The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by lilitiger2 View Post
    Siping is where they actually cut more little slits into the tire to create more edges. some people don't like it (could impact manufacturer's warranty) but I o like it, much more traction, better grip. They do it quite a bit out here at the tire shops, but I couldnt' find anyone to do it in Vermont. So, its a matter of preference but I prefer it!
    Siping is GREAT! Definitely better traction, plus if you're like me and run the same tires year round, siping helps keep the rubber cooler which helps the tires last longer.
    Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from any direction.
    Cowboy saying

1 members found this post helpful.

Got my tires rotated and explained the problem.

Garage manager looked at them:

"the ones that were in front are barely legal. The ones that are in front now are a lot better. Just what your speed around corners because having the slicks in the back could cause you to fishtail. I'd suggest you just replace that pair with a new pair of all seasons and put those in the front and you should be just fine. No need for snow tires."

I sure appreciate it when people aren't out to sell me something I might not need. Kudos to Garage Man!

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post
    Got my tires rotated and explained the problem.

Garage manager looked at them:

"the ones that were in front are barely legal. The ones that are in front now are a lot better. Just what your speed around corners because having the slicks in the back could cause you to fishtail. I'd suggest you just replace that pair with a new pair of all seasons and put those in the front and you should be just fine. No need for snow tires."

I sure appreciate it when people aren't out to sell me something I might not need. Kudos to Garage Man!
    I generally don't mind driving in snow - I grew up in WNY and have been doing for 25+ years without 4 wheel drive. The above did make me want to say to check your tires if your having traction issues. I went almost an entire winter once on minimal tread. I finally looked at the tires in February and realized why I had been having problems all winter . I bought new tires and suddenly had traction again . BTW, this was with a FWD Toyota Corolla.

Christa

That's awesome you only needed two new ones and the guy was honest. Hope it goes much better in the snow for you now!
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by shiningwizard255 View Post
    Anybody else absolutely terrified to drive in the snow/freezing rain/sleet/etc?

I didn't used to be. When I was younger it was fine. I haven't *knock on wood* had a bad incident in the snow so no real reason to be scared. But the older I get, the more nervous snow makes me.

Especially today! It is white out conditions in my town at the moment, and I am at work. Our roads look like crap. I don't get to go home any time soon so it's only going to be that much worse by the time I am driving. I only have to drive about five miles home but I am already wringing my hands. Any tricks to calming down snow driving fears???
    Sorry I cannot help: there is a reason I have never considered moving out of California.
    Don't tell me about what you can't do. That's boring. Show me what you can do. - Mom

Quote Originally Posted by Thoroughbred in Color View Post
    Siping is GREAT! Definitely better traction, plus if you're like me and run the same tires year round, siping helps keep the rubber cooler which helps the tires last longer.
    I did not know that they help cool the rubber and yep, run 'em all year (and have run my studs into July...NOT recommended! or legal!! just lazy!)

I live where it snows big some winters. I have gotten in more trouble with AWD than with RWD.

In the 1990s I drove a Dodge police car. It went everywhere (with snow tires) I wanted to go in 18+ inches of snow. I now have a RWD sports car. It snowed the other day. I lost count of people in the ditch on my commute home. Some people spun in the road. I slid one time that day. I have gone off the road many times with AWD.

I think if you go hot dog you will be in trouble. Drive smart, prepare and you can drive a tricycle.