The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I'm near you, but haven't had ants where I live, despite the soaking ground.

You can use any powder and basically put a line of it around your house. Ants don't like it. It can be boric acid, cinnamon, borax, anything. They don't like the powder--it cuts them up. It works amazingly well. If you want your house to smell nice, use baby powder.

Just put it wherever they are and make a roadblock. You'll see they won't go there anymore. Then, when you find out where they are getting in, massive powder pile!

Pacific NW

Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Pony View Post
    I wonder if there's something special about Cinnamon? I have used Turmeric in the past but it stains things. Today my counters and ant lines are covered in Cumin! I don't have any ground cinnamon around...

fwiw, the Simple Green with Cumin seems to be helping...
    I little dish soap in water in a spray bottle kills them dead! In a hurry. Then the dish soap erases their lines so the new ones can't find them.... My non-insecticide approach to the issue when I lived in CA. As I am soon heading back, I don't look forward to ant wars.... I also used the bait traps and one worked better than the others, but can't remember which now.....but I think it was one that used grease for bait...

Worst case was when we went on vacation and the racoons broke into the house and opened all the cat food bags...spread it around and then the ants came in to eat it.....

used to have a moat around the cat food dish so they wouldn't get into it....
    Turn off the computer and go ride!

SF Bay Area

I've had them too ... all around my kitchen sink and counters since Christmas morning. I'm tired of wiping them up. A friend recommended Windex, but that hasn't worked thus far. They dwindle for a bit then reconvene, bringing in the reinforcements.

The Armpit of BC

I don't recall her name now but I was reading a book by an animal communicator. She had an ant invasion and simply told the ants that she would have to kill them if they did not leave. They pulled up stakes and vamoosed.

Yeah, that form of extermination might not work for most of us. With my luck, that would be the signal for the queen to march in and set up her nest.

We have had major problems with sugar ants this past year. The only thing that will kill them and keep them away is Terro. They get worse for a day or two, and then voila, they are all gone.