. Overall tho, I'm very happy with my little car.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Cool

2011 Mitsubishi Lancer. It's sexy

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...78047892_n.jpg
    Proud owner of Belle- 17.2h PerchxTB-wannabe dressage horse & Fayah 14.1H arab-trail horse extroidinaire!

^ THAT'S THE ONE I WANTED! but we ended up with the Jeep instead. lol

Do you like it?
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.