The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Joint Supplements for Humans - What do you use?

Obviously I enjoy riding and also have been doing interval running for two years. Late summer started to notice more than a general achiness in my knees, hips, and ankles. Fifteen years ago I broke an ankle and this Fall have felt what I think is arthritis in the ankle, it has almost put a stop to the running. I am curious what joint supplement you use and why you like it.
    "You gave your life to become the person you are right now. Was it worth it?" Richard Bach

I take MSM. I don't have any particular brand loyalty, I buy whichever one is cheapest (LOVE when I find BOGOs!) but I do try to stay as consistent as I can in the dosage. It helps. I'm pretty creaky in the legs these days and have an old back injury, so I am like a 90 yr old woman when I first get up in the morning. I wouldn't say it cures, I definitely can still be pretty sore and then I resort to aspirin or Advil, but I do think it helps.
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

CM Response.

I'm a little surprised there are not more responses - LOL Horse people are known for creaky joints & bones.

katarine, is CM Response the same product that's available to dogs and hores?
    "You gave your life to become the person you are right now. Was it worth it?" Richard Bach

i take msm twice daily and can walk much better first thing in the morning now.

I do a lot of hill-walking and have crap knees (one has unrepaired ACL tear). This really worked for me! http://www.schiffvitamins.com/product_detail.asp?id=213

My dad had knee problems (he blames sky diving with old style 'chutes) and while waiting for the MRI I sent him a box of supplements with Glucosamine, Chondroitin, MsM and shark cartilage. He took them for a month and found a big improvement so is still taking them. However, now that we have his results from the MRI etc I think he needs injections of Legend or Adequan ( ) since his cartilage is gone.
    He's going to ask his doc.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Cosequin ASU. Yep, the stuff for horses. Asked my doc about it and showed him the jar, he said it wouldn't hurt. I'd been spending $50-60/month for "people" supplements before. Cosequin is much cheaper. Tastes like crap though.
    It is only through labor and painful effort, by grim energy and resolute courage, that we move on to better things.
    Theodore Roosevelt

I take Flex-a-min twice daliy for my knees. It really helps and has vitamin D in there too

Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post
    is CM Response the same product that's available to dogs and hores?
    Now THAT'S a great typo!

I take off the shelf stuff and, I hope you dont mind me throwing out there that maybe your knees are telling you to stop running cuz its bad for them - my knees, and my brother's and sister's, can chime in on that We are all in various states of hobble and in our 50s. We got the bad knee gene-8 knee surgeries between us
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE THEM.

GNC triflex and fish oil.

http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4266766

Has made a world of difference for me and I'm tend to be very skeptical of such things. Not waking up in the middle of the night, every night, with hip pain as well as being able to mount a horse without being afraid of face planting in the dirt has made a believer out of me.

Takes about 5 weeks to really notice the effects.

I have so many joint problems. They are really messed up because I was on prednisone for two years as a kid. I can't kneel or crouch. I've also really been working on pilates and stretching parts of me that don't want to to even me out. My hip and thigh was aching so badly it was keeping me awake at night. You'd THINK I would have tried something before this since I do it for the horses. Since fall OT day I put myself on the horse regimine of glucosamine, chondriatin, and MSM. And you know what? I'm better.

I just look at dosages on good products, like I do with horses stuff, and then buy the straight ingredients in those amounts at Grocery Outlet--WAY cheaper than anywhere else.

I take 2000 mg of Vegetarian Glucosamine and 1000 mg of MSM daily. Without it my right knee blows up and I have trouble walking, with it my knee is no problem.

Christa

Glucosamine and fish oil have done wonders for me. My orthopedist told me to take more than glucosamine than is recommended on the bottle, and to try it for 3 months before I made a decision on if it worked or not, fwiw. It works great for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Thoroughbred in Color View Post
    Cosequin ASU. Yep, the stuff for horses. Asked my doc about it and showed him the jar, he said it wouldn't hurt. I'd been spending $50-60/month for "people" supplements before. Cosequin is much cheaper. Tastes like crap though.
    Actually there is a human variety, called Cosamin ASU that is in non-yucky flavored capsules. It's what ive been on and woks great. I have an inflammatory arthritis condition so while I'm not that old I have multiple joints with arthritis.

As far as fish oil goes there is a product I thin is also made by nutrimax called OmegaMint, that can really help reduce nasty fishy burps and aftertaste.
    You can't fix stupid.... but you can breed it!

Haha on the typo, darn IPad. Currently I take GNC tri-flex and it just doesn't work for me anymore. Thanks for the suggestions, wrote them down and heading to the Max-Wellness store.

No supplements work for me That's why I don't give my horses oral joint supplements either. The only thing that works is going to the gym every day. I know that might sound counter-intuitive, but I was just talking about it with a friend who has the same issue. If we don't work out, we ache. And, yep, sometimes we have to change what we're doing. I used to run 5-6 days a week. Now I mix in cycling and even walking.

Quote Originally Posted by Horsegal984 View Post
    Actually there is a human variety, called Cosamin ASU that is in non-yucky flavored capsules. It's what ive been on and woks great. I have an inflammatory arthritis condition so while I'm not that old I have multiple joints with arthritis.

As far as fish oil goes there is a product I thin is also made by nutrimax called OmegaMint, that can really help reduce nasty fishy burps and aftertaste.
    Yeah, I was taking the Cosamin ASU. When I got to reading the label I realized that it is almost exactly the same as what my horse gets. I buy it by the 1300g jar, and the small amount I take barely makes a dent. I should look into getting the fillable capsules though.

I take flax oil capsules instead of fish oil, but maybe I'll try the OmegaMint if it doesn't come with fish burps.
    It is only through labor and painful effort, by grim energy and resolute courage, that we move on to better things.
    Theodore Roosevelt

CM Response from SmartPak, look under rider supplements. Same as Cetyl-M for horses and dogs. Worked for several friends with deteriorating and inflamed knees.
    Comprehensive Equestrian Site Planning and Facility Design
    www.lynnlongplanninganddesign.com