Aftermath of a fall: Favoring her LH and dragging those toes.
About 4 weeks ago my darling mare took a fall in her pasture. It was wet and muddy and she got chased by a stray dog. All appeared to be fine other than some localized swelling in her hock, a little heat there as well, and just overall general soreness on that side of her body.
Now that there is no swelling, no heat, she is just dead lame in that leg. She fell on her left side, and now drags her LH toe. Her stifle also pops on occasion. For a week afterwards, she would not put much weight on that leg unless she absolutely needed to. Then she used it fine. Running & trotting all throughout her two-acre turnout, and even an occasional rear.
And now we are back to square one. Favoring her leg, and dragging her toes.
Farrier will be here within the week to check for bruises stones, abscesses, etc.
She is my first horse, and now I am at a loss as two what to do. She was a Christmas gift (I’ve always leased horses until now) and she means the world to me. I love her dearly. I’ve talked to one friend and she said to wait until I get an evaluation from the farrier before I go to the vet so I can rule out the hoof problems.
I just don’t know what to do. I refuse to ride her in the condition she is in, and she loves being rode, especially in the creek.
What am I to do? Feeling so down as I just don’t know what to do about it. My heart is breaking for my mare. I just truly do not know what to do.
What did the vet say? You did call the vet, right? Oh no, you didn't. Vet is the first stop...the vet can diagnose stone bruises etc, as well as doing an entire lameness exam. How long has she been lame and what are you waiting for?
My guess is that she aggravated something being out and running around. Could be an abscess but it is oddly convenient that it is the LH when that is the side she fell on and the side that was sore after the fall. There are any number of things that it could be - I would have the vet out again and have a lameness exam done on her of her LH.
Have the vet out now. Make an emergency call for tomorrow if necessary. Better to get x-rays now and rule out a fracture. If the vet finds any specific area of soreness on palpation- she can also do an ultrasound to rule out tendon/ligament damage.
Until the vet gets there, I'd personally have the horse on stall rest. I'd also be cold hosing or icing the leg just in case.